Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captured: America in Color from 1939-1943

Tiller

Practically Family
Great pics hulk! And Welcome Back! Thanks for sharing. I especially enjoy seeing how everyone dressed for the auction. :)

:eek:fftopic: How did the search for a "Rorschach hat" turn out?

shortbow

Practically Family
Thanks for these, they're really great. In 1975 I worked on the Matador Ranch outside of Dillon, Montana in the summer, and I drank in the saloon and ate in the cafe shown in the Dillon picture. Don't know what it's like now, but back then things looked exactly the same as in the photo. One got the feeling that nothing had changed in 50 years.

frussell

One Too Many
Beautiful photos

Just excellent, although the "backstage at the girlie show" shot may give me nightmares. There's a few good screensavers there. Frank

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hulkamad said:
Hi all,
I wasn't sure in what forum this should go, but the hats in some of the pictures caught my interest and the reason why I am posting this link. The rest of the photos are a fascinating look into that era. Mods please move this to a more appropriate forum if one exists. Enjoy. :)

http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp
Fantastic glimpse into the past. I never knew they had colors back then.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
You really need to look at the Charles W. Cushman collection. There's some incredible stuff he photographed over the decades. While the LOC collection focuses mainly on rural America during the Depression, the Cushman collection also features a lot of urban imagery.

Click here.

Here are some examples from New York in 1941:

P02708.jpg

P02685.jpg

P02521.jpg

hulkamad

Familiar Face
ThreadResurrection01.jpg

LOL.

Hello again all. I have another link with some tips of the hat to even more head-gear of yesteryear. This time from Russia taken between 1909 and 1912. Most, save one, don't even resemble a fedora. What they lack in familiarity, they make up for in fascination. Have a look and tell me what you think! Does anyone know what some of the more exotic hats are?

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

hulkamad

Familiar Face
Tiller said:
Great pics hulk! And Welcome Back! Thanks for sharing. I especially enjoy seeing how everyone dressed for the auction. :)

:eek:fftopic: How did the search for a "Rorschach hat" turn out?

Your welcome!:)
:eek:fftopic: Ah, yes my everquest for the Rorschach hat. The only thing that prevents me from pulling the trigger is a cash-flow problem. Pesky things like automotive repair, rent and the need to purchase and consume food keep getting in the way... :rage: lol :eek:fftopic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy