Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bring back glamour and class!

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
I don't think sexual harassment is okay and my post was strictly concerning Mizrahi. Just thought I would clarify that.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, thank you for clarifying that but, what he did I consider an attack on one's personal space = sexual harassment.

Straight or not, touching people inappropriately isn't cool with me.

=WR=

PS. this is about the lack of glamour and class in the film industry so, let’s talk about that for a wile.

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
Completely understand, WR. And agree there isa lack of class in the film industry and think that it would be hard to agrue otherwise.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
I try and live my life with out judging any one because when it comes down to it, it’s God’s job to judge...Look how openly people have pre-marital intercourse! It’s almost an expected thing! I’m SICK OF IT! That type of intimacy was ordained by our Father in Heaven to be held sacred with in the bonds of marriage. So many are flushing virtue down the toilet because of selfish self centered beliefs that it’s their life and they can do what they want with no responsibility or thought for the repercussions.

I'm sorry to read that you judge so harshly those who have pre-marital sex. I think what matters is if two people love and respect each other. I know plenty of married people who do not. Anyone can tie the knot, but not anyone can commit to a loving relationship. I think that's what is missing these days- love and respect- for self and others.

decodoll

Practically Family
In my opinion, no one should be touching another person in an inappropriate way. Be it Issac Mizrahi, Joan Rivers or whoever! Keep your hands to yourself! Even if by some chance he had asked her ahead of time, and she didn't mind being groped in public, it's still a completely classless thing to do.

Wild Root

Gone Home
PrettySquareGal said:
I'm sorry to read that you judge so harshly those who have pre-marital sex. I think what matters is if two people love and respect each other. I know plenty of married people who do not. Anyone can tie the knot, but not anyone can commit to a loving relationship. I think that's what is missing these days- love and respect- for self and others.

I think you miss understood what I said. I don't judge people who do have pre-marital sex, I simply don't condone it. I know it happens all the time today and even back in years long ago. People are people and we do human things no matter what. But, I have seen the stats that those who wait till marriage (And you should get married if you can't live with out that person) stay married and the chances for divorce is lessened because the relationship is most often stronger. My folks waited and they're still married today and love each other. What sickens me is how so many people that are younger then me do it with such carelessness and disregard to what they're doing. Think about what it is, it is an act to create life! When a teen gets pregnant and she doesn't want to deal with having a child, you know what happens. It's sad now people can wreck their lives because of lust and lack of control.

Make any sense? Or I'm I just blowing my useless conservative smoke.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
decodoll said:
In my opinion, no one should be touching another person in an inappropriate way. Be it Issac Mizrahi, Joan Rivers or whoever! Keep your hands to yourself! Even if by some chance he had asked her ahead of time, and she didn't mind being groped in public, it's still a completely classless thing to do.

AMEN!

=WR=

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am disappointed in all of you for even watching this event. ;)
To me, this was a tree that fell in the forest and I wasn't there to see or hear it.

And the reason I stay away is that there simply isn't anything there for me. I respect people who accomplish things and tend to admire directors and real actors, rather than celebrities.

Sadly, the days of poise and civil behavior are over. The more chaotic and bizarre a celebrity's life is, the more it will be promoted and celebrated on ET.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I think glamour and class have nothing to do with where most of this thread went.....

Someone can have engaged in any number of the things that have been discussed here as contributing to the 'moral decay' of society, yet still be a glamourous and classy person. Period. Heck, you might not even realise that some of your idols probably did the same darned things, so there is really no point mixing the two.

As is per the new norm here, we have gotten way off into moral discussions and how the Golden Era was so different.....true or not, when we all start to express our morals as opposed to dealing with the concrete things about the Era that we all love, dissention and ad hominem attacks start.

I for one, say...more discussions about suits and hats and dresses, and cars and music and dance and all the good things we admire...and less moral and politcal commentary about the decline of society.

My 2 cents..valued for deflation

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
PS. this is about the lack of glamour and class in the film industry so, let’s talk about that for a wile.
I have to throw in with WR on this one because he's right. Things have gone too far, too fast, in too many of the wrong directions. On prime time network on the WE channel, there was a scene from a movie where a woman was receiving oral sex by the side of the swimming pool, her bare breasts were in full view, and the act was explicit enough with the audio. That would have been uncalled for after 10PM or later, yet this was at 8PM while my kids were still awake.

I don't even want to discuss what goes on The Logo channel that I occasionally flip through via Direct TV while going from TCM to The History Channel.

I get the impression that it’s not just about entertainment, but a game for some of these programming folks who try to score points by how offensive they can get and how many people they can offend.

It doesn’t matter if you’re gay or straight. Offensive behavior is offensive behavior. Just because you’re homosexual, rich or famous, it makes no difference. Imagine someone touching your mother, your sister or your wife the way Isaac Mizrahi groped Scarlett Johansson's breast: then get back to me.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Lets keep this on track.

Please keep to the subject.

This isn't about sexual disorientation. I don't want to see anyone touching intimate areas of the body on television.....not by someone of the opposite sex, the same sex....or even touching themselves. It is tacky, seedy and in bad taste.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Yes... bring back glamour and class.

I think Hollywood is heading in the right direction with a bit of a renaisance of sorts... many may disagree, though the men at the Golden Globes were primarily wearing black suits or tuxedoes with black ties be they bow or straight.

From what I saw, the women were covering all the appropriate places though I would have liked to have seen more done with the hair and the makeup. I think the real shine of nostalgia comes in when you see many of the music awards shows where P. Diddy (now just Diddy) and some of the MTV crowd pull out the walking sticks and hats... they may be pimpish, though they are mellowing out over time and I think in the long run will continue to purvey style on the rest of the public.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Miss Neecerie said:
Someone can have engaged in any number of the things that have been discussed here as contributing to the 'moral decay' of society, yet still be a glamourous and classy person. Period.

I'd say they could still be glamorous still but classy? I'd have to disagree. In my dictionary, classy means sophistication and possessing good qualities. Being obnoxious and crass wouldn't spell out classy in my mind. I have met some classy people and they are the type who speak softly, confident, humble, well dressed, some one who would pick up the check on occasion and tip well. Also give a homeless person an offering. That's the definition of a classy person. Not just having lots of money and wearing expensive clothes and being in the public eye all the time.

Forgive me for being old fashioned but, that's who I am. And that's one reason why I love the golden era.

=WR=

Never said stuff like this didn't happen 60 years ago, it just wasn't talked about and the media kept things tightly under raps!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
I'd say they could still be glamorous still but classy? I'd have to disagree. In my dictionary, classy means sophistication and possessing good qualities. Being obnoxious and crass wouldn't spell out classy in my mind. I have met some classy people and they are the type who speak softly, confident, humble, well dressed, some one who would pick up the check on occasion and tip well. Also give a homeless person an offering. That's the definition of a classy person. Not just having lots of money and wearing expensive clothes and being in the public eye all the time.

Forgive me for being old fashioned but, that's who I am. And that's one reason why I love the golden era.

=WR=

Never said stuff like this didn't happen 60 years ago, it just wasn't talked about and the media kept things tightly under raps!

Ahhh but you misunderstand what I was opinioning -on- here. Notice, I never commented on the actual groping or adjusting or whatever it was that happened, as I dont actually know or care.

What I was commenting on, was the instant turning of the topic into a 'our set of morals is obviously different/better (I read shades of both those posted in this thread) and these people's lack of a shared moral with myself is what is leading to society being less glamourous and classy'

I was merely stating, that morals and shared values have no -inherent- connection to class or glamour. There are plenty of examples of people that have had premarital sex that would be considered glamourous and classy.
There are also a fair few homosexual actors that you would also consider that...Rock Hudson anyone? I certainly hope that you would not count him as lacking class and glamour solely based on the fact that he had differing morals and preferences to you.

Indeed, the media kept things tightly under wraps, but if you are choosing to identify and villify one person's morals based on the fact you happened to hear about them on the news, yet ignore someone else's similar morals because 'they didnt talk about that back then', then you are seriously fooling yourself about people and morality in general and putting a severely rose colored set of glasses on to view the Golden Era.

Of course it would be better to a conservative moralist, if one pretend away the fact that people were gay, having sex just as much as now, and did distasteful things all the time, but hey, you didn't hear about it in the news, so ignorance is bliss.

In short, I was merely stating, that judging people based solely on what one hears of them in the media and individual bias, has very little basis in the reality of who that person actually is.
I was also stating that lately, almost every non fashion or clothing discussion turns into a morality or 'my beliefs are' discussion, which maybe I am the only one, I didn't come here for.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Indeed, the media kept things tightly under wraps....

YES! I wish they still would! I don't think that an awards ceremony is the place to grope and otherwise demean a lady. If they want to do that when the camera is off, good for them, I do not care.

I was also stating that lately, almost every non fashion or clothing discussion turns into a morality or 'my beliefs are' discussion, which maybe I am the only one, I didn't come here for.

There are discussions I can't relate to. For example, I don't like to talk about clothes and I don't wear a Fedora, so I pretty much don't participate in those threads (eh, no pun intended). But there are some people here who share my passion for the past so I have found some discussions where I can relate and contribute.

I can understand that not everyone likes to discuss matters other than appearance, but I also don't see the harm in skipping over a conversation that does not interest me. To me, living retro means that I embrace the values of another time, and it is very much a part of who I am. It offends me when the media glorifies lecherous behavior as something novel or sophisticated, and that is why I started this topic. So yes, it does deal with my beliefs. If that does not fit with this forum then I will stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari