Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chrome Dome and Dryness

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Ok, I wasn't sure where to put this. Is a bald head a general attire and accoutrement? Or, is it something beautiful that belongs in beauty? Or, should it go into the display case for everyone to see?

So, I have a conundrum, wrapped in an enigma, and sauteed with a little vanity. If this is in the wrong spot, moderators, please move it.

Here is my problem. I have a baling head. I live in Minnesota. The winters are very dry here. The past few days, I've had a OMG, WTF moment with my dome. It is beginning to dry out. This is the first time this has happened. I'm used to getting my hands dry and cracky (even bleeding) in the winter here. But, now the bald part of my head is beginning to get dry. YIKES!!

Does anyone here have a boyfriend who uses moisturizer on their head and can recommend one? Is there any moisturizer that I cam put on my head that isn't too greasy and won't clog my pores? The last thing that I want is a dry scalp with big red pimples staring at all my friends when I talk to them.

Ok, I've been a little tongue and cheek about this, but in reality, I'm totally freaked out. HELP!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My dry skin mostly went away when I changed my diet. Nonetheless, I still get dry skin now and then.

First, I exfoliate with something like Queen Helene Oatmeal & Honey Scrub. I'm sure you could use this in the shower on your scalp. Then I use a moisturizer like Burt's Bees Healthy Healing Carrot Nutritive Body Lotion. It's a lightweight moisturizer.

If you're cracking and bleeding anywhere, try Carmex.

You may have to try some different products to figure out which one works for you.

I also take GNC Hair, Skin & Nails vitamins--these really do help my skin.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Nivea For Men is what I use on my baldness. It also offers a little sun protection.

300.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I started shaving my head completely four and a half years ago, when I realised that no buzzcut would hide the thinning any longer. I tend to exfoliate when in the shower (I have some stuff I use for my facial pores, and I just rub that on over the top of my head), and sometimes a little Oil of Olay when I've dried off. Sun protection I don't think much about as I never step out the door without a hat on, and I tend to avoid the sun anyhow.

Feraud

Bartender
The solution will come down to what works best for your skin.
Try a few of the suggested remedies and see how your head reacts to it. It is not uncommon for people to have to try a few products to see what works.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
My advice is to visit a nutritionist. Chances are there's no good reason for dry skin that can't be remedied through a shift in your diet. Dealing with issues like that topically (treating the symptom rather than the cause) rarely works in the long run. And who knows, maybe some changes will bring on unanticipated improvements elsewhere!

Kory Leach

New in Town
As a neighbor to the West I will recommend the Burts Bees products that Paisley offered as well on the scalp. For the hands "corn huskers lotion" works well for me. Being in extreme climates like we are dry skin is an issue during the winter months -20 will sap the moisture out of just about anything.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I've been using the Ponds at night, and that does seem to help. I think the nutritionist idea may be good too. I know that usually chronic bad breath (which I don't have) has to do with your nutrition.

We received about 18 to 20 inches of snow today. Our wind chill is to be -33 + tomorrow. I'm going to try to stay inside for most of the day. Tonight, lots of lotion though. I've even had my back getting a little dry. Go figure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo