Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carss Mackinaw

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Carss Mackinaw made blanket coats in Orillia, Ontario from at least 1897. Their signature model was single breasted with caped shoulders and a squared-off shawl collar. They are most commonly seen in red, green, and khaki, all with a blanket stripe at the base. The fabric used in these coats was a whopping 44oz,, and was sourced from a variety of trade blanket manufacturers, including Hudson's Bay and the Bird Woolen Mills. They were advertised as "The Only Genuine Mackinaw Made In Canada". They were retailed by the Hudson's Bay Company, as well as other stores. As with companies like Brown's Beach Jacket, Carss continued to produce nearly the same model coat they started their company with through into the 1960s.

Although most saw action as outdoors sportswear (hunting, camping, logging, etc.) they seem to have also been popular among curling teams. Coats like this were praised for allowing free range of motion, and for being warm for their weight. This made them ideal for sporting applications. I would imagine the bright colors would appeal to a team for uniform use.

1949. The curling rink at far left have matching Carss coats.

Far left foreground. Detroit, MI, 1949. Photographer George Skadding
601798_449838915093357_1615252990_n.jpg

A team with matching Carss coats. Detroit, MI, 1949. Photographer George Skadding

Second from left, Grand Forks Curling Club

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Two from the collection:
Cuts are similar, but with differences. Both have the squared off shawl collar like what you see on the one of the newer LVC Menlo jackets. Both have dual breast pockets, and caped shoulders. The plaid model has a game pouch, handwarmer pockets, and side adjusters mounted high on the back. The Point Blanket one has a belted back and patch pockets on the hips. The plaid coat has an extra button at the very bottom when comared to the red coat.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, those are such HANDSOME coats. I saw a girl in Manhattan today wearing a classic Hudson Bay coat, and had such an urge to start telling her of the vast history involved with such coats, but stopped before I opened my mouth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR