Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breeks/Knickerbockers question

Alon

One of the Regulars
I'd love to get my hands on a pair of breeks or plus-twos for the summer and fall seasons, particularly for long bicycle rides. However, I can't afford the $100+ price tag of most breeks I've seen on the internet (including eBay). I thought of taking a pair of dress pants to a local tailor and ask him to convert it to breeks. Is this feasible? Would you recommend I have breeks made out of a soft and thin material that feels like typical suit pants or should they be made of something stronger/thicker? If my tailor has no idea what I'm asking for, how can I explain to him what I want besides asking for "shorts" that fit tightly below the knee?

Thank you for your help!

I'm surprised you can't find them cheaper.

I'd have them made out of a rugged, outdoorsy fabric, as they were generally intended for rugged and outdoorsy pursuits. Even a thick linen, for playing golf and the likes.

For a tailor to alter trousers to knickerbockers they will have to be very full at the knee.

bk

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Don't they actually need a bit of flare, in addition to fullness,
to get the fall and shape working?

There are the type which do look just like sawn-off trousers, which tighten just below the knee, though. But then again, fix the trousers at the knee and you get a pulling/restriction problem when you bend your leg.

Corduroy.

B
T

Alon

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your help, gents.

Would you recommend argyle socks with a pair of breeks if I'm wearing them in the city (lounging, bicycling, etc.)? Or would that send the impression of a lost golfer?

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
thrift store goodies

My favorite pair of "vintage" pants are a pair of egyptian linen pants I bought at the Goodwill thrift store. Clubroom brand, probably from the '80's they were about two sizes to big in the waiste but really nice pair of pants and in good condition. Well I took them in at the waist which resulted in a much higher waist. They also had a watch pocket already sewn into the front below the waist band between the front pocket and the fly. I added some suspender buttons and removed the belt loops. The legs made for a larger person than me, were quite roomy more like the pants of the early 30's. I paired them with some vintage suspenders I bought online from the 30's and they look like the real deal. oh, and I paid $6 for the pants plus thread and the time to do the work on them myself.

So I say hit up your local thrift stores. I look for

1) old fashioned looking fabric textures/weaves.
2) a little oversized in the waist and leg so I can alter them or have them altered by a tailor.
3) find a tailor who is old school who understands the styles of at least the 50's like this guy I found in Studio City, California (southern California) He loves doing stuff like that for me because there was more style and craftmanship in men's clothing back then.
4) take in pictures of exactly what you want to the tailor. you can find them online or on here for that matter I'll bet. I have a great picture but I haven't figured out how to post it yet. I don't have a host site for that.

Anyway,
good luck!

Micawber

A-List Customer
Tweed breeks are standard wear on many sporting shoots over here, I have quite a few pairs. There are plenty of s/h examples floating around - check ebay.uk

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Possible source

Try sportsmansguide.com in the surplus section. They had some German surplus breeks in wool and moleskin for 15 USD. They have a cargo pocket on the side, but they would be good for hiking and such.

I just checked the website. The wool breeks are 15 USD and they only have size small. The wool ones are 25 USD and come in S,L,XL and 2XL. Do a serch in the site for knickers.

Hope this helps.

Alon

One of the Regulars
Oh, thanks for the suggestion, TraderRic!

Just to clarify, do breeks have any overlap at the knee, or is that only in the case of plus-twos and plus-fours? I would like to have overlap, I find that that gives more of a casual pants look rather than a sportsman look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR