Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogart robbing a jeweler in Paris

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
A friend of mine gave me a newspaper clipping with a short article:

"So, of all the jewelers in the world

A gunman dressed like Humphrey Bogart staged a £10million, two-minute robbery at a famous Paris jewelers. The thief, who was dressed in one of the Casablanca actor's trademark fedora hats and bespoke suits, calmly walked into the Chopard store brandishing a pistol. He then 'politely' asked staff to fill a bag with precious gems, designer watches and other costly accessories - the sort that have attracted clients such as Kate Winslet and Penelope Cruz. 'Within a couple of minutes he was gone with up to ten millions' worth," said a police spokesman. 'He was in his 50s and looked pretty distinguished.'"

I thought this was quite interesting. On the news it referred to him as a well dressed man in a suit and a fedora hat. I like the way a fedora and suit is automatically well dressed these days, while 50 years ago it would be commonly dressed.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hope they DON'T catch him, since he has class!

Except maybe that was his idea of a disguise, and in real life, he only wears track suits...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
He was obviously Pepe Le Moko. Strange to think the French don't even remember their own cultural heritage. Jean Gabin, in the original French version, or Charles Boyer, in the American one. GREAT films, both of them.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
now that is slick...

props to the man...

funny that they automatically referred to him as "bogart"...

lollol ...why not cagney or robinson? come on! change it up a bit! :p

donCarlos

Practically Family
Nice!

Now it´s time to ressurect Arsen Lupin, the gentleman thief. So when you see in the news something about a robber in white tie and top-hat, you know who... :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Come to think about it...since most securitycameras are placed rather high, choosing to wear a fedora, the brim might have covered his face - or parts of it. Clever!!!!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Spitfire said:
Come to think about it...since most securitycameras are placed rather high, choosing to wear a fedora, the brim might have covered his face - or parts of it. Clever!!!!

That was my first thought. Many banks around here have a "remove your hats and sunglasses upon entry" sign on the door now.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
...plus another benefit: When he strolls out of the shop, he just looks like a "could be (slightly excentric) customer/gent" and not a robber with balaclava.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR