Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring for Chromexcel Boots

nabottle

A-List Customer
I recently purchased a pair of boots made with Chromexcel Leather. I've read many posts here and learned quite a bit. For that, I thank each and every one of you. I've read a lot of posts about Leather Care, but I thought I would ask for your opinions and preferences. If you have any advice at all, I would be grateful for it.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Nick Horween suggests that since they treat their CXL with neatsfoot oil you should too. IMO the best product out there w neatsfoot oil is Saphir Renovateur. Amazing stuff,

Jules

New in Town
I have been using Sno-Seal on my Chromexcel boots with really good results makes them look almost new once applied.
Putting Sno-Seal on is a bit of a pain but once you've finished it the results are worth it .

Fifty150

One Too Many
Clean with saddle soap. Oil with mink oil or neatsfoot oil. Shoe cream and polish if you want them shiny.

fiebings_saddle_soap.jpg
WFB1003.jpg
06655726.jpg
ihwx.e15eab3b-c342-4c26-b200-74bcaf84abe4.300.300.jpg
lincolnpolish.jpg

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Venetian Shoe Cream all the way...I got three pairs of CXL shoes. Stuff is liquid gold

Fifty150

One Too Many
It would make no sense to saddle soap brand new shoes. But if you actually wear your shoes out in the elements, saddle soap is a very good cleaner. In a pinch, I've also used that pink lotion hand soap that comes out of the dispenser at work, but that was because I didn't have anything else handy. Some of us, in the middle of the night, have had to run across parks to chase someone down. I wanted to get that dirt, mud, and fertilizer off my boots right away.

I suppose that if you had to, car wash solution would work too. Some of those have carnauba wax.

But nothing will damage your shoes with one or two infrequent applications. You just have to remember to follow up with oil and cream later, if you think you cleaned your shoes with something that was too harsh.

Davidm

Familiar Face
Can confirm what Saphir Renovateur works good on CXL.
Used it on my Merlot CXL Vibergs, wore them kinda hard, and now they looks almost like new but with good patina :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner