Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CHECK OUT THIS!

MattJH

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Prices -
scan0091.jpg

Anyone notice that they call that green... thing on the bottom-right a "porkpie?" Are they arbitrarily making things up?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
A couple of guys that are helping "our" scene are wearing hats almost every morning, and it always starts my day out right when Matt and Al are wearing thier fedoras. I just wish they would wear something besides black. They are stuck in that "my hat has to match my overcoat" rut. Just think how great they would look in a nice grey or brown.

gpwpat

Familiar Face
decent article.

but the thing that buggs me is that the article seems to justify hat wearers as Brad Pitt followers, or into Hip Hop.

I wear my hat because I am a follower of classic style and history. and I think they look swank. And I am an individule. Maybe it is the rebel in me.

Probably I got it from my dad. he was always a bit eccentric and he has a huge hat collection and always wore them when I was a kid. When I got older I wanted to stick out like my dad. But instead of piercing my face and Tattooing myself, I just put a lid on it.

So I just hope everybody that sees me in a hat does not imediatly assume I am following Celebrities. I like to think that the Celebs have finally caught up with me. I could care less about celeb life and style. The are there to entertain me in the movies.

I did notice that there is a lot better hat selection at stores this year. But if you look at them they are one size fits all, wool felt and extreamly cheap. Well they only cost 20 bucks too. which is a fraction for what i paid for my Beaver Brand.

But what do I know I am only 31. a mear young pup.

Feraud

Bartender
vintage68 said:
Craig, what would be your point if it WAS a fad?
I am not answering for Craig but here are my .02 cents regarding fads..
The problem with those who live by the fad mentality is the guy who drops anywhere from 3-1000 bucks for a hat because Brad Pitt is seeing wearing it. It is this same putz would attempt to make a derogatory comment about a real hat wearer when the item is not in style.

MattJH

One Too Many
gpwpat said:
So I just hope everybody that sees me in a hat does not imediatly assume I am following Celebrities.

I don't know what type of hats you wear, but unless you're wearing the extra-stingy brim pinstripe fedoras you can purchase at various fashionista mall shops, you don't have much to worry about (think: Britney, Lindsay, Justin, Ashlee, etc.).

Even so, don't sweat what people think. If you're comfortable, other people will perceive you as comfortable and not think twice about it. If you're uncomfortable, other people will sense that.

gpwpat

Familiar Face
No I am very comfortable in my hats.

My point was the articles seem to justify hat wearers because celebs wear them. Not because they look great on a head.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alternately, if uninformed buyers start paying "fad" rates for inferior product it kind of justifies quality manufacturers to take advantage of the price inflation to mark theirs up to reflect how much better they actually are.

With the previous low demand, I'm sure the quality guys aren't making much of a markup right now. If they can get some faddish idiot who wants to "be like Brad" to pay more, especially if the fashionistas get in the mix and start pointing out the brand names worth dropping, the manufacturers who really put in the time and materials would be fools not to increase their profit margins.

Think Armani. The suit isn't "worth" THAT much more than any other, except that folks who don't know better are still willing to pay for the name, so the suits go for twice what they're worth in time and materials. If the Art's and other custom guys get their names dropped by the fashion determiners as "the hats to have" there's no way that increased demand won't drive up prices. Scarcity alone will cause that.

Not that they would, but once the brand is established, an ignorant market will even accept a lowering of quality (which increases production and thus sales) by those previous quality makers without requiring a lowering in price to match.

Then you are left with over-priced mediocrity or unattainably high priced quality as your purchase options.

Worst-case anyway.

vintage68

Practically Family
I guess I just don't see it. A rising tide will lift all boats, and if it IS a fad ( which I'm guessing it will be) then more power and appreciation to artisans making the genuine artical. Quality is quality.

I just don't see how a trend or fad could hurt, no matter how fleeting....

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
vintage68 said:
I guess I just don't see it. A rising tide will lift all boats, and if it IS a fad ( which I'm guessing it will be) then more power and appreciation to artisans making the genuine artical. Quality is quality.

I just don't see how a trend or fad could hurt, no matter how fleeting....

Aside from possible economic effects (again, if the quality guys can make more off of a fad, good for 'em) there's also the personal.

Yes, we're all self-assured grown-ups who don't care what the hoi polloi think about us but just as it gets annoying to have "hey Indiana Jones" yelled out on the street, it also gets annoying when something you've always done gets lumped in with "just being trendy". Since people rationally make judgements based on first impressions, it can even actually impact more than just ones feelings on a practical level.

Case in point, autumn of 1985 in high school. Loved my aviator sunglasses, loved my bomber jacket. No fad in sight, it was just a cool look to my mind. Come spring of '86 and all of a sudden Top Gun was everywhere. couldn't wear the two together without "hey Top Gun / hey Tom Cruise" being yelled out. Actually overheard girls say things like "trendoid loser". So, just by the trend overtaking my preferred style, it impacted my chance of making time with the shallow girls, which was far more important to me back then. ;) Anyway, away went the aviators and the jacket got less wear time as well.

It shouldn't matter, but I hate being lumped in with trendy folk, even by people I don't know and whose opinions I could not care less about. Because in some way, I do.

You think you guys have trouble, I'm going to get 'fad' comments on my hats AND my narrow ties.

Got a nice comment the other day, though, regarding this. I was at the cable office to switch my box and the woman looks at me and says 'I like that hat. You know how to wear it. I see a lot of guys wearing hats like that lately, but they don't know how to wear it. You know how to wear it.'

See? The sisters know. Dumb white women are going to say Brad Pitt, but the sisters know...

Regards,

Senator Jack

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
It shouldn't matter, but I hate being lumped in with trendy folk, even by people I don't know and whose opinions I could not care less about. Because in some way, I do.
I agree. What's worse than being labeled as trendy? Being labeled as trendy, but behind the curve. In the former, you seem to the mass audience as 'in the know'...in the latter, you're just a dweeb. If the style is decades old, it could be rationalized as just individualism or nostalga.

...and yes, Senator Jack, the sisters always know. I work in a predominately African American community, and a lid is generally appreciated with reverence for its style. And I love them for it!

RedPop4

One Too Many
Slicksuit said:
I agree. What's worse than being labeled as trendy? Being labeled as trendy, but behind the curve. In the former, you seem to the mass audience as 'in the know'...in the latter, you're just a dweeb. If the style is decades old, it could be rationalized as just individualism or nostalga.

...and yes, Senator Jack, the sisters always know. I work in a predominately African American community, and a lid is generally appreciated with reverence for its style. And I love them for it!

Same here. Mrs RedPop still says I look retarded, or like a little old man. But at work, now, there's a different story. I can't take credit on the whole, but me and the university press officer have the president and other officiants of the university wearing fedoras.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
They just had a segment on CBS Sunday Morning that reported on that article. Crediting JFK for killing the hat and Brad Pitt for bringing it back. You think a "news" program would do a little more research instead of just regurgitating the story.

Feraud

Bartender
J. M. Stovall said:
They just had a segment on CBS Sunday Morning that reported on that article. Crediting JFK for killing the hat and Brad Pitt for bringing it back. You think a "news" program would do a little more research instead of just regurgitating the story.
hahaha, that is hilarious. I am not surprised to hear this at all.

moustache

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:

No surprise at all with todays media.

JD

Aaron Hats

Vendor
J. M. Stovall said:

Maybe everybody should send the program an email. If enough people do it maybe they'll do more research and a follow up story.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80