Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buckaroo Indy

Bold1972

New in Town
I ordered a custom hat from Buckaroo Hatters in TN recently. I asked for a 6" open crown in colors that matched the hat from ROTLA in 100x Dress Fedora beaver felt.

I got the hat in less than a month - pretty quick turn around time especially in winter months:

There is a slight bulge near the brim break in the front an rear but it isn't noticeable when you wear the hat.

I do like the fact that the entire ribbon and bow is all one continuous piece of ribbon:

I was hoping the liner would have some cool artwork - but the plain white does look and feel very nice:

This sweatband may look cheap but I swear it is made from the softest most comfortable leather I have ever worn:

Of course - the "X" system is virtually meaningless these days but it is cool to see it on the sweat:

Bold1972

New in Town
Bashed:

I have owned many Indy hats over the years starting with the old wool Stetsons from the 80's, then a Nostalgia in the late 90's, an Arkuba Heritage Deluxe, a Gladhatter Sterling Belly Beaver *according to the infamously long on wind - short on facts Charlie (waaaay overpriced but I still have it and have reblocked it several times myself), a factory made Herbert Johnson Poet, a JP Designs beaver and several Adventurebilt's from Steve Delk(my favorite is from '06 from the same run of felt as what he made for Harrison Ford according to the handwritten note from Steve in the sweat).

The overall quality of the Bukaroo felt is nice but it could have used another 2 to 3 rounds of pouncing to make it as buttery smooth as say my Adventurebilt or even my old Gladhatter. As a result, it feels cheap. Still it is a nice hat and the wait was short. Color wise it is a bit off from what I expected but that is a tough thing to match up - what you see on the screen to what you can make with today's materials.

The price was reasonable for a 100% beaver. If my Adventurebilt is a 10 in Indy's (Steve's 7 1/2 runs large so I always have to put in tissue so the hat will fit correctly - don't know why I just don't order a 7 3/8 from him LOL) I would give this one a solid 7+ (the + is because of the fact it fits so damned well and the great sweat!).

What do you guys and gals think?

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Hello Bold1972, welcome to the Lounge! Your Buckaroo hat looks very good on you, and your job of shaping crown and brim is excellent! I don't have a Buckaroo hat yet, but everything I read here about them is all positive and yours is certainly no exception. It looks great. Wear it proudly. Again welcome to the Lounge. There is a great camaraderie here, all good guys and very knowledgeable about the object of this addiction; Hats!! You'll enjoy it here!

My first custom fedora is a Buckaroo. X's have meaning if you know what the hatter means by them & Mike means 100X = 100% Beaver... Not knowing what Stetson means by an X is not the same as being meaningless....

Bold1972

New in Town
My first custom fedora is a Buckaroo. X's have meaning if you know what the hatter means by them & Mike means 100X = 100% Beaver... Not knowing what Stetson means by an X is not the same as being meaningless....

Point taken - but you have to admit the term is a bit misused by some hat makers...

*and I did say virtually*

Point taken - but you have to admit the term is a bit misused by some hat makers...

*and I did say virtually*

Oh no doubt. Using the term "X system" is a stretch since that hints something uniform like the Dewey Decimal System.
X's mean what each individual hat maker wants them to mean & we wish we knew what that was for all of them...

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Does look fantastic! Have you already or would you consider posting some pics in the buckaroo hatters thread?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou