Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcases

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Trickeration,

What have you done with your briefcase so far ?

As a shoeshine boy I have cleaned more than shoes in my little s/e missouri town. I have done many of prized saddles over the years.

Have you saddle soaped it yet to clean the outside ? Instead of dying those marks, try getting a Kiwi shoe polish close but lighter to that color and gently rub it into the leather. If you had my brush, then we could work on gently buffing too. This method will surely clean it and gently restore it back to a satin luster.

I am not familar with the balm the other gentlemen mention, but balms are good, too, for overall protection. I use to use mink oil on alot of them.

I hope I haven't told you something you already know.

mark the shoeshine boy

Trickeration said:
Here's the one I picked up at a thrift store a few weeks ago for $11. I was about to put it back, then saw the imprint under the flap. It's got some cracking and couple of small stains like something dripped a little on the inside, but I think some of that is cleanable. It's 11 x 18 inches x about 3 inches deep relaxed.
pict17374um.jpg
pict17395cc.jpg

pict17410gr.jpg
pict17386nb.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Consarn it anyhow!

Before I could find time to take pictures of my favorite leather briefcase, a 40's styled russet model with straps from Eddie Bauer I got at an outlet 15 years ago for $20 and had lovingly kept moist and scratch-free, the dogs chewed it today!

case.jpg

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
If you are a baseball fan check out Ralings for a fun & practical briecase. They can be had for substantial discounts if you check around plus Altman luuggage in NYC will actually beat any legit web price.

GraveRobberGreg

Familiar Face
I dont know a lot about these bags but I was able to pick one up for my friend Bufflehead over at COW. I found this beauty on ebay.

pics002.jpg

I would check ebay before ordering a new one cause the prices are much lower then you would think. And this one is a true vintage piece.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Wow, the 1942 satchel for 11 bucks was a real find! I have a bag like GraveRobberGreg's that I picked up at flea market. It is US marked and probably 60s vintage. I use it as my everyday briefcase, but the leather really has cracked and ripped at the seems so I'm shopping for a new one.

matei

One Too Many
Briefcase/attach?©?

Howdy,

Do any of our uber-knowledgeable members know which was more common in the '30s/40s - the hard-sided briefcase or attach?© bag?

I know some members have really cool vintage or custom-made attach?©-type bags, but so far I've not seen much mention of briefcases.

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
I've seen photos in books of politicians carrying traditional accordian-sided brief bags.

Hard-sided attaches tend to look shabby as they get older while brief bags tend to look better as they develop a patina. My bag is 8-years old and I get more compliments on it now than I did when it was new.

I carry an Atlas brief bag. The company has been making them since the 40's.

md_atlas_8618.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My problem with the hard-sided briefcase is that you have to lay it flat in order to open it. A bag like yours can be opened while it is standing on the floor, which I like better. I don't really need one these days, but I'd like to get one anyway. :)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
G. Fink-Nottle said:
I carry an Atlas brief bag. The company has been making them since the 40's.

md_atlas_8618.jpg

I believe that's the exact bag that my father carried for years in the 50's or 60's. Later he went to hard-sided briefcases, but the one you show is classic.

Me - I carry a different classic - the Zero Halliburton Classic Elite. I bought mine in the silver color nearly 20 years ago and it's still going strong. I've never seen a leather briefcase that could last that long. It's a briefcase for life...and although expensive, that makes it a great value. The one thing you have to watch is not banging it into everything, as that mars it.

HalliburtonElite.jpg

rotorup

New in Town
Ghurka Parker Briefcase

Looking for a used one of these. No luck on eBay. Any ideas?

Matt Deckard said:
Starts out stiff though softens over time. Looks great as it gets worn in. It is jsut like the stuff you find vintage. Sergei has an old WWII Document case and the leather is very similar.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Filson bridle leather field satchel yet. More than a little pricey at $795,but a thing of beauty nevertheless.
www.filson.com They also have quite a number of briefcases in twill and leather.

(it's under "personal accessories" on the website)

Zach R.

Practically Family
Would anyone be interested in a custom hide scholar laptop briefcase?

It was custom made to fit a widescreen laptop and its only been used twice, and I'd really like it to go to someone who will use it(that, and I have even more college books to buy that I didn't account for).:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot