Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buffalo Pros and Cons

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How does Buffalo hide compare to other hides (e.g., horse, cow, etc). I am particularly interested in rigidity/stiffness/pliability?

Separately, from a historical perspective, how and when was Buffalo hide used over the years?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Like any hide its qualities will depend on how it was treated. I've had two buffalo hide jackets in 3oz leather, they were like firm cowhide.

armscye

One of the Regulars
Are we talking Bison or Water Buffalo here? I know nothing of Bison, but my experience with water buffalo is as follows:

1. Very common in Pakistani and Indian scooter jackets, where it provides a combination of low cost and toughness. There are dozens of $150 buffalo jackets on eBay. One brand I know of is Xelement

2. Very often dyed black to cover color variations. Brown jackets seem antiqued, since the color is mottled.

3. The leather is finely wrinkle-grained (not pebbles like goat), and a bit rubbery feeling.

4. It is alleged to be as tough as equivalent weight horsehide, and just behind kangaroo in abrasion resistance. I have found that stitching on a button is well nigh impossible-- the needle won't penetrate through the rubbery, "sticky" interior of the leather.

5. Whether because of the construction or the hide, my water buffalo jackets don't break in much. They seem permanently somewhat stiff. Lexol doesn't seem to help-- yes, it is somewhat absorbed, but it doesn't produce the softening effect normally seen with cowhide. In that regard, water buffalo seems similar to goat.

6. Water buffalo washes in cold water without shrinkage, though it seems to get more matte.

7. Water buffalo is seen in Europe as a preferred hide for motorcycle wear.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
The Bison I've seen used for jacketings have been very soft/pliant albeit quite thick (4 oz.) Very bendy leather and abrasion resistant. It wears hotter (to me) than any other hide I've tried; I imagine it would be apropos for Fall/Winter and not so much for Spring/Summer. I believe you can also shave down the Bison to 2.5-3 oz, but I think you might as well go with cowhide at that point.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have a buffalo A-2 from the 80s, and it's still in fantastic condition and has an amazing patina/grain.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have both Bison and Buffalo ...... the Bison is Horween in black is thick yes less stiff than FQHH and has a really pronounced grain which I like a lot and which is wearing in very nicely ... it's stunning leather.

The Buffalo is my Aero Californian and it's an amazing hide which has softened up really nicely and developed an amazing grain ( it's 12 years old
and has travelled over 1 million air miles with me)

I'd happily buy either again ...... thick, durable and with real character from the get go.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
It was a bit stiff ... but not as unweildy as FQHH or Horween CXL Steer ..... the Bison was slightly stiffer ..... is softened up to folding in a heap when laid down after about 2 months of regular wear ..... now it's floppy as a woolen coat but still mighty thick.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As I said, I think the key is how it is treated in the tanning process. I've seen very stiff unyielding buffalo along with much softer buffalo. It generally has nice looking grain. I'd get a sample of it to look at before deciding as I think it will be helpful to see the specific hide before making a commitment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass