Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Churchill's Teeth

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I guess Everything has a price"

Churchill's false teeth go on sale

LONDON — A set of dentures made for Britain's war-time prime minister Winston Churchill went under the hammer Thursday as auctioneers expected to fetch up to £5,000 for "the teeth that saved the world".

The false teeth were specially designed to preserve Churchill's natural lisp which can still be heard on the morale-boosting radio broadcasts he made to the nation during World War II.
Churchill also used them to vent his frustration when the 1939-45 conflict was not going well by dramatically flicking them out of his mouth, according to Nigel Cudlipp, whose father made the dentures and who is now selling them.

"My father recounted many stories of Churchill putting his thumb behind the front of the teeth and just flicking them," Cudlipp told BBC radio.
"My father used to say he could tell that he could tell how well the war effort was going by how far they went across the room and whether they hit the opposite wall.
"Churchill was not a man who was renowned for his patience."

It is thought that only four sets of the teeth were made. One is thought to have gone to the grave with him, another is in a London museum labelled "the teeth that saved the world" and a third was melted down.

The dentures are going on sale at auctioneers Keys in Aylsham, Norfolk, eastern England, who have issued a guide price of between £4,000 and 5,000 (6,000 euros, 7,800 dollars).
Meanwhile, it was announced Thursday that a huge archive of Churchill's personal papers is to be made available on the Internet for the first time within two years.
This includes around a million pages of material such as annotated drafts of his most famous speeches, school reports and even information about his cat, dogs and pet budgerigar Toby.
"Churchill was someone who lived by his pen so this is an incredibly rich written archive and it must be one of the largest personal archives of its kind in the country," Allen Packwood, director of the Churchill Archives Centre in Cambridge, told AFP.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This is so cool! I've read several Churchill bios and never saw anything about this! It's so in keeping with his personality!
If I could have a personal souvenir of WSC, I kind of think a cigar butt would be appropriate. Actually, a cigar butt would be rare, because he had a groundskeeper at Chartwell who used to collect his cigar butts, crumple them up, and smoke them in his pipe. Churchill spent somewhere between 10% and 20% of his gross income on cigars. The tobacco was the very highest quality.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
This is so cool! I've read several Churchill bios and never saw anything about this! It's so in keeping with his personality!
If I could have a personal souvenir of WSC, I kind of think a cigar butt would be appropriate. Actually, a cigar butt would be rare, because he had a groundskeeper at Chartwell who used to collect his cigar butts, crumple them up, and smoke them in his pipe. Churchill spent somewhere between 10% and 20% of his gross income on cigars. The tobacco was the very highest quality.
And alot of the time he didn't even inhale them.... He would just light them and let them burn away in his mouth... he would have about 10-15 a day

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
Working for Winnie

I work in Churchill's secret wartime bunker in London which is preserved as it was left at the end of the war. I'm so used to being around Churchill's actual possessions and where he slept etc that I've grown to take it for granted now. In the Cabinet Room there is a big red fire bucket that he used to use as an ashtray, he needed a bucket as he smoked 8-10 of them a day. Junior members of staff during wartime would take souvenirs from the bucket!
If you are ever in London, do come and visit!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
One of the things I want to do whenever I finally make my long awaited trip to England, is to go to Churchill's study at Chartwell, and maybe rub or scratch the walls, to see if there is still the aroma of his cigars.
Yesterday'sGirl: you have a super job! I hope you never take it for granted. Anecdotes, PLEASE!

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
dhermann1Yesterday'sGirl: you have a super job! I hope you never take it for granted. Anecdotes said:
My favourite Churchill quote: One of his advisers informed him that the flies on his trousers were undone and he retorted 'The dead bird does not leave the nest'

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
YG: Have you read John Colville's book "On the Fringes of Power"? Many good anecdotes in it.

I haven't, but we sell it at work, along with ALOT of books about Churchill's wit and wisdom. The man certainly had alot to say...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There's one incident, during the war, when Churchill climbs over something that's fallen down to sit in a chair, and goes ass over teakettle onto the floor. Churchill is lying there flat on his back, with his feet sticking straight in the air, laughing his ass off at himself. "I'm a regular Charlie Chaplin!" he chortles. Colville practically wanted to kiss him. He was so moved by Churchill's total lack of false dignity.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
filfoster said:
I wonder at the volume of Johnny Walker and champagne that passed over and through those choppers. "So much champagne, so little time."

A single glass of champagne imparts a feeling of exhilaration. The nerves are braced, the imagination is agreeably stirred; the wits become more nimble. A bottle produces the contrary effect. Excess causes a comatose insensibility. So it is with war: and the quality of both is best discovered by sipping.

~ Winston Churchill

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I thought it was a set of vulcanized rubber complete dentures that were for sale. It looks like a well designed piece. Don't forget too that back then, they made metal partial dentures out of gold. Because gold was softer than the current materials, it had to be made thicker than the ones made today so that one probably has some weight to it. I'm surprised he didn't bend the clasps when he flung them across the room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24