Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classics.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Re: BellyTank...

Now that we've broached the 'lakes, a little about the BellyTank...

belly_tank_panorama.jpg

http://www.barracudamagazine.com/belly.htm

...if anyone's interested...
BT

Flitcraft

One Too Many
BellyTank:
Thanks for the tip off to the cool sites.
Certainly admire your taste in cars!

Wild Root

Gone Home
I saw a special on Monster Garage when they built a Belly Tank Lakester. Funny how guys were making cars out of old spare fuel tanks for P-51's and P-47's.

Are there any original Lakesters around?

Root.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
c9_1.jpg

Well, I'm not up to scratch on the US dry lakes scene but I believe there are yearly events at Bonneville and Muroc(Edwards AFB) and a lot of people race there but it's not a weekly or monthly occuurence like it was back in the day.
And of course there is the Rat Rod contingent who cross over into this field- nostalgia drag racing is pretty big in every country that has drag strips.
I know of lakester projects and there are originals that have been put back into action but I can't name any specific cars.
Some nice Salt pic's here at the Jalopy Journal>

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/archive/TJJ/snapshots.htm

BT.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
BT are you on the Journal too.....kool.........there is some heavy nostalgia for vintage racing and salt flaters today even a few really kool shows mixed with races.....

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Super 88

It broke my heart, but I sold my '52 Olds Super 88 2 door sedan last year.
It was about halfway through a restoration I began in 1994. All the mechanicals were finished (including a hydramatic rebuild - you should see my collection of GM dealer shop specialty tools). It was in primer, and the seats were reupholstered and ready to install.
Sold it because it was sitting and re-rusting. As happens in the majority of cases, I just didn't have the time or funds to finish it. I lost my butt in the sale. But it's off my plate. Best advice for car guys is to Buy One That Is Finished!
I'm now first in line to claim my father-in-law's 1949 Chevrolet and his '52 Olds sedan (like mine only 4 door). He also has a 29 Model A that I'd love to have, but it is spoken for.
If I had the funds and the space, I'd have a 49 Cadillac (Sedanette and model 62), A 49 Packard, and probably a 37 Lasalle like the one Marcus drove in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Oh, and a '46 Chevrolet pickup.
There's nothing like that old car smell! :)

Merlin

Familiar Face
Hopping on the bandwagon

Given the choice between the rodded-out Chrysler Airflow and the one from the showroom floor, there really isn't any question, is there? But then, Root asked "which one would you spend $100,00 on?" Unfortunately, I wouldn't buy either of them (no slight against Chrysler). If I had $100k to blow on a couple of nice old cars, my shopping list would include a 1941 Cadillac Sixty Special, a '53 Packard Caribbean, a '53 Buick Skylark, maybe a mid-fifties Bentley Mk VI, a '56 Studebaker Starliner, a '58 Cadillac Series 62 convertible (not the Eldorado), perhaps a classic Jeep CJ-2A or CJ-5, an early sixties Mercedes-Benz 220SEb, maybe an early forties GMC CCKW deuce-and-a-half. . . and all of a sudden, I'm about four times over budget, and I haven't even mentioned the '47 Jaguar XK-120, the '55 Aston DB2/4, or the '69 Mercedes 300SEL 6.3.

There's nothing like massive grad school debt to keep you from feeding your automotive addiction. I need a higher paying job.

Well, I do already have a '58 Caddy Series 62 sedan; as soon as I de-mothball her for the spring season, I'll try and get some pictures posted. That is, assuming the 20 year old paint job hasn't deteriorated too much. . .

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, even I wouldn't buy an Airflow for $100,000. I would buy a 1939 Graham like this...

When I asked the question, I wanted to see what the general taste was. If most would go for the extreme custom or the original stock classic.

So, ANSWER THE QUESTION! :p

Root.

1939graham7ku.jpg

Merlin

Familiar Face
Wild Root said:
Well, even I wouldn't buy an Airflow for $100,000. I would buy a 1939 Graham like this...

When I asked the question, I wanted to see what the general taste was. If most would go for the extreme custom or the original stock classic.

So, ANSWER THE QUESTION! :p

Root.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen more than a few head turning hot rods in my day. That said, I've also witnessed my share of automotive travesties. I'll take my wheels stock and unmodified, please.

Oh, and if you're using your $100k to buy the '39 Graham, I'm using mine to pick up this '36 Cord 810. . . ;)

PICT0419.JPG

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ever see one of these? A 1937 two door Hudson Terraplane soft top. This one was for sale on collector car trader and is known to be one of 3 in the world known to exist.

Root.

1937hudson7ee.jpg

Merlin

Familiar Face
Wild Root said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhH! NICE!

How about this 41 Cad? Four door rag top!

Root.

See, now, THAT'S my idea of a car! '41 Series 62 convertible. Come to think of it, last summer at the Greenwich (CT) Concours D'Elegance, I took a picture of a car that would look great in the garage next to that one. . .

194160s.JPG

And I've seen a lot of rare cars, but I have to admit I've never seen a '37 Terraplane quite like that one. Love the sidemount!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran