Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clean that hat.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I am a bit anal about being in the rain not wearing any fedora (it will never happen. That is the main function of my hats.)

I think we use our hats differently. I can't imagine ever needing to shampoo a hat, much less wanting to risk damaging it that way.
I am too much of a "chicken" to wear any of my Fedora's in the rain, but I do use and carry an umbrella.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I've been rained on plenty of times. So far the only hats that couldn't take it were the Miller Hats branded from Biltmore. One cloudburst and that one was pretty messed up. In all, not happy with Biltmore. But, the other stuff, no problem.

Tom

job

One Too Many
I have a old western resistol. When I brush it I can see a light dust in the air. I cleaned the hat with Scots spray on cleaner and it still puts out a dust like puff. The hat is around 30 yrs old. The hat looks better though.

carldelo

One Too Many
Have been using a purpose-bought shaving soap brush. It seems to be the right size for the job. If the job is dust.

This is a great idea - I have a nice badger brush that I never use for shaving. I just tried it out and it does a perfect job on recessed tear drop crowns, and is easier to get into the brim break than a regular brim brush. I've been meaning to buy a crown brush like the ones I've seen used at Bencraft, but the shaving brush does a fine job.

jkingrph

Practically Family
The brush attachment of a vacuum works very well at getting all the dust off. I just did it to my first Akubra not fifteen minutes ago! Brush and suck, fellas.

About 20 years ago before I really started wearing hats regularly, my brother in law shows up with what had been a fairly nice black western Stedson. Dirty is putting it mildly.

I have a big Miluwakee wet/dry vaccum so I put a brush on it and proceded to clean his hat. It sucked stuff out of the felt that I never thought it would touch. We would vaccum a bit then beat it and vaccum some more. It went from a dirty brown black to a clean looking black, not perfect but much much cleaner looking

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I just snagged a Kent hat brush on eBay, which they sadly do not make any longer. I used it to give my Locke’s and Co. Bowler (I.E. Bowler) a good brushing, and I could not believe the difference! I bought the hat new from Locke’s almost 20 years ago, and have always kept it in the hatbox I got with the hat when in London when not wearing it. I wish now I had kept all the clothes and hat brushes my grandparents had when I was clearing there house after my grandmother passed away, live and learn. Thankfully they still make hat brushes, and at times you can find a bargain on line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace