Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing a pocket square

dostacos

Practically Family
I see that one of the custom suit makers offers a pocket square that matches the lining of the suit, I am not sure that would work, unless you flash your lining.

So is it good, bad, or indifferent?

Feraud

Bartender
dostacos said:
I see that one of the custom suit makers offers a pocket square that matches the lining of the suit, I am not sure that would work, unless you flash your lining.

I am indifferent to the square matching the lining. The pocket square should work with the tie and shirt.

dostacos

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I am indifferent to the square matching the lining. The pocket square should work with the tie and shirt.
Yes, I figured that would be the answer. I have a tweed coat that I need pants for and I am thinking of going with a solid pant/vest combo in a chocolate and a second one in a gray and go with a tan/cream or yellow shirt for the brown and light blue ish or gray for the gray, then match the pocket square to the shirt for now.

[after pants and vest arrive I will actually get shirts and ties.

ortega76

Practically Family
I had an appointment down town today and I spied this older cat who was "hooked-up" while waiting for my train. He had his topcoat off and his suit jacket open. He wore a brown fedora that had definitely seen better days but he had a bright yellow and green hat band on it. His breast pocket had the same fabric as a pocket square. Not close- identical. I complimented him on it and asked where he got it. He thanked me and we chatted briefly- apparently his grand-daughter is studying fashion design in New York and made it for him (he's an immigration lawyer and wears suits to court every day). The real kicker- he had matching braces for his pants!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
How about a round square?

pocketsquares.jpg

armod

Familiar Face
luvthatlulu said:
I can think of only two good reasons for a gentleman to wear or carry a pocket square / handkerchief:

1. To complement and add style to his outfit, or

2. Offer to a woman anytime to dry her eyes (like when he's a cad)

im in total agreement with this.
if you are going out and see that you might have a leaky nose stash a pocket packet of paper tissues in one of your jacket pockets. there's no need to be carrying your boogers around.

luvthatlulu said:
and if she does anything other than that with it, he needs a new woman, too!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
real ladies are a rare breed in my city.
and its refreshing to hear someone say what I'm thinking

luvthatlulu said:
Neither of these scenarios should involve anything polyester.
synthetics in general seem to lack the presence or impact the natural textiles do

armod

Familiar Face
dostacos said:

don't rule out the option of getting a tie made from the suit lining too. it might be too thin but talk it through with the suit maker while you're talking about fabrics.

I always browse around textile shops looking at their silks in case something strikes me for a bespoke tie

I also purchased some cotton handkerchiefs at a Walmart that use as pocket squares. Make sure you get the 100% cotton ones and not the poly/rayon/whatever blend. It's nothing against the fabric, I just find the cotton ones absorb better.

I dropped in the other day (Walmart) and puchased these 3 for $3.50

th_DSC00191.jpg

All Cotton, middling quality. Fine as accoutrements, not sure I'd offer one to wipe a tear.

pasnthru

New in Town
I'm not sure about your area, but in northern va we have burlington coat factory, ross, and tj max's. These are great places to visit for undershirts, socks, and pocket squares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou