Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button Covers: Cufflink Alternative

GBREAL

New in Town
Now that I have a a decent collection of pocket squares, I have now focused on a new addition to my wardrobe: cufflinks. I only have one shirt with french cuffs and one pair of cufflinks.

I discovered button covers while searching for cufflinks as an alternative for shirts without french cuffs. I was curious if anyone here on the lounge wears them (for shirt cuffs not on chest buttons).

Edward

Bartender
Never heard of them.... any further information / photos? The only thing I've seen in that vein before were covers for the top (neck) button of a shirt, worn in place of a neck tie. They seemed to be particularly popular among black gentlemen at one point in the nineties, usually for evening wear, similar to the four-in-hand with black tie trend we've seen all over the red carpet in more recent years.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
similar to the four-in-hand with black tie trend we've seen all over the red carpet in more recent years.
Like dusty footprints, IMNSHO. :eek:hwell: All part of the trend to put the "meh" back in men's wear.

The thing about covers is they're a "tell." Put them over your cuff buttons and you're still looking at a barrel fastened, over/under cuff.

I would buy a set in 2 sizes of the same design, to "blazerize" a blue suit jacket now and then.

Chaps

One of the Regulars
I had never heard of them until this thread. I looked at some on the web and they looked pretty nice, but they still cost as much or more than actual cufflinks. I might try a pair for a reasonable price, but I think actual cufflinks are the way to go. I have several pairs of cufflinks, most of which I bought at antique shops for less than $15. Most of mine are Swank from the 40s-60s.

--30000--7252_product_480831717_thumb_large.jpg
As a lover of accessories, I have got to get some. :D (I can't seem to attach pictures sorry).
g5.jpg

g4.jpg

g3.jpg

g2.jpg

g1.jpg

regards
VM

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
g1.jpg

regards
VM

Red and silver one with the dragon - Order of Dracul?

Interesting concept. I don't think I'd have a use for them personally as I tend to buy double cuffs for wearing with a suit / jacket, opting for button cuffs only for the sort of less formal attire where a cufflink or the appearance of one isn't necessarily desirable. That said, I certainly don't see these as a bad thing. If anything, it's not too hard to imagine them as a future evolution of the cufflink. They'd blend in perfectly with the Rick Deckard style of retro-futurism, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy