Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes Don't Make The Man.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
No, clothes don't make the man, but they do proclaim the man.

Doc, it sounds like your gentle colleague is proclaiming that he's self-employed (I gather he's an author) and has a certain degree of independence and informality. But if the occasion called for it, I think he would put on a suit and tie.

At the other end of the spectrum, a former employer of mine once used the services of a couple of very well-dressed investors, who took him for over $1M. :cry:

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
My Grandfather's brother which his name has slipped my mind at the moment, I am ashamed to say, was always known as a Gentleman. He even dressed the part. He dressed very similar to the great Gary Cooper. It was during the same time period. There was one story about him that always stood in my mind. He was on a trolly in Wilmington NC and some lout made a disparging coment to a lady. My great uncle asked the individual to apologize and he refused with a few comments to my great uncle. In turn my uncle slipped his kid skin gloves back on to his right hand and laid the lout out. He then took off the glove and apologized to the young lady for the lout and for her to have to witness his correction of the lout. I would love to have known him. He was older than my Grandfather. My Grandfather would be 106 years old if he was alive today.

Feraud

Bartender
Gray Ghost said:
There was one story about him that always stood in my mind. He was on a trolly in Wilmington NC and some lout made a disparging coment to a lady. My great uncle asked the individual to apologize and he refused with a few comments to my great uncle. In turn my uncle slipped his kid skin gloves back on to his right hand and laid the lout out. He then took off the glove and apologized to the young lady for the lout and for her to have to witness his correction of the lout. I would love to have known him. He was older than my Grandfather. My Grandfather would be 106 years old if he was alive today.
That is a wonderful story. It also illustrates how different times are today. If I had to knock a guy down everytime I witnessed a rude comment towards a woman, I'd be in jail for a long time!

LEUII

One of the Regulars
Wonderful thread and one that should be shouted loudly into the ears of every male today. I have two jobs. One, a general contractor, the other a pastor. Often when people discover that they will utter a comment along these lines, 'Wow, I'll bet you see two different sides of life.' At times it does seem like a bipolar existence, but in reality there is one trait that I see consistently: the feminisation and increasing barbarism of the American male. The lack of common manners and the increasing predatory nature of men toward women is shocking. It colours most of our society.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the other hand, they can help one's attitude. I find that when I'm well-dressed, I stand up straighter and carry myself with more pride. By the same token, when I dress like a slob, I tend to act like one if I don't watch myself.

The really funny thing is that in the last six months, I've started dressing better and have acquired some classic style clothes, and I've found that I've actually lost some weight. Not much, but enough so that clothes that were tight on me six months ago are now loose. I haven't changed my diet or exercise, but I think the attitude improvement from taking better care of my appearance has had an effect on my metabolism. Then again, I may unconsciously be eating less because I feel better, and feeling better because I'm eating less.

Some of my nearly new clothes might have to be taken in soon, but I'm not complaining. ;)

Of course, the basic character has to be there. A sleazeball in a snappy suit is still a sleazeball.

Rosie

One Too Many
sticking my nose in

I think it's great that you guys are even discussing such a topic, this is one of the reasons this is such a great place to visit :eusa_clap. On a side note, the poem The Wolf linked to is great and was taught to all of the boys in my elementary school, when we graduated they were given a framed copy of it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tony in Tarzana said:
On the other hand, they can help one's attitude.
So true, T-in-T. I'm involved with a charity that hosts two fundraising events, a Winter Soiree(Black Tie) and a Summer Soiree(beachwear). While the same people are in attendance at both events, their behavior at the Summer Soiree is markedly inferior.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
They really don't make the man

No they don't, and neither do manners. Substitute the word lady anywhere through here. Whether one is dressed in rags, saggy bottomed trousers and a bright pink fedora, any style at all, the thread has already established if the attitude is there the man shows through. And that doesn't mean he has it because he opens doors, or shakes hands in greeting, if he defends a lady, or behaves impeccably at the table. History is full of persons of style and social grace that are the most devious manipulators, cads in business, despots, cowards, and general bizzums. What maketh the man is the correct attitude to all aspects of his life, and clothes don't matter a fig, and manners can be a little lax here and there, and he can be a bit rough round the edges. What matters is honour, honesty, courage (not necessarily on the battlefield, there are many forms of courage), respect for your fellows howsoever they may treat you (and yes sometimes that may mean laying a person out, with respect ;)), respect for yourself, a willingness to make your own way in life without walking over others, hard work, a sense of true fairness and justice, commitment to your life and those in it - add the rest. There is a man, who can walk with his head high metaphorically or literally, who might swear, he may have a few vices, curmudgeonly or a perfect student of the social graces, but he has a code and lives by it. As I said, substitute 'lady' wherever.

Caledonia said:
No they don't, and neither do manners. Substitute the word lady anywhere through here. Whether one is dressed in rags, saggy bottomed trousers and a bright pink fedora, any style at all, the thread has already established if the attitude is there the man shows through. And that doesn't mean he has it because he opens doors, or shakes hands in greeting, if he defends a lady, or behaves impeccably at the table. History is full of persons of style and social grace that are the most devious manipulators, cads in business, despots, cowards, and general bizzums. What maketh the man is the correct attitude to all aspects of his life, and clothes don't matter a fig, and manners can be a little lax here and there, and he can be a bit rough round the edges. What matters is honour, honesty, courage (not necessarily on the battlefield, there are many forms of courage), respect for your fellows howsoever they may treat you (and yes sometimes that may mean laying a person out, with respect ;)), respect for yourself, a willingness to make your own way in life without walking over others, hard work, a sense of true fairness and justice, commitment to your life and those in it - add the rest. There is a man, who can walk with his head high metaphorically or literally, who might swear, he may have a few vices, curmudgeonly or a perfect student of the social graces, but he has a code and lives by it. As I said, substitute 'lady' wherever.

Exactly! Think of the movie Our Man Godfrey. :D

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Rosie said:
... the poem The Wolf linked to is great and was taught to all of the boys in my elementary school ...
Reminds me of an Episcopalian hymn we sang in chapel in high school. It's called For the Brave of Every Race. It began:

"For the brave of every race,
All who served and fell on sleep;
Whose forgotten resting place
Rolling years have buried deep ..."

One line that really stood out for me: "Strong, yet battling for the weak."

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
Reminds me of an Episcopalian hymn we sang in chapel in high school. It's called For the Brave of Every Race. It began:

"For the brave of every race,
All who served and fell on sleep;
Whose forgotten resting place
Rolling years have buried deep ..."

One line that really stood out for me: "Strong, yet battling for the weak."

Excellent! Jotted in my collection of memorables. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace