Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can "Storm Cuffs" Work on a Motorbike??

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm probably out of my gourd, but I'm thinking of a previously owned jacket with storm cuffs. I probably won't pull the trigger, but would they work on a motorbike? It would be for the cold, so ventilation wouldn't be much of a concern. I figure that there'll be gauntlets out there that could do the trick.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
From a biker that has worn a Highwayman on a Hayabusa. No they wont work if you mean do they keep drafts out, even on a BSA A65 they wont, unless as you say you have gauntlet cuffs on your gloves.
I have had all sorts of bike clothing and ridden in all sorts of weathers so I do know. Old British and American bike jackets never had storm cuffs so unless you wore gloves with long or gauntlet cuffs, wind goes up your sleeve and tends to billow out like a sail in the back of the jacket. I expect you wear gloves? Well I am not going to lecture you on safety gear but your hands are usually the first thing to touch the ground in a low speed spill thats all.
Personally I would treat it as if they were plain cuffs on a bike. Drafts can be great in the summer, but freezing in the(read English) winter

2010_0509suitegills0004_zps2a3474a0.jpg

John

injunjack

One of the Regulars
With gountlets , yes.

And some old american bike jackets had fur inside of the cuff to keep the wind off....Properly thight cuff with fur keeps wind out of your sleeve pretty nice.

Plumbline

One Too Many
In my experience NO .... for the following reasons :

1. If you try and put gloves under the jacket cuff then they need to be REALLY short gloves
2. If you put the gloves OVER the jacket then it feels like theres too much material round the cuff/wrist

The solution .. a gusseted zip cuff or a plain cuff quite neat fitting.

Just MHO

Peacoat

Bartender
Storm cuffs in, addition to gauntlets, work better than the gauntlets alone. Although the gauntlets block the direct wind, there is still the indirect breeze that creeps into the sleeves. This is minimized by the storm cuffs.

IXL

One Too Many
You can find gloves with nice, big gauntlets at "Fox Creek." Cowhide, elk, deer... All made in the U.S.A.
I have several pairs and they are great gloves, but the elk skin take a while to break in, which suprised me a bit.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Filson sells both lined (merino wool) and unlined goatskin gloves that I saw at their Filson superstore in Seattle last August that looked nice. David Morgan sells kangaroo driving gloves that should be very durable and comfortable to wear.

IXL

One Too Many
^^^^ I've used a pair of the lined Filson goat skin gloves for several years and find them to be good gloves. I use them, during winter, in Cowboy Action Shooting competitions because I can feel the trigger well. I've just never thought about them as something to ride in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24