Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bread, the staff of life...

Ugarte

A-List Customer
HepKitty said:
Beer Bread

2 2/3 Cups self-rising flour
12 oz. can beer, freshly opened, chilled or at room temperature

1. Heat over to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 x 3 in. loaf pan.

2. Put flour in a medium bowl. Add beer and stir with spatula until
mixed and flour is moistened completely. Scrape into prepared pan.

3. Bake 50-55 minutes until top is lightly browned, sides pull away
from pan and pick inserted near center comes out clean.

4. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 min., then turn out on rack to cool.

5. To serve: Cut in 1/2 think slices with serrated bread knife.

I have also added some grated cheese and/or some garlic powder on
occasion. Good!

**Butter the top as soon as it comes out of oven to help soften the top.
It has a hard crust. And wait a while before cutting it.

Recipes are good (as is beer).

Thanks Hepkitty!

Mark

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HepKitty said:
Beer Bread

2 2/3 Cups self-rising flour
12 oz. can beer, freshly opened, chilled or at room temperature ...

The Beer Bread recipe sounds really good (and easy). However, I think I would use a six-pack of beer. That's one for the mix, and five to drink when the bread comes out of the oven. ;)

Big Man

Yeast rolls

My grandmother used to make the best yeast rolls. She baked them in an old Dutch oven that she'd used since she started housekeeping in 1904. I have no idea what her recipe was, as it was never written down. The rolls were as light as a feather. I've tried a lot of yeast roll recipes looking for something that was close to the ones she made, but without luck.

I still have her old Dutch oven. It sure would be good to have some of "Maw's" yeast rolls again ...

unaspenser

New in Town
HepKitty said:
thanks for sharing, I'll try it eventually. welcome btw, where in Idaho?

I'm smack in the middle of Boise. :) You?

ETA: I've never tried beer bread... can you taste the beer?

HepKitty

One Too Many
Ugarte: you're welcome, enjoy!

Big Man said:
The Beer Bread recipe sounds really good (and easy). However, I think I would use a six-pack of beer. That's one for the mix, and five to drink when the bread comes out of the oven. ;)

lol yes one could guess that was your plan

Unaspenser: poky. the best thing around here is the rock climbing. I like Boise well enough though

HepKitty

One Too Many
here's another one for the beer fanatics :)

Butter Beer Batter Bread

3 c self rising flour
1/4c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz beer
1/2 c finely chopped fresh oregano
1/2 c melted butter

1 medium loaf pan, greased, 350F

Mix dry ingredients, then stir in the beer and oregano. make sure ingredients are blended. pour into loaf pan, and pour melted butter on top. bake 40-50 minutes, until golden brown. remove pan from oven, wait 15 minutes before removing loaf from pan. cool on wire rack upside down to let any remaining butter soak into the loaf

*if not using self rising flour, use all purpose with 1 tsp baking powder and another 1/2 tsp salt

Nikx

New in Town
This thread reminds me of an after school program that I joined in 8th grade. We would bake breads of different kinds each week, take 1 loaf home each and the rest was donated! :cool:

HepKitty

One Too Many
Nikx said:
This thread reminds me of an after school program that I joined in 8th grade. We would bake breads of different kinds each week, take 1 loaf home each and the rest was donated! :cool:

wow that's awesome, more people need to learn to make bread. yes it takes practice and different types will behave differently but it's worth the effort. man I lived in the wrong place we never had anything fun like that in school

unaspenser

New in Town
HepKitty said:
Unaspenser: poky. the best thing around here is the rock climbing. I like Boise well enough though

Nice! Good fly fishing around there... I have lots of family in your neck of the woods as well.

To keep this on-topic, my sourdough starter died the other day! Not sure what I did wrong, as nothing changed in how I care for it, etc. Poor little thing. Anyway, I had to start a new colony and cheated a bit by adding some store-bought yeast to get it started. It'll be a while before I have that realllly lovely sour taste. Oh well.

HepKitty

One Too Many
unaspenser said:
It'll be a while before I have that realllly lovely sour taste. Oh well.

cheat: use a little cider vinegar :p

or whatever kind of vinegar you want, depending on what kind of bread you're planning. sometimes if I use balsamic vinegar i'll just use the whole thing and make another sour plain for later

Undertow

I make my own bread on occasion. About a year ago, I was making two 2lb loaves a week. I've slowed down to one every 4 months. I plan to ramp it up again soon. I love the stuff!

rumblefish

One Too Many
Does anyone ever make lard bread?

After you've cut up and rendered pork fat to lard, you're left with all these wonderful crispy/crunchies.

I make the dough with my starter, kneed, and after the initial rise, punch down and flatten out. Sprinkle over the crunchies with some salt and roll tightly, twist, and form to make a horseshoe.
Sometimes cubed prosciutto finds it's way into the mix.;)

HepKitty

One Too Many
ok this is a new one on me... I'm afraid that as a recovering vegetarian I still avoid pork grease like the plague, so this is not one I would try. if someone wanted me to make it for them, and they did the job of rendering the fat for me, I'd probably do it. as long as they take me out for a nice dinner and movie lol

:eek:fftopic: I rendered beef tallow once, and it was disgusting. I won't be doing that again

Big Man

rumblefish said:
... After you've cut up and rendered pork fat to lard, you're left with all these wonderful crispy/crunchies ...

Sounds like what we call "cracklins". A good hot pone of cracklin cornbread is good eating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy