Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bring back glamour and class!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
And by the way...

Yes, I know this is the Fedora Lounge. I almost didn't join when I first came across the forum but when I saw many intelligent discussions about things beyond hats, I joined.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Miss Neecerie said:
Ahhh but you misunderstand what I was opinioning -on- here. Notice, I never commented on the actual groping or adjusting or whatever it was that happened, as I dont actually know or care.

What I was commenting on, was the instant turning of the topic into a 'our set of morals is obviously different/better (I read shades of both those posted in this thread) and these people's lack of a shared moral with myself is what is leading to society being less glamourous and classy'

I was merely stating, that morals and shared values have no -inherent- connection to class or glamour. There are plenty of examples of people that have had premarital sex that would be considered glamourous and classy.
There are also a fair few homosexual actors that you would also consider that...Rock Hudson anyone? I certainly hope that you would not count him as lacking class and glamour solely based on the fact that he had differing morals and preferences to you.

Indeed, the media kept things tightly under wraps, but if you are choosing to identify and villify one person's morals based on the fact you happened to hear about them on the news, yet ignore someone else's similar morals because 'they didnt talk about that back then', then you are seriously fooling yourself about people and morality in general and putting a severely rose colored set of glasses on to view the Golden Era.

Of course it would be better to a conservative moralist, if one pretend away the fact that people were gay, having sex just as much as now, and did distasteful things all the time, but hey, you didn't hear about it in the news, so ignorance is bliss.

In short, I was merely stating, that judging people based solely on what one hears of them in the media and individual bias, has very little basis in the reality of who that person actually is.
I was also stating that lately, almost every non fashion or clothing discussion turns into a morality or 'my beliefs are' discussion, which maybe I am the only one, I didn't come here for.

Yes, I mentioned pre-marital sex in a post prior to this one you just quoted but, I didn’t make any mention of it in my last post regarding classy characteristics now did I?

I mentioned a person (gay males included) who possesses class are polite, sophisticated, generous and kind and other things to that effect. Some one who isn’t obnoxious and crass I also mentioned. Now, I do believe that pre-marital sexual activity is wrong but, I don’t believe that is an obnoxious or crass thing. I just believe it’s morally wrong as a Christian. But, a person (male or female) who is classy (gay or straight) wouldn’t grab a women’s mammories for the shock value or to be funny or cute on TV. That is what I was referring to.

Now, what I have seen as a decline in classy or glamour in Hollywood are those damn ugly “Ug� Boots! I know they’re supposed to be like super comfortable but, come one, they’re UGLY! They are like the biggest thing in Hollywood still today! They all look ridicules wearing them things with a nice outfit. Also, hair styles are just getting weaker and weaker. Some just have hair that is way too short (on the ladies) and some of the males have hair that a woman would kill for. Things are just backwards!

I just stay away from Hollywood and I couldn’t care less about what’s going on there. I only go into Hollywood for some vintage shops and maybe a meal at a good restaurant and that’s it.

=WR=

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
and this is the point where I pretty much say, Adieu

Came here to learn about the golden era, not constantly critique and compare the era we all live in, like it or not.

Also didn't come here to get my dose of morality or religion for the day, I have other places I do that in.

Since a vast majority of recent things have drifted into these two realms, I can seriously do without discussions on them, (and yes, I realise I can skip them, but am i then really a participant here or just a lurker) so thats me done.

I beg forgiveness of anyone I have offended by trying to make people stop -judging- others so damn much.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well friend, I didn't want to keep replying but, you kept quoting me. What could I do but to make my self clear? If you didn't read all of what I posted, I'd be surprised if you didn't agree with what I was really saying. I wasn't trying to preach to any one! Just stating what my standing is on it. BeBop drug me into this more then I wanted to and so, there you have it. I feel what I have said in the last two posts were very reasonable.

If you want to talk about old junk, you'll see we are talking a lot about really cool things in other rooms.

I hate when this happens, it just goes to show that politics and religion are the two poisons of conversations.

It's not my fault that no one really reads what I say.

=WR=

PS. I also tried to keep on subject by adding something about a part of popular apparel that is worn wide scale in Hollywood today.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Each person has their own opinions about things and I hope the fact that some may not like other member's opinions won't cause them to leave, but truthfully it is a person's opinion and we should respect it, regardless of if we agree or disagree with it.

And to PrettySquareGal, thank you for pointing this thread out to us. Mizarhi sells his designs at Target and because of his lude behavior towards those celebrities, I plan on personally boycotting his line of clothing:
http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/602-1202347-0557431?node=3666961

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
MK said:
Please keep to the subject.

This isn't about sexual disorientation. I don't want to see anyone touching intimate areas of the body on television.....not by someone of the opposite sex, the same sex....or even touching themselves. It is tacky, seedy and in bad taste.

/ Keep it on track or this thread will be edited and shut down!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hollywood in my eyes is....

Just like this.
Daffy%20Screwball.jpg

=WR=:p

shamus

Suspended
Is Hollywood the only place that has glamour and class?

Why is E! considered "media".

Sure there is still glamour and class in Hollywood if that's the only place we're going to talk about. Sure there's a lot of non-glamour and class too. Always has been. Always will be.

In the 30's glamour movies were the hot ticket. After the war, films got darker with less glamour. In the 60's a new generation was experimenting with different looks. That they at the time considered glamorous.

In the 70's it's was social issues and the dress had a more social look about it.

the point I'm getting at is all these different decades were glamorous to that decades film audience.

So today it's not what most of us here would call glamorous, but ask some 16 year old girl... Does so and so look glamorous? And she'll say yes.

Would you consider Rita Hayworth, Marilyn Monroe, or Jean Harlow "glamorous?" Probability, but back in their days.. "Older folks" thought they were floosies (sp) with out class and glamour. But ask "younger folks" at that time and they'd say Yeah she's glamorous.

As in Beauty, Glamour is in the eye of the beholder.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
ITG said:
Each person has their own opinions about things and I hope the fact that some may not like other member's opinions won't cause them to leave, but truthfully it is a person's opinion and we should respect it, regardless of if we agree or disagree with it.

And to PrettySquareGal, thank you for pointing this thread out to us. Mizarhi sells his designs at Target and because of his lude behavior towards those celebrities, I plan on personally boycotting his line of clothing:
http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/602-1202347-0557431?node=3666961

EXCELLENT! I will, too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari