Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CHECK OUT THIS!

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
"Ant Rich, a manager of A & R at Jive Records in New York, has been a hat fan for a few years now. “It goes back to, like, ’02, when the hip-hop industry started dressing up a little bit,”"

Oh yeah, what about RUN D.M.C., they were sportin' lids way before that!
rundmc.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That stupid Kennedy thing dragged up again.

And - the gits - it wasn't Brad Pitt who kicked it off. It was Matt Deckard!

Now, where do they get their definition of "traditional" brim widths?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Not a bad article, nor a bad take on the modern hat.

We are more traditional here, but I welcome others who might take the hat in a different direction.

Hats make a statement. I make mine and I welcome others to make their own.

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
That stupid Kennedy thing dragged up again.

Now, where do they get their definnition of "traditional" brim widths?
Thank you!!

I planned to jump in with a rant about these badly written articles by people who know nothing about their subjects. Who else is sick to death of reading about "Kennedy the HatSlayer"? Or how Brad Pitt re-ignited the hat scene, and that racial slur about those "dorky white guys" finally getting hip.
I was going to be generous and just say congrats to the hat industry. Since they are raising their prices I guess we have Mr. Pitt to blame.

I will stick to my vintage stuff and leave the "snappy, modern styles: a hoodie.." to the Justin Timberlake crowd.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Agreed, it is great to see this generation picking up hats and it being publicised. Now to get the people who are writing these articles to look at the scene that is really wearing hats for style and not the fleeting fashion. those hats shown are pretty flashy and you will see them on the dandy about town, though the true hatwearer that is being bread today is wearing the stout long wearing felt that looks just as good in the 30's 40's and 60's as it does today. Those hats pictured are flower pots.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Senator Jack said:
First Madonna came down from the heavens to give us sex, and now Brad Pitt has given us the hat. Where would we be without celebrities? More shoddy reporting by the Times.

Don't forget you're writing that on Al Gore's Internet. ;)

Fad or legitimate clothing item? We'll see.
I am curious to see how this develops- if the hat
wearer's taste will improve (or if they will expect
more for their $300-$1500).

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Fad Hat Wearers VS. FL Members

I've always assumed FL Members are classic fedora wearers into it for the long haul rather than just Mr. Pitt & assorted Hip Hop artists wearing 2nd rate fad lids :eusa_doh: Yes, just wearing a hat is not "classic style" :rolleyes:

SC :D

art92101

One of the Regulars
Good Catch!

Nice article. Now if only PETA ( People Eating Tasty Animals) could make a fur hat where no animals are harmed during filming......

Feraud

Bartender
Prices -
scan0091.jpg

These prices are high enough to scare off a lot of folks. Especially if a newcomer will view the hat not as a serious piece of menswear but..
These stingy brims and sky pieces (vintage terms for natty hats) are not meant as the crowning glory of a full-dress look. Rather, they top off more ordinary, but still snappy, modern styles: a hoodie, a crisp suit, a polo shirt, a shirt and tie.
..just a "top off".

S

Samsa

Feraud said:
These prices are high enough to scare off a lot of folks. Especially if a newcomer will view the hat not as a serious piece of menswear but.. ..just a "top off".

Not to mention that some of them are just ugly.... the army green fedora looks as if it had been stuffed in a box too small for it and then pulled out months later.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
First, I live in the Detroit area, and the thing about the guy wearing the fedora to his court appearance was all over the news today. Even though my first reaction was that he looked like a thug, I've gotta give him props for his style.

Secondly, I've read that article on fedoras from the NYTimes. I'm agast how retailers would have the nerve to sell hats that look like that for over $1000! Sure, cheaper knock-offs are abound, but maybe I shouldn't gawk at paying $300 for a vintage reproduction with better quality, durability, and presentation.

vintage68

Practically Family
"A rising tide lifts all boats.."

This trend can only be good news for hat makers and those of us who regularly wear a lid. The idea of a fedora going for over a $1000 is just crazy, but if it helps the industry of artisan hat makers I'm all for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy