Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can You Help Me Date This?

epr25

Practically Family
I know there is a thread somewhere with this.... I need some help from the gentlemen here. I found this today. I am assuming it's a tuxedo jacket. No tags are present to help with the dating. Any help would be appreciated!
2012-02-15142216.jpg

2012-02-15142233.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's not a tuxedo jacket. It is a frock coat for formal day wear. I can't date it but it was popular in the decades before the 1920s.

GBR

One of the Regulars
Frock coat for morning/day wear. Striped trousers most usually. 1910-20

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It would actually have been considered old fashioned by the 20's. I believe the frock coat goes back to Lincoln's time. What's interesting to me is that the front corners seem to have a little buit of a curve. A 19th century forck coat would have a pretty square shape down there. It almost seems like a transition from frock coat to a cutaway coat. Marc? Can you help here?

Ed

Familiar Face
The relatively high buttoning three-button front suggests a 19th century morning coat, but it could also be a more
recently made theatrical costume.

Qirrel

Practically Family
This is a pretty common example of a morning coat as worn in the late 19th and early 20th century. Not very easy to pinpoint a year. A good approximation would be 1880s-1910s.

Cobden

Practically Family
I'd go with Qirrel dating. The only time you see three button morning coats more recently is the uniform of Eton College, but the cuff design and lapel shape suggests that it isn't one of them

Qirrel

Practically Family
I'd go with Qirrel dating. The only time you see three button morning coats more recently is the uniform of Eton College, but the cuff design and lapel shape suggests that it isn't one of them

And the lining looks to be that glossy cotton I've seen referred to as "Italian" in period texts. That lining was pretty much out by the 20s. The sleeve, too, is of a cut that disappeared during the 20s.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Certainly not a tuxedo jacket!

It is a frock-coat.

Frock-coats were popular during the later-Victorian era up to the Edwardian era. They were pretty dead by the 20s, when lounge-suits (the modern suit) started replacing it. The shorter, fitted jacket that we have today became more popular than the longer, heavier, more dressy frock-coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner