Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago Loungers: The Death of Kiddieland

jayem

A-List Customer
http://www.kiddieland.com/

That saddens me to no extent. Since, it opened in 1929, even my grandmother has tales of going there on summer days. It's such a shame to see a classic attraction that's been a Chicago staple for over 80 years shutting down because of family clashings.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Sorry to hear it. Its funny but I don't believe I ever heard of Kiddieland even though as a child in the 1950s we lived on the West Side just blocks off of North Avenue! :eusa_doh: We always went to Fun Fair in Skokie. :D My grandmother worked for the owners of Fun Fair and so got free tickets for all the grandkids. And although we kids were too young to go, I do remember my parents, & aunts and uncles talk about the great times they had at Riverview. Oh, for the "good old days" Here's a link I found to the Trib talking about Kiddieland. http://www.topix.com/forum/source/chicago-tribune/TG4FAAHNUIKPOOTPK/p3

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Santa's Village (NW burbs-near Barrington) closed a couple years ago as well.

All these closings were the obvious handywork of the evil Six Flags.:rage:

:p

ortega76

Practically Family
What will the children of today do to ride death traps disguised as carnival attractions?

Ah, I miss my childhood daycamp trips to Kiddieland, Santa's Village and Lamb's Farm.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
I'm not familiar with Kiddieland, but if you have fond memories of Riverview (or just wish you did) The Riverview Tavern in Roscoe Village (Damen and Roscoe) has bits and pieces of it all over the pub, as well as some good beers on tap. I really wish I lived during the good old days of the traveling carnivals and local amusement parks...

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Santa's Village (NW burbs-near Barrington) closed a couple years ago as well.

All these closings were the obvious handywork of the evil Six Flags.:rage:

:p
Six Flags is filing for Chapter 11 if I'm not mistaken.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Lotta Little said:
I'm not familiar with Kiddieland, but if you have fond memories of Riverview (or just wish you did) The Riverview Tavern in Roscoe Village (Damen and Roscoe) has bits and pieces of it all over the pub, as well as some good beers on tap.

I was a Kiddieland kid, we never went to Riverview for some reason or other. :(
I'll have to stop by the Riverview Tavern if I can tear myself away from
the Cork n' Kerry in Beverly. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner