Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Bad Actors in Classifieds

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hope it's alright to post something of a PSA type of message.

On Reddit they are encouraging people to join TFL to get 'deals' in our classifieds. I have no problem with people becoming part of our community or indeed buying things, but I think we should be a bit cautious. There are definitely people who've joined here to take advantage of our 'forum friend' rates and resell on the flipper market.

Yes, that's their legal right, but also rather against the spirit of what we're going for here. I've actually already spotted a few accounts, due to their cross posts and other content, that are definitely here from Reddit and I'm skeptical of. I don't want to call anyone out in particular. Indeed, if they see this I hope it is a reminder that TFL is a community and we try to be fair minded.

Hey watch my YouTube video
Hey how much is this worth

New WTB thread kicked off by new-to-TFL Bubba 1. New-to-TFL Bubba 2 shows up and says I have that jacket and asks stupid high TFL price. Bubba 1 says “awesome” and ask some BS questions to establish some cred without committing. Crickets from Bubba 2. Both brand new Bubbas disappear, never to be seen again.

Or the guys with multiple accounts trying to push the greatness of some jacket, usually a POS. Those guys are gems.

Peacoat

Bartender
I would never buy from , nor sell to, a member without an established presence here. I know many of you feel the same way. If you see something suspicious, report it. If it is a spammer (advertiser), I'll show him the door immediately. Otherwise, I may want to sit on it for awhile and see what he does. Edward operates the same way.

A Report sends a red flag for the moderation team to see. Bfd and one or two others send Edward and me an alert that we see immediately upon return to TFL. I check in multiple times a day, so, the Alert is acted on immediately.

However you do it, just do it so we are aware of the problem.

Aloysius

If they’re buyers and their money folds they are welcome to my stuff.

Sure, I feel the same way with a lot of things.

I'm mostly mentioning this because sometimes we do price jackets below market price with the intention that we kind of pass it amongst ourselves if the sizing doesn't work. We're not obligated to do that, either, but it's one of the things I really like at TFL and it would suck if that practice ended.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
New WTB thread kicked off by new-to-TFL Bubba 1. New-to-TFL Bubba 2 shows up and says I have that jacket and asks stupid high TFL price. Bubba 1 says “awesome” and ask some BS questions to establish some cred without committing. Crickets from Bubba 2. Both brand new Bubbas disappear, never to be seen again.

Or the guys with multiple accounts trying to push the greatness of some jacket, usually a POS. Those guys are gems.
Hilarious…funny thing is these types probably figure no one knows, know one PMs others about it, no one keeps a list. Duhh!
The Lounge looks after it’s own, thankfully. That service comes free of charge but not a default at time of admission. It’s earned not given.
B

Aloysius

I will say the YouTube video, though informationally useless, had nice production values. :D

KBlake

One Too Many
Sure, I feel the same way with a lot of things.

I'm mostly mentioning this because sometimes we do price jackets below market price with the intention that we kind of pass it amongst ourselves if the sizing doesn't work. We're not obligated to do that, either, but it's one of the things I really like at TFL and it would suck if that practice ended.
I do this and others also have a TFL price and an off TFL price. If TFL becomes an alternative to Ebay that won't be possible.

hungapotamus

New in Town
Just wanted to chime in here since I'm a new member and have purchased 2 jackets in the short time I've been here (so far, need to slow down).

"Flipping" jackets has never even occurred to me lol. Every hobby I've been deeply immersed in - knives, watches, boots, selvedge denim, now leather jackets - ends up being a block hole for my wallet. I've always lost money on resale, it's only by luck if I happen to get my buy in price back.

There are far easier ways to make money, like investing in crypto currency....oh wait....

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Just wanted to chime in here since I'm a new member and have purchased 2 jackets in the short time I've been here (so far, need to slow down).

"Flipping" jackets has never even occurred to me lol. Every hobby I've been deeply immersed in - knives, watches, boots, selvedge denim, now leather jackets - ends up being a block hole for my wallet. I've always lost money on resale, it's only by luck if I happen to get my buy in price back.

There are far easier ways to make money, like investing in crypto currency....oh wait....

I can vouch for @hungapotamus as a buyer, prompt payment, your jacket will go out tomorrow!
I'd venture to say that most of us barely break even or lose a little on TFL sales. Trying to keep prices fair for TFL members and moving these jackets will do it to ya... It's a hobby.

Aloysius

To be clear, I'm not at all saying that all new members are like that, and I'm happy to see new blood. Your posts have been great!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I certainly get this too! Most exchanges I've done here have been very fair & equitable, as well as profession & polite as well. We certainly "get" each other and even if differences do arise, we usually do work through them well. I am also always glad to see new members, especially those who want to become an active part of the community.

This "new person" situation became a little more true to me a few years back, and ever since then I am a bit more cautious. It was a "giveaway" jacket near Christmas time, and a fairly nice one at that. Since I did not Quantify it as "established members'" a person found it, joined, "bought" it and was never heard from again. Point made & taken, listing person, be aware...just hope they actually enjoyed the jacket.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

Tfl classifieds

IMG_4874.jpeg

Two weeks later on ebay

IMG_4873.jpeg

Another two weeks later on Vinted

IMG_4872.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner