Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying an ipod

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I'm going to buy my wife an ipod and was wondering what extras I'll need to buy. Just a charger? Also, any good deals out there now for the 30GB model?

Thanks,

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

It comes with a home (AC) charger. If you want a car charger, you'll need to get that, and while you're at it, a FM modulator, which will broadcast the signal to a station that you can pick up on the car's radio (unless it's a new car that has built-in ipod support). I'd just get a 3rd party case for it too. Shouldn't cost you more than $15-20 for the case. Don't buy apple's $100 leather case, its a ripoff.

You're wanting the new 30gb ipod with video, right?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
When 20 Gb is not enough...?

B
T

They dont make a 20gig anymore...so unless you are talking much smaller...30 is the smallest of the regular ipods.

I have an older 20gig model, no video...and it keeps me sane working in cubicle land, next to the man who whistles -all- day, every day.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The most important thing I would get is a good case for when you're carrying it around. I have a Nano and my favorite is the Belkin Folio case in leather. It opens like a book (hinged on the "long side"). They also have models that flip open from the top or bottom. It's all a matter of taste, personal preference and how it'll be used. But I wouldn't leave the store without a case. They get scratched very easily, and just like buying a new car, you're pretty wrecked when you get your first scratch or ding on your "new baby." I've heard a couple ways of removing the scratches & "hazing" but I've been lucky so far. But they're small and lightweight and easy to accidentally drop, and being scratch-prone (it's the lightweight plastic they use), a simple drop does a lot more damage visually than you think. The device itself is pretty darn tough.

I use the Folio for carrying it around in my shirt pocket listening to music or for checking my shopping list. In the car, I added the connector cable to my car stereo and I have a rubberized case I use there. Long after I had the Folio, Kenwood came out with the connector for my car stereo. It plugs into the port on the bottom of the Nano and lets you use the Nano or any iPod pretty much like a CD changer. But the Folio covers the docking port on the Nano, hence having a different cover in the car.

You won't need a charger - trust me. <grin> They recharge anytime you plug them into a computer - all you need is a free USB port on your computer, which you need anyway to copy over songs. They all come with the charge/synch cable. You MIGHT want what they call a "dock" - the cable plugs into the back, it has a socket to plug headphones or earbuds into, but it holds the iPod upright while it's charging or you're playing music from it. Since the iPods themselves, especially the Nano, are pretty lightweight, it's easy for them to slide off the desk - the dock adds a little weight to it.

If you're going to use it with Windows, PM me - I've found a much better utility for synch'ing contacts & calendar & notes from Outlook than Apple's.

And if you didn't know - copying songs to an iPod is a one-way process - you can't copy songs to it and then copy them from the iPod to another computer. A lot are confused by that at first.

Once you get home with it, install the software it comes with and before you do anything else (like connect the iPod to the computer) go to Apple's website and get the latest version of iTunes AND the iPod utility software. The versions on the installation CD's are older and there've been a lot of little bugs solved in more current versions.

AND...if you order from Apple's website, they'll engrave whatever you want on the back (shiny metal) for free. It's a nice touch. I wish I'd had that done one mine, but 10 minutes after my partner told me the Nano's were out and they'd synch with Outlook or Outlook Express on Windows computers, we were on the way to the local store, and I wanted it right then and there (first one sold in the store) so I could try it out. I'd been looking for something small & easy to update to carry around with phone numbers & addresses when I'm away from the desk and that perfectly fit the bill AND the added bonus of loads of songs.

iPods - definitely not something one would think of being discusssed on Fedora Lounge...but I guess when you load it with Glenn Miller & Benny Goodman & the like, it's a fit!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
BellyTank said:
When 20 Gb is not enough...?

B
T

Apple doesn't make a 20GB model anymore.
-edit: Miss Neecerie beat me to the punch. I have the same 20GB model sans video. Love it, but I only use mine when at home or running.

I have a file server on our gigabit network at work that has 50+gb of mp3s on it that the 3 of us in our department stream music directly from while working, so no need to break it out at work.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Yup, 30GB with video. I was just looking at the details again and saw the cradle charger is included. Looks like it goes from a 4GB model to the 30GB model. For the extra $50 why not?

This is going to be a surprise gift for our 15th anniversary. She's been asking for one and I keep telling her she doesn't need it so this will score big points. :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mike in Seattle said:
......................Once you get home with it, install the software it comes with and before you do anything else (like connect the iPod to the computer) go to Apple's website and get the latest version of iTunes AND the iPod utility software. The versions on the installation CD's are older and there've been a lot of little bugs solved in more current versions................

That was a lot of writing. Reminds me of this: If Microsoft Redesigned the iPod Package

If one has a Mac, of course, all you have to do is open the box and plug it into your computer.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
That was a lot of writing. Reminds me of this: If Microsoft Redesigned the iPod Package

If one has a Mac, of course, all you have to do is open the box and plug it into your computer.

I saw that video and laughed my head off....much like the 'windows vista' video...

I have a mac at home...and yes...its just easy peasy ...

I just bought a seperate shuffle for working out...since I keep dropping my hard drive based ipod onto the running treadmill....

Salv

One Too Many
Aaron Hats said:
Yup, 30GB with video. I was just looking at the details again and saw the cradle charger is included. Looks like it goes from a 4GB model to the 30GB model. For the extra $50 why not?

This is going to be a surprise gift for our 15th anniversary. She's been asking for one and I keep telling her she doesn't need it so this will score big points. :D

A charger isn't included - what you get is a USB 2.0 cable and an adaptor for the Universal Dock, not the Dock itself. Out of the box you can only charge a new iPod from your computer using the USB 2.0 cable. If you want to charge a new iPod and you don't have access to a computer you'll need an iPod USB Power Adaptor

lm_altview_m9837lla.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quigley Brown said:
iPod has more accessories than a Barbie doll...geesh.

It's funny because for almost a solid YEAR after I bought my Nano, the only case for it were a Belkin Folio in Barbie Pink at the Apple Store. I had the Nano Tubes on order with Apple.com for five months before I finally canceled the order and went with another vendor's product I found at the local pharmacy, of all places.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Thanks for the tips everyone. I ordered it today along with one of the new car kits. I ordered directly from Apple with the free engraving so I should have it in the next two weeks in plenty of time for our anniversary.

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
Congrats! It is a wonderful device and it really reflects the great quality of Apple products and their creativity. Remember that April 1st will be 30 years for Apple, so expect some BIG things around that time from Steve Jobs and the genius group from Cupertino!

http://www.apple.com

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I have a Creative Zen Touch... which is basically a cheaper iPod that's a bit more Windows friendly. I love it, it's 20GB, and I use it as a portable hard drive as well. I just need to find some good low profile headphones so I don't look quite so strange wearing them and my fedora.

Jessica

One of the Regulars
I absolutely adore my Ipod, and I'm sure it will bring the same happiness to your door!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran