Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changes to Custom Hat

David Bresch

Familiar Face
I have 6 hats now, 2 from Art Fawcett, 2 from Gus Miller, and 2 from Optimo. I have developed an understanding of what I like and what looks good on me. For example, I sent one of the Optimo hats back to have its brim cut down, and Graham idd it and it looks perfect on me now.

Art, poor Art, the first hat I ordered was from Art, of all the felts, I prefer his. And the hats are beautifully constructed. But the hat I had him make me has a crown that is too high and an ornate diamond bash with forward pinch (did I write this correctly?). What can be done to make this hat more suitable for me?

duggap

Banned
David, I suggest you give it some time. I now have six hats from Art and the first one with a really tall crown took me by surprise and I didn't like it. After a while I started liking it and now it is a favorite. What is worse, I don't like my newer hats which all have a lower crown.[huh]

toobacat

One of the Regulars
duggap said:
David, I suggest you give it some time. I now have six hats from Art and the first one with a really tall crown took me by surprise and I didn't like it. After a while I started liking it and now it is a favorite. What is worse, I don't like my newer hats which all have a lower crown.[huh]

How high is your highest crown?

David Bresch

Familiar Face
You are right, I apologize, I need pictures. And I have not tried re-bashing it, that is why I posted, I am looking for suggestions, and this is a good one. Which is the bash that will most give the appearance of lowering the crown? For example, I wonder about the bash in Spellflower's avatar, that looks like it might do the trick....

Stoney

Practically Family
David,

A C Crown or Diamond bash will lower the back. If its just too tall in the front try a deeper center dent. You might want to look at some of the threads like What hat are you wearing today to get some ideas.

Spellflower

Practically Family
David, my avatar shows my Whippet with a diamond crease. This crease is great for high crowns because if you make it deep (as both I and Bogey prefer), it takes up a lot of felt.

You can see more pics of my crease in the "Christmas Hats" thread, but also check out members' photos in the Diamond Authority thread, not to mention stills from The Maltese Falcon.

If the diamond doesn't work, just keep playing with it. Eventually you'll get something you like. If you don't, and the hat is size 7 3/8 or thereabouts, and brown, PM me and I'll take it off your hands.:D

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
If you can't make it work-

Spellflower said:
If the diamond doesn't work, just keep playing with it. Eventually you'll get something you like. If you don't, and the hat is size 7 3/8 or thereabouts, and brown, PM me and I'll take it off your hands.:D

Lots of folks on list would give a fair price for one of Art's. But have you emailed/spoken to Art? I'm sure he could make adjustments and suggestions on re-blocking etc. Better you keep it (though, like Spellflower, I'm a 7 3/8ths) :) You'd actually grow to like it even more if you work through getting it just right!!

toobacat

One of the Regulars
Here is a thread showing one of Matt Deckard's hats with a 6" crowm (scroll down to see the pictures). The 6 inch crown in these pictures looks fine to me. Makes me want a hat with a high crown.

toobacat

One of the Regulars
David, Any luck with the pictures yet? I sure would like to see this high crown hat. I hope you post pictures before you change the bash.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I think it looks fine, but then I like tall crowns. :)

A center crease will bring that front down and even out the height between the front and the rear, making the height less noticeable.

Brad

toobacat

One of the Regulars
It's hard to tell without seeing you wear them, but lined up side by side, I would pick the high crown hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred