Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boyo joins the club.. New Aero 30's Half Belt

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Well, I finally made it.. I opened the box on my new Aero 30's Half Belt a day ago...My first

Specs:
30's Half Belt in Cordovan FQHH
Size 48
Lochcarron tartan lining
length added to the body and sleeves
brass hardware

I was denied the addition of the cord hem as well as cord lined pockets during the lead up to the build, I didn't put up much of an argument when notified of their reluctance to these requests

The tartan lining is not as "hefty" as I though it might be. I ordered the Reiver, the lightest weight, but I think the Brairach weight would have been better. I'll have to see how the lining holds up especially without the hem.

The jacket came with Aero stamped zippers, which I had come to believe (I read somewhere here) were not used anymore, in lieu of Talon zips. I didn't ask to upgrade to talon though,but I thought i would mention it.

Regarding sizing I asked for additional length to the sleeves and back, specifically 26.5 inch sleeves and 27 inch back... I measure these to be some what less than ordered at 25 inch sleeves and 26.5 inch back.. The jacket fits though.. So I guess they know what they are doing there :)

I am a solid 48 inch chest with an almost 9 inch drop to a 39 inch waist.. The jacket fits good across my chest with no arm hole tightness or issues. I asked for a little room for a light layer and I definitely have it.. the waist is a bit loose but I expect that with the above drop.. I did not ask to have the pattern changed to accommodate this drop.

The sleeves feel good and I really like the leather lined button cuff.

The leather is really nice with well matched panels, a great color... being cordovan there are brown, black and red tones through out.. I think the color is really cool.

The weather in my part of New York has been cold, wet and snowy up until Monday, I finally get this jacket (which I ordered in November) and today the Temps were in he 60's.. I guess I'll be waiting until next fall to get this thing some good use, right now I am wearing it inside, strange looks from the family and all..
232323232%7Ffp543%3B9%3Enu%3D82%3B9%3E%3B39%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3645793%3A%3B%3B34%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3C3%3Enu%3D82%3B9%3E%3B39%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D364578687934%3Anu0mrj

I'll try to get some outdoor photo's up soon,

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Boyo - congratulations on your new Aero, sounds great, bet you're loving that new leather aroma. Surprised to see the error in sleeve length provided to what was requested, 26.5" to 25" is big difference so pleased in turned out ok.

Looking forward to the pics, we don't see enough Cordovan hides here. Enjoy!

Jackrinse

New in Town
Pit to pit

Hi Boyo
Could you please tell me what the measurement from pit to pit is please?

Can't wait to see your pics.......

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Congrats!

Pity about the corduroy hem. Is this their general policy now or just for short jackets? I could understand their reluctance regarding the leather hems to a degree (though I am more than happy with my half belt and don't see any of the adverse effects claimed by Aero, whereas I have seen a lot of jackets with no hem and sagging linings on this board). But denying customers the cord hems as well actually decreases the quality of the jackets IMO.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I thought Holly came on here a couple of weeks ago and wrote that of course they will put cord hems on if requested. Even though her father doesn't think that they're needed apart from on HWM and suchlike where the hem can rub against belt loops.

schitzo

Suspended
I thought Holly came on here a couple of weeks ago and wrote that of course they will put cord hems on if requested. Even though her father doesn't think that they're needed apart from on HWM and suchlike where the hem can rub against belt loops.

Yep she did, but I think Boyo had his order in before then - and as he says he wasn't insistent.

Nice choice of colour there Boyo I'll be interested to learn if it bleeds at all. And of course in your pics too! Hurry up with those:D

wdw

One Too Many
I'm looking forward to seeing Boyo's jacket, especially in cordovan. You're lucky you're happy with such a big sleeve discrepancy though, so maybe your original spec was wrong for you.

With regard to the "bleeding" comments that occasionally crop up, I had that on my cordovan storse, but not on my two genuine cordovan FQHHs. There don't seem to have been any recent complaints, so maybe that problem has gone away now.

schitzo

Suspended
Awesome colour Boyo and you definitely didn't need that extra length on the body. Sleeves might lose 0.25-0.5" so those look to be right on the threshold to me. If you don't like long sleeves (I do) I guess they're just about right. Nice job!

So does it bleed at all?

All the best
Schitz

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Lookin' good, Boyo. How about a back shot? You seem to have the very dark cordovan I have, which is lovely.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Very good looking jacket and congratulations. I am becoming more and more enamored with the cordovan FQHH but have had some concern because of what has been said previously regarding bleeding. I wonder why cordovan would be the only color (colour :D) to bleed. I think that I recall Wade (Insurrection) telling me that he has also that black can also bleed early on but have not seen any bleeding with my black vintage horsehide highwayman and wonder what precipitating factor(s) might induce bleeding. Anyhow, it was not my intention to hijack Boyo's thread and have to love the appearance of this cordovan FQHH jacket.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Awsome jacket .... great colour ( as many have said) and it suits you sir ... wear it well.

:)

Consider yourself lucky the sleeves aren't 1.5" longer! It's a great jacket, and aside form Windward, not many cordovans here. From the front, the fit looks great. Congrats. Nw the obligatory: go beat it!

Edward

Bartender
Congrats!

Pity about the corduroy hem. Is this their general policy now or just for short jackets? I could understand their reluctance regarding the leather hems to a degree (though I am more than happy with my half belt and don't see any of the adverse effects claimed by Aero, whereas I have seen a lot of jackets with no hem and sagging linings on this board). But denying customers the cord hems as well actually decreases the quality of the jackets IMO.

I'll be interested to hear how it wears. I've got a small leather hem in the 30s halfbelt I bought (technically used) from Aero's sale page, about a 2" strip. I don't think it has ever distorted the jacket, but I don't know how necessary it is either. My Bootlegger doesn't have any such hem - back when I ordered it, I wasn't hip to such things, so it's the standard hem, as is my Highwayman. The Highwayman is a year old - much wear, no damage. Very hard wearing cotton drill fabric, lighter (mid weight) steer hide. I suspect wear would be more likely with heavier hides. My Bootlegger, now three years old, has only had to have one small repair, but that was moth damage rather than wear. :Lining there is a tartan wool - not sure which weight, tbh. Again, when I ordered there was only one of which I was aware. In the original position, I'd probably want the leather strip. Now, while I've had no bad experience with the one I have, I'm also yet to find it a bad thing. I tend to like my jackets over-engineered (probably why I like the heavy Horween hides so much), but I'm happy the leather strip isn't necessary. Certainly not worth the extra £50 that used to be charged for it. I'd like to try the corduroy, which I think I recall was offered 'for free', but I'm not as inclined to it being necessary based on my experience with jackets. The one big drawback I think with the leather strip is that it makes it harder to relined a jacket should that become necessary - hopefully not in my lifetime, as the Halfbelt is that heavy gaberdine Aero use for the shell of their B10.

Boyo, that's a cracking looking jacket. What size is the breast pocket? Is it the same 4" wide and rather deep (6" or so) one as on the Bootlegger?

pauleway

Practically Family
I know some guys like their sleeves a little longer, but for my preference, your sleeve and body length are right on the money. If they made a mistake in your measurments, I think they did you a favor. Beautiful jacket - Great fit!!!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I know some guys like their sleeves a little longer, but for my preference, your sleeve and body length are right on the money. If they made a mistake in your measurments, I think they did you a favor. Beautiful jacket - Great fit!!!

I agree with Pauleway: The jacket looks great on you. :thumb:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Boyo!!!! You magnificent ba***rd!!!! I like your look!!!!! (think George C. Scott). Love that cordovan hide man. More pics... lets see it in the light... I HAVE to see the liner and a back shot. 30's too slim a style for me but I think you pull it off alright. Thanks for sharing buddy and congrats.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn