Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Box-back coat

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah..

I've wandered the same thing. I wonder if it is a term for a belted back type of style. I'm not sure; it's just a shot in the dark. I've heard that term before and when I've heard it, it was paired with a pair of button shoes.;)

Could be a 1900 or 1910's term. I'd like to hear the answer as much as you would I'm sure.

=WR=

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps a box-back coat has a box pleat on the back. I think those are the kind that have the folds facing in opposite directions:

F<<<<< >>>>>F
O<<<<< >>>>>O
L<<<<< >>>>>L
D<<<<< >>>>>D

Where are Marc Chevalier or Mrty M, they'll know the answer to this question.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
"When I die, I want you to dress me in straight-laced shoes
Box-back coat and a Stetson hat
Put a twenty- dollar gold piece on my watch chain,
So the boys will know that I died standin' pat."

This is from St. James Infirmary Blues, the earliest recording with these lyrics date back to the 20's, although versions with different lyrics predate these. So I'd imagine a box back coat is a 20's or 10's item. Here a link to the history behind St. James Infirmaryhttp://www.yehoodi.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=74618&highlight=james+infirmary

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i would guess that 'box' comes from 'box-pleat'....the kind of pleat where two inward facing folds meet up....as found down the centre-back of some belt-back jackets and morning coats.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I've seen sportcoats with two vertical pleats, outward folding (one on each side of the back), running down from each shoulder seam to the bottom of the coat. These two pleats, so widely spaced from each other, give a distinctly square shape to the back of the jacket.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
It took 8 years but here is the answer. The box back coat is the one on the left.

Attachments

• smprogress16.jpg
    smprogress16.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 10,312

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Box backs were a downright essential fixture of late '40s and early '50s hipster style. To provide a specific definition, a box back is one without a center seam.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I suspect the box back coat was a new fashion in New Orleans in the 1890s or early 1900s when the song was written.

The long tail Prince Albert coat hung on in the south long after the war, and before that the swallow tail and claw hammer coats were common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24