Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Wallabees shoes.

MattJH

One Too Many
I've gone through a lot of shoe phases in my lifetime. As a child of the 80s, it was Nikes and Reeboks exclusively. I went through a Converse Chuck Taylor phase and, for years, exclusively wore Doc Martens. I've tried New Balances as well, with mixed feelings.

A few months ago, I was having a discussion with friend of mine about how there aren't any comfortable shoes that you can wear in a business environment, presumably because manufacturers assume that dress shoes are worn by people who sit all day. This isn't always the case.

Fast-forward to this past March, around my 30th birthday. My wife and I are walking through the King Of Prussia mall outside of Philadelphia and stumble upon a Clarks store. This reminded me that the friend mentioned previously had suggested Wallabees. We walk in and I try a pair on.

WOW. They're like walking on a Nerf cloud. Fantastic. Some people think they're ugly, but it's okay to be wrong. A pair was purchased without hesitation and I've purchased two more since from eBay (much cheaper). I have one pair of boots in Beeswax leather, one low-top in brown leather, and one low-top in black leather. The latter two are my office shoes.

So my quest has definitely ended for the perfect comfort shoe that's flexible enough in appearance to be worn casually or with business dress. I haven't stopped wearing them since March. I know just a small bit about their history after reading a few websites; that they were part of Italian preppy fashion in the 80's, that they've been part of British punk/new-wave fashion for a long time, that they used to be considered school shoes for children. All I know is that they're no match for even the most contoured of the comfort sneaker.

Anyone else a fan?

P.S. - Another excellent trait of the Wallabee: the crepe soles are so quiet that it's exceptionally easy to sneak up on people. I like to pretend I'm an assassin. Or a ninja. Or a ninja assassin.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
So you've discovered Wallabees, eh, Dumbjaw? Your post made me smile, as I remember first wearing these back in the early '70's. At the time, Clark's Desert Boots were also quite the rage. All I know is, my Wallabees were incredibly comfortable -- like walking on air compared to anything else at the time. I've lost track of Wallabees over the years, but your post may get me to try on another pair as part of a Wallabees revival!:)

Cheers,
JtL

MattJH

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
So you've discovered Wallabees, eh, Dumbjaw?

Yes, thank goodness! I know I'm late, but I'd rather be late than ignorant.

jimmy the lid said:
Your post made me smile, as I remember first wearing these back in the early '70's. At the time, Clark's Desert Boots were also quite the rage.

They still are, among Clarks fans. There's a big revival now in the late teen / college crowd. Both Clarks Wallabees and Clarks Desert Treks are considered hip among certain scenester circles these days. I've also received a fair share of compliments from people who are unfamiliar with them. "Ooo, what are those? I like 'em!"

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Oh...Shintaro...now die!

P.S. - Another excellent trait of the Wallabee: the crepe soles are so quiet that it's exceptionally easy to sneak up on people. I like to pretend I'm an assassin. Or a ninja. Or a ninja assassin.[/QUOTE]

Don't tell me we have Ninja and Samurai tragics as well on the FL ....

Where will this all end he asks....?????

MattJH

One Too Many
cookie said:
Don't tell me we have Ninja and Samurai tragics as well on the FL ....

Where will this all end he asks....?????

Wait -- what's wrong with ninjas? I'm also a big fan of vikings!

milandro

A-List Customer
Got some Wallabee and I am very happy with them

1708247913818.png

this one I got are a little different from the pictures pats are shiny leather (top and heel) and parts are mat suede

1708248026460.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner