Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Mary

Practically Family
Inky said:
Okay, after i passed out from the beautiful shoe picture, let me suggest an insole. I went from an 11W to a regular 10, and found that in most of my shoes adding a good insole helped take up some of the space, without changing the shoe at all. Also, if they tend to slip at the heel you can buy those stick on silicone heel pads.

Lovely shoes, and sooo tiny looking.

Haha. Thanks Inky. I'll try that out.

Do do make one drewl don't they?! And they are mine!!! Happy dance smilie, if there was one!

Mary

Practically Family
Miss 1929. Oh, they really are early thirties. I'm so fond of them.I'll look out Tara Tango now when I've started dancing balboa.:)

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
The first is an early 40s costume, the second is a mid-late 30s bridal gown, and the third is from the 50s. :)
Thank you Lauren! I'm not sure what you mean by early 40s costume though [huh] Could you please explain? I really appreciate your input :)

texasgirl

One Too Many
64tonya said:
and a cool old chef hat...
IMG_4894.jpg
IMG_4895.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

You need this apron to go with the hat :)

http://www.vintagemartini.com/clothing/misc./aprons/pages/3566.html

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
That woman's got magic shoes - last time I stood on someone's lawns in heels, I disappeared into the ground! (i was a little inebriated at the time too... so when I started to slide backwards, I first of all thought it was the Martini...)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
64tonya said:
Thank you Lauren! I'm not sure what you mean by early 40s costume though [huh] Could you please explain? I really appreciate your input :)

What I think Lauren means...(and she will come correct me if I am wrong!) is that it is a costume...as in worn to a costume party. People had theme parties..or costume events...so its like the 1940's does colonial....

I sent you a link to a 20's cd of 'costume ideas' that someone has on ebay with similar dresses about half way down...(alas, cannot post it here, since its ebay)

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
What I think Lauren means...(and she will come correct me if I am wrong!) is that it is a costume...as in worn to a costume party. People had theme parties..or costume events...so its like the 1940's does colonial....

I sent you a link to a 20's cd of 'costume ideas' that someone has on ebay with similar dresses about half way down...(alas, cannot post it here, since its ebay)
:D Aha! Thank u so much!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yes, that's exactly right! In fact, one of my co-workers came in with a vintage pattern the other day from the early 40's that was nearly exactly the dress and hat you have. There are people who look for vintage costumes around halloween so you might have best luck selling it then :) I had a similar one that was from the 20s and it went ok, after I added "shabby chic" to the description ;) but that was several years back when that was a pretty popular thing.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
Yes, that's exactly right! In fact, one of my co-workers came in with a vintage pattern the other day from the early 40's that was nearly exactly the dress and hat you have. There are people who look for vintage costumes around halloween so you might have best luck selling it then :) I had a similar one that was from the 20s and it went ok, after I added "shabby chic" to the description ;) but that was several years back when that was a pretty popular thing.
Thanks for the tip Lauren :)

epr25

Practically Family
I found this at a church sale this week. They had it labeled as 20's 30's? This seems older to me then that. I am not really familiar with the pre 30's so this is where I need some help.

100_9146.jpg
[/IMG]
100_9147.jpg
[/IMG]
100_9151.jpg
[/IMG]
100_9152.jpg
[/IMG]
100_9153.jpg
[/IMG]
100_9145.jpg
[/IMG]
100_9144.jpg
[/IMG]

Lily Powers

Practically Family
That's quite a coat! Well, Val M. Schmitz was a clothier born around 1857 in IN and the business was in operation at least since 1897. Since you're in IN, I'll bet you could easily research the years the company was in business, which would help narrow down when your beautiful coat was made.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I got this unusual Pierre Cardin coat at the thrift shop yesterday for my wife. The color is a richer, more raspberry shade than appears in the photos. It's fairly short, falling just below the hips, with 3/4 length sleeves, puffy black velvet bows and black velvet trim, quite full at the bottom and pleated beneath the cape part so it drapes like a little girl's frock - sort of a Little Red Riding Hood does Gothic Lolita look. Any thoughts on when it might have been made?

RedRidingCoat2.jpg

RedRidingCoat3.jpg

RedRidingCoat1.JPG

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Warbaby, I think, but could be mistaken, that that is 80s mimicking earlier styles.

epr25, My gut extinct is late 1890s, though it could probably be as late as 1905. That's stunning. Lovely!

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Can anyone give me some clues as to the origin of this ring? The antiques dealer I purchased it from claimed it was from the 1920's, and English in origin, but I'm pretty sure they were just guessing based on the design itself, and the gold content. So, English, 20's, and an "engagement ring."
-marked 575, which is 9K, I think.
-appraisal says stones are "red diamonds" and was valued at around $300.
-not signed or marked anywhere
-backside of design is finished and smooth.
Photo393.jpg
Photo405.jpg

Thanks!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
War Baby, Pierre Cardin designed some pretty futuristic garments in brilliantly bright colors in the 1960's when he came to NY from Europe, yet the label tends to make me think it's more modern, like the 1980's. You could probably go online to the company's website and email them a pic and ask for some history on it. That would be fun to include with the coat when you give it to Mrs. War Baby.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Spiffy said:
-marked 575, which is 9K, I think.
-appraisal says stones are "red diamonds" and was valued at around $300.
-not signed or marked anywhere
-backside of design is finished and smooth.
Thanks!

The 575 mark indicates it's just a wee bit under 14K (or close enough in some countries). By modern standards, 14K is 60% (600/1000) pure gold and 18K is 75% (750/1000) pure gold. The number marking is common on European pieces.

Number markings on silver are 925 (925/1000) for sterling and 800 (800/1000) for coin silver. Other numbers are occasionally found - like 900 (slightly less than sterling) and 850 (slightly more than coin).

Hope that helps in identifying future jewelry finds!

BTW - the design has a distinctly Edwardian feel to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred