Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Checks! (Cheques!)

Sunny

One Too Many
It's time for me to order some more of "them things," and I decided I wanted something to express my classic interest. But I don't know what to look for!

I'd imagine that "their" checks were pretty plain looking, probably issued by banks. That's all well and good; but I want my checks to stand out a little bit, not be completely yawn-inducing. On the other hand, I definitely don't want anything cutesy and so-called shabby chic. No piles of antique-looking junk.

I want something classic and not too boring. Any ideas? I'd also take recommendations about where to order!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I'd recommend going to your bank and see what they offer. I ordered some checks recently (DC Comics line) and almost went for a line that looked like it might be retro. The check example had a China Clipper plane on it. I just didn't know what the other checks looked like, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to chance it. This was at Bank of America and they had a whole brochure with all the choices in it.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also rarely write checks; mine are from Artistic, the Universal Monsters series and I just showed them off tonight at supper: Wolfman, Dracula, Mummy and Frankenstein. Very cool. The checkbook cover is Harley-Davidson (also from Artistic) so you know I've owned that awhile. Back then, checks were at least 10 cents a piece to use plus the price of the checks and any checking account fees, or so my dad said.

kirawoidan

New in Town
I rarely write checks because I prefer my debit card, although my checks are very cute. They are the old version of winnie the pooh, like the drawings from the old books.
crfixeseeyorestail.gif

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
There was a time I was at a electronic store and they had blank checks that appeared you could print your own designs on. I'll have to go back there to find out what company they are. Really interesting and I wonder if that's legal too. lol

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I ordered a set of fabulous ones with Erte sketches on them from the Bank of America website, a couple of months ago. I love them.

everyone who has to pay for checks in getting scammed. What a joke. My bank gives 'em to me for free.

I could go on for hours about the ridiculousness of always needing to "express" oneself in everything one does - i mean, it's cheques. noone cares about your individuality, they just want yer cash! - but that wouldn't be a nice argument.

bk

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Baron, tone it down, bud. If someone wants to pay for their checks or have individualized one, then so be it. No need to put others down here who may make that choice.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
While I personally haven't ever felt the desire to expres myself in this way, if someone wants to ahve a little fun, go to town. I would suggest checking out some of these third party companies. I am sure you can find them online. For a small price, you could prbably get classic movie stars, vintage pictures, or whatever.

I knew a gork in SF who was a swing fan, dresser, teacher etc. Shoe got some great checks from Lowrider magazine. Latinos in CA still love that vintage pachuco look. The designs had drawings of old cars with zoot suiters standing around them. I loved them.

Personal Style

I don't mind when people get personalized checks unless it make it hard to read the check. Cute little baby ducks, hello kittie, whatever. And if they want to spens=d little extra to get'em, hey what ever floats yer boat.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Well, Washington Mutual has what they call "free" checking, but I have to pay to reorder the checks. I used to go for the personalized ones, however to pick out the design you have to go into the branch. Now I'm real lazy so I just reorder them over the phone and tell them; "the cheapest ones you got".lol

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scary

Yeah, the checking is free but the paper and ink aren't. ;) Some poor people actually have to pay a monthly fee for having a checking account. Since the Monster ones are cheaper than the boring white guy Mr. Drysdale ones, I ordered the Monster ones and now can look at Dracula et al. whenever I open my handbag, if I want to. I go in and use the bank's free deposit slips, however. Now just let me slip back into my cardboard box whilst wearing a plain gray sweatsuit....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot