Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought a Lost Worlds A2, is this wrinkling normal?

irow

New in Town
I bought a Lost Worlds A2 3oz horsehide leather jacket on sale. There is wrinkling on the right side of the jacket, I think the leather is a bit thinner there. I am afraid after some time it will rip (especially at the stress point at the top left corner of the pocket) and I won't be able to say anything because I have worn it for a while.

What does Fedora Lounge think?

img00182201212011306.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I can see your concern about the panels on each side not matching up very well. Is that the reason it was on the 'sale page' at greatly reduced cost? I wouldn't think there would be much likelihood of tearing unless the jacket is very tight at the top left corner of the pocket. Since his jackets on his 'sale page' are not returnable, I would probably enjoy the jacket and forget about it. I am told that it is much better to have any disputed charge on a credit card rather than Paypal unless it is an Ebay encounter.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
That isn't 3 oz HH as advertised. It's returnable ... not as advertised. I'd throw it back at em'. He probably reasoned you're not going to send it back, dealing with customs and all. Typical for that guy. A real class act.

Brian

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WOW! This is precisely how many Wartime A2s looked when they were made with mis-matched horsehide. It looks great IMO and I think you got a bargain there.

andyfalzon

Vendor
This hide is 3oz as he says. The tannery makes the hides 3oz but sometimes in certain areas they end up slightly less or slightly more thick. They are all in the same batch or even in the same skin. Sometimes at some areas of the skin the leather coherence is such that even though it measures 3oz with the gauge, it feels thinner. Leather is a natural product and not some man made plastic that can be made exactly. This mismatched pieces are part of the beauty of A-2 jackets, although in other cases e.g. fashion jackets, they are sometimes left out, increasing the amount of material used, hence the cost. Do not worry about durability, the hide is strong and nothing is going to happen to it. Some people like this effect, some people don't. It is a problem with online shopping for leather and a big headache for vendors. I would agree with Andrew in this case.

Last edited:

Peter_E

Familiar Face
For what it's worth, my LW Horsehide Suburban has an area that is a bit more wrinkley than the rest. I think it is just the nature of the leather. In time, it should all blend in to create the Horsehide patina that you want.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Think of a horsehide leather jacket like the human face...both are organic with naturally occurring blemishes and some parts are more wrinkled, some parts are smoother, some places seem like the skin is thinner or thicker, but it's the subtle as well as the pronounced differences that make the jacket (or face) unique! It's a cool, unique jacket that will look better and better as it ages and breaks in! Enjoy it! :)

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
The variation in grain/patina is similar to a vintage Perry Sportswear 42-16175-P A-2 that I once owned. The horsehide was quite mismatched.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've a 20 year old Avirext A2 in Horse hide and one side is far more nuanced than the other. I love the loft wrinkled feel of that side of the jacket and wish the whole thing was like that.

Worf

Amazing what some think they can tell from an out of focus photograph.[huh] This is the kind of B/S that just muddies the waters (see Aero HH thread).

That isn't 3 oz HH as advertised. It's returnable ... not as advertised. I'd throw it back at em'. He probably reasoned you're not going to send it back, dealing with customs and all. Typical for that guy. A real class act.

Brian

tonypaj

Practically Family
Aero threads seem to have managed to raise some kind of mass panic reaction... It's funny, people try to figure out all kinds of ways to "break in" a jacket, then at the same time people get upset about leather being "broken in" looking. Eventually this jacket, if worn a lot, will look like a leather jacket that's been worn a lot. I had a Stuart made of mismatched HH a couple of years back. Now I cannot tell which parts were mismatched, everything looks worn...

majormajor

One Too Many
As others have said - an excellent "authentic WW2" looking jacket.

Highly prized in a few years, I fancy:D;)

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Amazing what some think they can tell from an out of focus photograph.[huh] This is the kind of B/S that just muddies the waters (see Aero HH thread).

I've dealt with Stuart, it may not be appropriate in this case, but I know what I'm talking about.

Brian

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy