Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buttons on a leather jacket

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I got a Lost Worlds A1 on ebay that I really like, but I'm sort of paranoid about the buttons. Part of me says that high-end jackets use buttons a lot so they must be serviceable. Still I have buttons coming off shirts all the time and every time I button the jacket, I feel I'm that much closer to a repair job which I could live without. So do they fall off and how does one go about fixing it (plus there are five buttons to fall off). Experiences??

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Many shirt-makers use cheap yarn or buttons and attach the latter inappropriately, leading to the results you had. This should normally not happen. What will happen, however, you'll see...;)

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
Buttoning my Maxwell for over a year (wearing it almost daily), and they seem as "strong" as the day it arrived.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have three Aero buttoned jackets (Teamster, Mulligan and Maxwell) with no issues. Aero does place their button backers between leather facing whereas I think LW places theirs on either side, which would make repair(s) easier with LW than Aero (have to separate the lining at junction of body and arm to effect repair).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have an Aero Barnstormer which obviously has buttons and no probs whatsoever. Mind you they are so well stitched on you'd need plastic explosive for them to come loose.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Er...haven't we been here before (October)?
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Overprotection-Syndrome&highlight=vespizzare

Same comment:

Vespizzare, I'm not sure quite why you're getting concerned. I use my ELC 0.50 cal A-1 all the time (just returned to the house after a soaking from an unexpected shower) - I don't baby the jacket at all. If I were to lose a button, I'd contact ELC for a replacement (and pay pennies) and hand sew it back on; I'd imagine that Lost Worlds might offer the same. The buttons probably have smaller backing buttons on the LW jacket? These should stop the buttons stressing the leather/thread unduly.
With my BK A-1, the buttons have already been off and replaced with a set of darker buttons (simple job - stout needle, stout thread and use existing holes).
Even my LVC Menlo Cossack, which has a set of buttons that appear unique to this model, has a spare in the pocket.
Don't stress, enjoy the jacket...

On reflection though, do yourself a favour...get a jacket with a zip... ;)

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Er...haven't we been here before (October)?
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Overprotection-Syndrome&highlight=vespizzare

Same comment:

Vespizzare, I'm not sure quite why you're getting concerned. I use my ELC 0.50 cal A-1 all the time (just returned to the house after a soaking from an unexpected shower) - I don't baby the jacket at all. If I were to lose a button, I'd contact ELC for a replacement (and pay pennies) and hand sew it back on; I'd imagine that Lost Worlds might offer the same. The buttons probably have smaller backing buttons on the LW jacket? These should stop the buttons stressing the leather/thread unduly.
With my BK A-1, the buttons have already been off and replaced with a set of darker buttons (simple job - stout needle, stout thread and use existing holes).
Even my LVC Menlo Cossack, which has a set of buttons that appear unique to this model, has a spare in the pocket.
Don't stress, enjoy the jacket...

On reflection though, do yourself a favour...get a jacket with a zip... ;)

So solly for the second query. Repeating oneself is the sign of a small mind (and I know I've said that a thousand times).

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Don't apologise, I wish that you could just relax and enjoy the jacket rather than fixating on the buttons.
Honestly, I've yet to have one come off in daily use.
Enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy