Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charcoal Fedora?

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Does anybody know of a charcoal or very dark grey fur felt fedora within the $100 budget range? I've been looking but the ones I found are in the $250-300 range.
Thanks.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Agreed that that Akubras are your best bet for a solid fur-felt fedora under $100. Depending on the style you need, look at other models like the Stylemaster and CEO besides the Federation. HatsDirect is a great dealer, but (assuming that the style/color/size you need is in stock) you can get them for a few dollars less from Everything Australian or Aussie Bush Hats & Oilskins.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. I'm definitely getting one of the Akubras. After the raving reviews here in the Lounge I have pretty much set my mind in getting one of them. Just not sure about which one yet, as they don't seem to have a model with a high crown and the brim length I want, which is a 2 3/8. Most of their fedoras have a 64mm (2" 1/2) brim. But I couldn't find a charcoal in their selection either, which prompted me to look elsewhere. But I want to get 2 fedora hats (my first 2) and one will surely be an Akubras, but the other I would like a charcoal and Akubras doesn't seem to have one.

fatwoul

Practically Family
retrofashion said:
Thanks guys. I'm definitely getting one of the Akubras. After the raving reviews here in the Lounge I have pretty much set my mind in getting one of them. Just not sure about which one yet, as they don't seem to have a model with a high crown and the brim length I want, which is a 2 3/8. Most of their fedoras have a 64mm (2" 1/2) brim. But I couldn't find a charcoal in their selection either, which prompted me to look elsewhere. But I want to get 2 fedora hats (my first 2) and one will surely be an Akubras, but the other I would like a charcoal and Akubras doesn't seem to have one.

It depends on your head size. The larger Federations sometimes have a slightly larger brim proportionally, but I think that varies depending which person cut it at the factory. The Standard Federation is available in "Carbon Grey", and there are some photos of that hat around the Lounge. It might be a bit lighter than you wanted, but it might not - I've never seen one in person.

Also, you can always shave the 1/8 inch off the brim with a scalpel or scissors if you want to. That's what I did with my Fed Dlx, and now I'm used to it, I am glad I did.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
retrofashion said:
Camptown has a gray but it is more than a hundred.

jeff

One of the Regulars
retrofashion said:
But I couldn't find a charcoal in their selection either, which prompted me to look elsewhere. But I want to get 2 fedora hats (my first 2) and one will surely be an Akubras, but the other I would like a charcoal and Akubras doesn't seem to have one.

Would the Squatter in Steel Gray work? This is the hat they call the "Indiana Jones" on AussieBushhats.com.au (which is where I buy my Akubras - great service).

http://akubra.com.au/products_country.html

http://aussiebushhats.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=71

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/sdisplay.asp?id=20

http://www.yatesmenswear.com.au/onlineproducts/akubra/squattersuperfine.html

http://shop.valleycountry.com.au/catalogue/category1/category13/category54/product353

squatter.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's got a wider brim than he's looking for - almost a whole inch wider - and I suspect that he doesn't want to wait three months for it to be made up in that color, either.

But I've also had very good service with Aussie Bush Hats & Oilskins, and I recommend them wholeheartedly.

(Addition: I see some of the other vendors have that color in stock. But it's still probably a MUCH wider brim than he wants.)

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Yes, the brim is longer than I wanted and the crown not as high as I wanted. Also, I was hoping to find a darker grey than that. In some pictures it almost looks like a medium grey. I'm not really looking for an Indy hat in this one. But thanks for the suggestion Jeff.

indycop, yes Camptowns are nice but out of my range right now.

fatwoul, I will look for pictures of the carbon grey Fed around the Lounge, but the Feds are Indy type of hats too and I was really looking for that right now. About trimming my own brim, I don't think I would dare as I have never done it and would hate to mess my first hat up. If they would do it for me at hatsdirect I would consider though.

fatwoul

Practically Family
retrofashion said:
...fatwoul, I will look for pictures of the carbon grey Fed around the Lounge, but the Feds are Indy type of hats too and I was really looking for that right now. About trimming my own brim, I don't think I would dare as I have never done it and would hate to mess my first hat up. If they would do it for me at hatsdirect I would consider though.

Well, they're only really Indy hats if you put that bash into them. HatsDirect / Akubra designed them to be an early 20th century fedora with appeal outside the Indy market, which is why the Standard Fed is available in so many other colours, and why the Fed Dlx is available in black. Really, the only Federation which looks "Indy" is the brown Fed Dlx. I don't think a carbon grey Fed would look Indy, certainly if you applied a different bash.

It's worth asking Ron at HatsDirect if they have a brim trimmer, and would be willing to trim it for you. They're a helpful bunch. Alternatively, since you're in the US, you have a better chance of finding a hat store - even a western hat store - which has a brim-trimming service.

As long as you take your time, and take off the brim in very small increments, it isn't something that should scare you too much. You need to be sure you want to do it, of course, because you can't undo it, but so long as you have somewhere quiet and well lit, a pair of very sharp scissors/scalpel, a tailors chalk, and you aren't in a rush, you would be fine.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
jeff said:
I think the crown on the Squatter is pretty tall (open bash), isn't it? But I hear ya on the "not an indy" and darker gray front.

Would one of these work?

http://www.millerhats.com/mdressfelt_index/derby2.htm

http://www.millerhats.com/mdressfelt_index/derby1.htm

everythingaustralian lists the Squatter crown as being 4.12". I was thinking something in the 5" range. As it is with the lower crown and the wide brim it almost reminds me of Zorro's hat(exaggerating of course:) ).

I do want to get an Indy hat later on, brown and all. Just not yet. Maybe my third hat will be it.

The hats over miller hats you pointed are ok, but all seem to be too light and also not as high as a crown. In terms of color, the charcoal of you avatar hat is really perfect.
Thanks.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
fatwoul said:
Well, they're only really Indy hats if you put that bash into them. HatsDirect / Akubra designed them to be an early 20th century fedora with appeal outside the Indy market, which is why the Standard Fed is available in so many other colours, and why the Fed Dlx is available in black. Really, the only Federation which looks "Indy" is the brown Fed Dlx. I don't think a carbon grey Fed would look Indy, certainly if you applied a different bash.

It's worth asking Ron at HatsDirect if they have a brim trimmer, and would be willing to trim it for you. They're a helpful bunch. Alternatively, since you're in the US, you have a better chance of finding a hat store - even a western hat store - which has a brim-trimming service.

As long as you take your time, and take off the brim in very small increments, it isn't something that should scare you too much. You need to be sure you want to do it, of course, because you can't undo it, but so long as you have somewhere quiet and well lit, a pair of very sharp scissors/scalpel, a tailors chalk, and you aren't in a rush, you would be fine.

Yes, if Hatsdirect would trim the brim for me, or if I find a shop to do it, the Fed may work. The crown is surely high enough. Not sure the grey is dark enough, but I still haven't searched for the pictures. Doing it now.
I'm sure the brim trimming is not that hard. I just didn't want to risk it. I'm actually thinking of customizing the hat with my own ribbon once I get. But I feel much more comfortable doing that, since there's a way back if I mess up first time around.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
swing_graphite.jpg

The Akubra "swing" comes in a "graphite" grey w/ a 2 3/8" x 2 5/8" dimensionally cut brim. (Very IJ) A little over yr. budget at $118 USD & shipping, but a lovely lid!

jeff

One of the Regulars
retrofashion said:
everythingaustralian lists the Squatter crown as being 4.12". I was thinking something in the 5" range. As it is with the lower crown and the wide brim it almost reminds me of Zorro's hat(exaggerating of course:) ).

I think that is 4.12" bashed down in that round shape they have? You might email and ask what it is open crown. Since it's used to make an Indy, I'd suspect it's at least 5 1/2"

jeff

jeff

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
swing_graphite.jpg

The Akubra "swing" comes in a "graphite" grey w/ a 2 3/8" x 2 5/8" dimensionally cut brim. (Very IJ) A little over yr. budget at $118 USD & shipping, but a lovely lid!

Ooh! Nice find, Rick! I'd not seen that model.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
swing_graphite.jpg

Looks nice. More like a medium grey though, but nice. I can't find the swing at hatsdirect though. What's the crown's height?

I want to get 2 hats and I had in mind a medium grey (which the swing seems to be) and a really dark grey or charcoal that looked almost black (Jeff's avatar hat color is dead on). So if I get a grey that is not dark enough I will end up having two similar hats.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
jeff said:
I think that is 4.12" bashed down in that round shape they have? You might email and ask what it is open crown. Since it's used to make an Indy, I'd suspect it's at least 5 1/2"

jeff

That could be Jeff. I will emal them and ask. Thanks!

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
The Hatsdirect "carbon grey" is near black, just so you know ... I was actually looking for something lighter than it turned out to be.

And the "Fedora" (same as David Morgan's "Sydney") has a shorter brim than the Fed. but with a tall crown.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Retro whatever hat you decide, aaron hats has a brim cutter pretty cheap. I have no clue how to use it, maybe you can get with him if you need to get it cut or even cut it yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran