Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buried with your hat on ?

Lokar

A-List Customer
I've thought about being buried with my favourite things (which would mean double breasted frock coat & topper). Not sure how I'd handle things eventually, though. Depends if children would be interested in my hats - if I had a child or grandchild who wanted my hats and was my size, I'd handle it differently to if I die alone and unloved.

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
I haven't decided on the first question yet. But if it's burial, then no, let whatever nice things I might have go to my children (I hope I won't die completely alone and unloved) or to someone else who might like to have them.

~Rich

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Buried with your hat on?..... Hell yes. If not on, then in the box with me. Maybe bronzed on the gravestone. But letting someone else wear your hat? My goodness. What has this world come to.[huh]

Johnny

Ugarte

A-List Customer
If I'm not mistaken, etiquette dictates that the hat is set to rest on the decedent's chest above his/her folded hands. Of course, not being an authority on any funerary customs, I could be wrong.

Mark

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lokar said:
I've thought about being buried with my favourite things (which would mean double breasted frock coat & topper). Not sure how I'd handle things eventually, though. Depends if children would be interested in my hats - if I had a child or grandchild who wanted my hats and was my size, I'd handle it differently to if I die alone and unloved.

If you die alone and unloved, someone will likely take your hat.

This thread is kind of creepy - hopefully it won't inspire any grave-robbing of old cemeteries.

My son wears the same size hat as I. So, I'm leaving them all to him to wear or sell which I'm betting he'll sell. Hopefully, this is years & years from now & he has grown to appreciate the finer things like a nice snap brim in addition to it's sun blocking attributes. I'm going to let them take any working parts to help others & cremate the rest. Spread my ashes in some favorite places & bury the can in the family plot. If they lay me out in a coat & tie, I'll haunt them for eternity! :eek:

anon`

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Not likely. After all, decomposition is hell on felt and fabrics. (See the "Thriller" video.) Exception: the mummies of Guanajuato. (Google them if necessary.)[/COLOR]
Or Tollund Man? Though strictly speaking, mummies are more dessicated than decomposed.

As an aside, I suppose I could go for a ship burial with a hat, amongst other goods. Perhaps a ritually killed one (with the crown punched out?) to discourage pilfering. Or maybe not.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I think since hats may appeal to a lot fewer people than suits do, passing along a hat (especially a rare, old hat) would mean more to me and, I hope, the recipient than clothing. Or they may just sell them all on the bay as "Gangsta, Indy, Godfather, for costume, with a feather"...:p
I'm more likely to hand them all down than wear one to the hereafter. I hope it won't be too sunny.

... Just wanna die with my boots on, and not someone else's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21