Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots for heavy rain

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Tired of wearing some Sperry topsiders in the rain only to have them sorta leak when i step in puddles. It gets maybe 3 days of snow a year here in Memphis so snow boots might be overkill. Also, the winters are mildish, we may get a cold snap where it is below freezing but most times, it is above freezing even in winter. So I am thinking insulated boots might not be desireable.

Saw some Hunter brand Chelsea boots and then there is the venerable LL Bean boots in various forms. I don't want to spend a lot but then again, I don't think I would find them in some store like Payless.

Thoughts on a chelsea or a moc style over say the 6 inch Bean? How do they run compared to say my 9D that I wear in loafers and dress shoes (Nike tennis shoes, I take a 10 or 10.5)

If I go with Hunter, these are the three I have looked at:

These Hunters are a 10 and attractively priced Since I am a nine, I could get an insole.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442330277&site_refer=CSE_GGLPRADS001_LT&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwp_UBRD7ARIsAMie3XYV0V0E259zkSDWfgqRNp4Q_aPzGK97sVak9qZuSxxRVZEBL-40sI4aAtNkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Another Chelsea
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUNTER-ORIGINAL-REFINED-CHELSEA-men-Bitter-Chocolate-Gum-US-9/162895407358?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

A black Wellington, maybe too high of a cut?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hunter-Short-Black-Mens-Rain-Mid-calf-Wellington-Boots-Size-9-US/132508810681?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I've had very good luck with some Ecco's, sometimes can even find them on sale. Mine are 10 years old and still going strong.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I like those Eccos (track II boots I assume?) quite a bit. Pretty robust. I know there was some controversy years ago with premature sole distinegration, but seems to be resolved. I believe they’re an oil-pulled nubuck type of leather. Have worn those in all sorts of conditions. Maybe a bit hikerish stylistically which may not gel with OP’s wants, but I like Eccos a lot.

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
I don't know Welles but I will second what Dav and barnabus say about the less expensive brands. I too have spent more than I need on the "well made" brands, but my all-time favorite go-to motorcycle boot is still the Corcoran (HH) tanker boot. They're around $100 bucks and I've bought maybe three pair over the years, all of which are still going strong. Though they aren't sold as "waterproof" they have a leather gusset that is sewn up to just above the instep which serves to keep water out of the top, and the Goodyear welt may as well be billed as waterproof because I've never had a pair leak on me. I've ridden with these boots on in some drenching downpours (most recently last Saturday on a 160-mile ride through the mountains where it rained for 80 of those miles) and had only a little dampness here and there on the inside. But you must note, no matter what rain gear you ride in, water will eventually get in somewhere.

They're ugly as homemade sin but they're inexpensive and work just great.

3fingers

One Too Many
Interesting. In this area something like these are known as Wellingtons. What you've posted are known as muck boots.
RW01105C_MUL_N1_0115.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Never understood the Hunter thing. Sure, buy quality and that costs more and everything, but paying eighty-five quid for a pair of wellies - and that for *fashion's* sake?????

This from a guy who spent several scout camps being viciously, mercilessly mocked by guys with wet feet for daring to be seen in wellies. Which I then hated. Despite my dry feet. Yaggoddalaff, aintcha?

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I wear LL Bean boots, but like these quite a bit.

https://stutterheim.com/usa/chelsea-rainwalker-blk-grey

Seriously looking at the 6 inch or 8 inch Bean duck boots. Chelseas or slip on, been reading that sometimes they rub on your foot since they can run a bit big. Laceups seem to help with that. Since I will be running doing errands and not hiking, I had seen these Sperry boots at a great price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sperry-Top...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I guess I can put insoles into anyone I get to help with comfort. Anyone else have the LL Beans or equivalent?

Peacoat

Bartender
Seriously looking at the 6 inch or 8 inch Bean duck boots. Chelseas or slip on, been reading that sometimes they rub on your foot since they can run a bit big. Laceups seem to help with that. Since I will be running doing errands and not hiking, I had seen these Sperry boots at a great price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sperry-Top-Sider-Decoy-Men-US-9-Brown-Rain-Boot-Blemish-13507/142673709061?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I guess I can put insoles into anyone I get to help with comfort. Anyone else have the LL Beans or equivalent?
I have several pair of LL Beans. All of mine are insulated as the Nashville area gets substantially colder than Memphis. I've been wearing them for 30 years or so with good results. I got them for wear around the barn in the wet, mud and muck, but also wear them out in polite company when it is raining hard. I think I have the 6" tops, which helps keep the water out.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Peacoat and Grayland ;

I'm thinking Bean is the way to go.

I do like the Chesea look in the Bean but they may be loose feeling. Mocs would be susceptible to rain puddles going over the side. The three eyelet gumshoe is doable . On looks, to me it's the 6 inch or the gumshoe

Does 6 or 8 inch make a big difference since no big snow inMemphis? Definitely getting theinsulated

Another thing, they have a bison upper on one pair. More desireable?

One pair with red bottoms are sold out in my size

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
For you the 8" would only mean more to lace up. Go for the 6", it is simpler. I think all of my Beans are 6". If we have more snow than that, I just wear another boot that is higher. You won't need it.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Would have been my suggestion too. Wellies are cheap as chips.
Potato for potato, chips are certainly not cheap:p
But speaking of keeping your feet dry British Army assault boots, probably superseded by now as you can buy brand new pairs on the open market. The older 'Northern Ireland' boots were pretty good too.

barnabus

One Too Many
Potato for potato, chips are certainly not cheap:p
But speaking of keeping your feet dry British Army assault boots, probably superseded by now as you can buy brand new pairs on the open market. The older 'Northern Ireland' boots were pretty good too.
Ha, true enough!

But as you can buy wellies for as little as £12 (or whatever US equivalent), OP might just as well get some and throw them away of he doesn't like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner