Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brand new member - RMW Leather Drover Jacket

dan_t

Practically Family
Hi all,

Just found this great site and have to say, what a great source of info and such a range of diverse posts!
Couldn't find an 'introductions' page, so figured I'd place this here - Mods, if this is incorrect, please feel free to move.

I'm keen to get your thoughts on this jacket that I purchased earlier this winter (I live in Sydney, Australia so just entering spring now).

It's a thickish Steerhide RM Williams Drover jacket hand made right here in Australia. It is modelled on a late 1940's pattern with an action back and double vents with a slightly longer length. I loved the look of the jacket in the shop, but have been in two minds ever since I brought it home. I guess I've never really 'bonded' with it.

It really is a beautifully made jacket with fantastic leather.

What do you think (be nice to a newbie)?

Images deleted by dan_t

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
We feel free to heap abuse on anyone here, even newbies. HOWEVER, I am unable to find a single thing about your jacket to criticize, including fit. We should all be so fortunate as to find anything this nice as a first. Congratulations and welcome to TFL. :thumb:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
We feel free to heap abuse on anyone here, even newbies. HOWEVER, I am unable to find a single thing about your jacket to criticize, including fit. We should all be so fortunate as to find anything this nice as a first. Congratulations and welcome to TFL. :thumb:

+100

Hi, and welcome!
+101
That's once killer coat you got there, I don't see what might be troubling you about it. Leather's beautiful, looks great and practical... Did you have this tailored? Fit looks just too perfect for an OTR.

dan_t

Practically Family
Thanks all, no tailoring at all just plenty of time in the shop trying on different sized coats.
As they are hand made, no two are exactly the same. Close, but not identical.
I guess I'm broad up top (44" chest) and narrowish waist (34"). This does present its own unique challenges finding a good fit that's not too boxy. Particularly with a '40's fit jacket.

dan_t

Practically Family
Thanks everyone.
It was quite a different style to what I'd normally wear (close cut cafe style) & probably just felt 'different' that's all.
Should be nice, it wasn't cheap! Over AUD $1,000 purchase price!

IXL

One Too Many
What an interesting jacket! I like it, and can't imagine why you haven't managed to bond with it, yet. I wonder if those Williams folks ship abroad.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Wasn't aware RMW did leather jackets, their boots are very well known. For a long style I think this looks fine and the fit looks made to measure.
Welcome to the lounge!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
These were made under licence and were copies of the costume jacket Hugh Jackman wears in Baz Luhrman's movie "Australia". His character was called Drover. My understanding is the jacket is a contemporary pattern that was inspired by a vintage style.

RM Williams used to make leather jackets in the 1950s-60s when it was still a family business.

These Drover jackets are fairly thick 2.5 oz but the sizes are small. I had to wear an XXL when I usually wear a 42.

dan_t

Practically Family
Interesting that you said that.
I found the sizes to be very generous. I normally wear a size 42R business suit, have a chest measurement of 44" & had to drop to a size Medium for a good fit!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Dan T, I know how you feel about being "in two minds" with your new jacket. Rarely have I purchased something I've felt 100% at ease with when new. I'd argue the satisfaction of your purchase will be brought out in time, perhaps when it's broken in a bit. But give this one some time, as it's really a nice one. I'm surprised I've never seen RM jackets mentioned here, as it looks on par with the other makers.

dan_t

Practically Family
Thanks nick123, perhaps that's just it.
Maybe I simply need to wear it and have it shape to my body! It sits brilliantly when done up, but kind of holds itself open rather than 'falls' with the body when undone. I'm certain that it will shape beautifully with a bit more wear and improve with use.
As mentioned in the original post, I do think it is a lovely jacket, otherwise I wouldn't have shelled out for it to begin with.

Great place this; thanks for all of the input - I think I've just gotten over any issues I 'thought' I had and have now realised (thanks in no small part to you well educated and mannered Gentlemen) that I actually love this jacket!!

:eusa_clap

winterland1

Practically Family
Very unique looking jacket. As others said looks like it was made for you. Wear the heck out of it and it will break in nicely and conform as you mentioned.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think the body rigidness plagues most of the heavier jackets we have here. The front panels seem to be the hardest/last spot to break in.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting that you said that.
I found the sizes to be very generous. I normally wear a size 42R business suit, have a chest measurement of 44" & had to drop to a size Medium for a good fit!

I tired on the first series of these before the film was released. I suspect that the small sizing proved to be a problem so they may well have relabeled them all. They also made this jacket in a dry oilcloth. I nearly bought the leather version of the Drover but ended up getting a more period acurate half-belt made for me at a fraction of the price by Mars leathers in Melbourne.

In the movie I don't remember if Hugh Jackman wore this jacket in leather or cloth.

I should add that I think this Drover looks good. It fits you well. Stay with it. The lack of a zip is a bit irritating.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy