Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chocolate and . . . . whisky!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just spent the last several minutes savoring a combination that I suddenly realized I like a lot. I'm slowly snarfing down some really dense 85% dark chocolate with some good Bourbon. Wow.
Anybody else enjoy chocolate with booze?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I attended a chocolate and beer tasting recently. But I've never tried chocolate with whisky....until tomorrow. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was just knocking off a bottle of Evan Williams, which I had bought recently because that's all the store had. Not bad stuff, but not my fave. I would think a single malt scotch might work also. Actually, I've done this with cognac, too. A little nip of this, and a little nip of that. Do I need help?

Ben

One of the Regulars
I once went to a Johnnie Walker tasting where they had the guests put a piece of chocolate in their mouths and take a drink of very cold scotch. It was pretty good.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Caution: Too much sugar in your tummy with liquor will restart the fermentation process in said tummy and the whole business will bubble and squeak with possible trajectory results. Careful moderation is advised. :)

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
olive bleu said:
are we speaking from personal experience, SCOTRACE, or pure scientific fact?:)

Tis a fact. We already have the requisite materials for fermentation in a healthy colon/intestines. That is why the ability to process alcohol exists - because we do it already. If you add lots of sugars and alcohol you do, in fact, increase intestinal fermentation AND augment your alcohol "consumption". lol lol lol I don't know if one can state categorically that this will result in gastric distress though. That would depend on a lot of individual parameters (but, speaking from experience, I'd have an upset tummy, indeed!). :(

Cold scotch!! Now why would one want to do that and cover up the tastes of our beloved scotch? Warming enhances the tastes characteristic of whisky/whiskey but cooling "hides" them (thus we drink white wines cooler to supplement tastes and reds warmer to emphasize tannins- that kind of thing). Perhaps this is a way to "learn" to tolerate the bold tastes for not hiding the chocolate- why not consume them more slowly and thoughtfully would be my prejudiced take on it. :)

olive bleu

One Too Many
mmmm...i wonder if this might help explain why i "toss my cookies" everytime i drink really sweet liquors like Baileys or Baja Rosa??*yucky*lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran