Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying A2....

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Whoa, I was literally opening this thread to recommend US Authentic's goatskin model, so I'm happy to hear it.

For the price, I think it's clearly the best choice. Much better than Cooper, US Wings, Avirex/Cockpit, etc. I have one of their horsehide A-2s (which admittedly is $100 more, but is constructed the same way) and frankly, I think it's a tougher, "more authentic" jacket than my Gibson & Barnes jackets: it just has more character. It's a trimmer-cut jacket (though longish in body and sleeves) and the wool knits and cotton lining are far nicer than the synthetics you'll find in the under-$300 range. Also, unlike the factory produced G&B jackets, it feels handmade. (And it is: I've been to US A - it's pretty much three sewing machines in an old carriage house.)

And no, I'm NOT claiming US A is up in the range of the premium repros... but for the price, their A-2s are very nice.

Anyway, please let us know how it fits, and how you like it, when it arrives...

genie

New in Town
It was my choice, too - the only reason I opted out was there shipping tag - but I found easier way to send the jacket down under. And from their description they are very thorough with what they are doing. Oh, well - now the hardest part - waiting :)

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Thats the reason I recommended McCoys by the time your done with shipping costs you might be with'n a couple hundred bucks and you can get one of the best and you can go visit them to boot.

genie

New in Town
McCoys have their price tag at $1300+ NZD level - way too much for me. Even without excessive shipping it is still high - and I am not into collecting A-2s... Yet...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
genie said:
Ok, guys, my search for the jacket is over, I guess :) Just ordered and payed for US Authentic goat jacket - thanks a lot, guys, for all your advices!

I have their horsehide in russet brown and I'm quite happy with it. I'd like to get a goat also,...good choice, they make a nice product. (We will of course expect a full report when it arrives.) :)

Close Shave

New in Town
ELC Air Comfort

Hi

Anyone seeking a "bomber jacket" without being desperate for pinpoint accurate reproduction could do a lot worse than ELC's "Air Comfort" - a sort of hybrid A2 style, with a fur collar (quite like the CBI theatre modified A2's) but with more useful lining, pockets etc.

I think Aero have a jacket called the "Happy Days" which is similar in concept - but probably a wee bit better quality than ELC.

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Genie, don't end up like me, this lot was accumulated since February of this year except the one on top which I got back in the mid 80's.

You can just about see my Aero furry collar number on the left hand side!

Cheers !

Roy ;)

jackets.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
DiabolicalAngel said:
Genie, don't end up like me, this lot was accumulated since February of this year except the one on top which I got back in the mid 80's.

Cheers !

Roy ;)

Man. I've got it bad. That can easily see a collection at least that size in a couple of years. Probably have to stick to the secondary market though!

GREAT picture DiabolicalAngel. Thanks for posting it.

jake431

Practically Family
DiabolicalAngel said:

Cheers !

Roy ;)

jackets.jpg

Can we see/have a quick review of the fur collared A-2?

-Jake

genie

New in Town
Thanks, BellyTank - I have placed my order for US Authentic. But I think I got this virus now - I am hunting for more jackets :)))))))))

greyhound68

A-List Customer
genie said:
Gee! Is it what you end up being when you are into A-2? Man, I am scared now!
Yup it is I thought I had too many A2s until I saw the collection posted on here. I have four originals and six repros including three fine examples from your neck of the woods RMNZ (Monarch, Dubow, and Roughwear). I don't feel so bad now. Now to hunt for more jackets....

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Buying A2

Good Evening Gentlemen. Let me first introduce myself, the name's Harp.

Gene: By coincidence I stumbled across your thread, and note that you're
from New Zealand. I had conversed with Paddy from RMNZ last week about
some "Band of Brothers" surplus stock, which unfortunately eluded my size.
However, RM might have your size available in their discount wear. I suggest that you might email Paddy at RM just to cover your own turf first bud.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Its a her and I posted her email and a link to McCoys a while back on this thread. They're in a different league than most repro makers. It will always be the repro you wish you had while spending a ton of dough on lesser repros. I know.

genie

New in Town
Got my US Authentic A-2.... Sigh. Now I am fully satisfied! Amazing jacket, pleasure to wear!:D

Many thanks to Jim from www.garciaaviation.com - he was amazingly helpful and tolerated my constant whining like a stoic - I am eternally grateful for his help!

genie

New in Town
Will do that as soon as I get home - for now I keep my office mates amused by walking around wearing the jacket :)))))))))))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot