Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books on Late 30's/Early 40's Style & Suits

Whithead

Familiar Face
Newbie here...just learning to appreciate the Golden Age of, well, just about everything!

I am a fairly big guy (6'2", 240, 50L Jacket, 38 waist, etc) and am looking for some books or other materials that have examples of late 30's suits and other clothes...think Gary Cooper.

Looking to order first Magnoli suit and want to get it as "right" as possible.

Any help or hints appreciated!

Alan

Wash In Lux

One of the Regulars
There's not much substitute for the real thing. Check the auction place for old catalogs. Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc. The "Apparel Arts" books are very cool but, typically on the more expensive side. The Ward's catalogs typically sell for less than Sears. The catalogs are cool because they're packed with everything you can think of, not just clothes. Neat to look at all the stuff available back then.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Take a look and a read through the many many threads here on the lounge. There's a wealth of knowledge, and scans from many of the aforementioned publications on the boards.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I you want books I recommend:

-Everyday Fashions of the Thirties As Pictured in Sears Catalogs
-All-American Ads of the 30s
-1930s The Hulton Getty Picture Collection

Also use the stickys in this forum to find the right threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick