Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing/attire tips for short men

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
O.K. -- some background -- I'm a short guy, 5'6" tall, thin build, 135-140 pounds in weight. I'm in relatively good shape, lift weights, hike, etc.

I'll be the first to admit that even at 37 years old, I've always wondered if there are special "rules" for short men when it comes to clothing.

For example, I've heard someone my height shouldn't wear anything with horizontal stripes, and baggy pants and jeans aren't a good idea either. I don't wear horizontal stripes, but I do like my slacks and jeans a bit more loose fitting.

Also, another frustration I have is that store-bought shirts are never made for guys my size. For example, my experience is a 16-32/33 dress shirt (what I wear) is really made for someone bigger and taller. They're always too puffy in the body and way too long in length. T-shirts and casual shirts are also way too long.

So, to sum up:

- What are some general clothing/attire tips for short dudes like me (btw, we short guys need a term like the Big and Tall people have, instead of just "short")?

- Should casual shirts and t-shirts be tucked in or left out?

- Should we avoid jeans all together (something I've heard)?

- What about ties? Most ties are too long, no matter the not style.

- What do you do if you're on a limited budget and can't afford professional alterations?

Obviously, I'd like to hear from my fellow short male friends, but I'd like to hear from other guys and the ladies as well.

Steve

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Avoid too-large clothes; they just make you look smaller.

If you have a short neck, avoid high and button-down collars.

What's wrong with jeans?

Maybe the boys department would carry clothes that would fit you better than those in the men's section.

Don't leave your shirttail out if you are long-waisted (that is, short-legged). It just makes your legs look shorter.

Develop really good posture. It will make you appear a few inches taller.

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Oh, the trouble we little folk have. I am also 5'6" and also of a thin frame. Well, it has expanded some but not too much...

I actually stay away from jeans all together because I do not like them on me. I have never found a "good" pair of jeans. Ever. As such, the only kind of trousers I wear are slacks/khakis, cargo pants or running pants. That is all. Well, sometimes shorts. I do not know if it is being short or just my frame but I have never liked jeans and gave them up about 10 years ago. Now I can not imagine wearing them.

For casual shirts, I usually leave them unbuttoned unless I am dressing up. At work we are business casual so I should probably tuck my shirt in, I just choose not to. I tried to tuck everything in for a while but did not like it. Oh, I also do not wear horizontal stipes very often but it really depends on the shirt. Some horizontal stripes look good, most do not. I am not very knowledgeable about dress shirts because I do not wear them very often. I have a wide neck with a huge adam's apple so I will not be much good to you there.

I avoid the boys department like the plauge. I refuse to even look there out of sheer, stubborn pride. ;)

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Dutch McCoy said:
I avoid the boys department like the plauge. I refuse to even look there out of sheer, stubborn pride. ;)

Thanks Dutch. You and I sound similar. I also refuse to shop in the boys department -- no way. The one time I did, I found that the lengths were O.K., but everything else was all wrong. It's like they make young man's clothing for people who have never lifted a weight in their life or have shoulders like a girly man :mad:.

Steve

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
Maybe look to "celebrities" who are in you height range and pay attention to what the are wearing, after all they pay people to help them look good. Might be a good place to start.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Some stores cater to men under 5'8". In Los Angeles, there is a store called Jimmy Au's. The clothes are "scaled" down to fit shorter men. Good luck!

DaveTheDude

Suspended
My father is short in stature. Enough said, he always looks good.

The most important tip is to buy the fit, not the size. Designers and manufacturers have different opinions on how a size 40 short should fit.
If you are 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 9 inches, try both short and regular size coats to see what fits best. If you are 5 feet 4 inches 5 feet 5 inches, try both short and extra short size coats to see what fits best. When it comes to dress pants, wear the shortest rise you can comfortably wear.

Choose a slimmer and shorter necktie to better balance your body. If the necktie is too long or wide, shorten it from the wider end. Keep patterns small enough to repeat several times

Find a trim fitted dress shirt with the pocket and collar in the right size so that it doesn’t make you look like a "flying squirrel". Shorten sleeves to fit about 1/2 inch below the wrist, and shorten the shirt hem enough so you can tuck it in your pants without having it bunch at the crotch. If the pocket is set too low or the collar of the neck too high, pass on it.

Choose dress shoes of a clean and simple design and thinner soles. Plain toe oxfords are sleek and take attention away from your feet. Avoid chunky soles, it makes you look like a teen who’s never worn a suit before. Leather soles of most American and English style shoes are appropriate for both plain and cuffed hems. Italian and Spanish style shoes usually have thinner soles and are best with a plain hem. To add height, a dress boot can be appropriate. Classic shoes like wing tips are appropriate with suits.

Socks should match your pants or be a shade darker.

As for jeans, avoid full-cut baggy styles. Choose trimmer models like a straight leg or boot cut. The best would be a short rise boot cut.
When given the choice, choose a short rise if you want to wear it at the waist, and a low rise if you want to wear it close to the hip. Avoid stovepipe legs, bell bottoms and baggy fitting styles. They bring all your attention down and to the floor. The deal breaker in all jeans is how your butt looks in them. Comfort and attractiveness are inversely related. In most cases, the less comfortable it is, the better your butt probably looks in them. Ask your woman.

It’s a huge misconception that clothing has to be loose to be comfortable, especially casual wear. Tight isn’t good either, but clothing that is too loose will make you perspire and chafe more.
Short sleeve casuals like camp shirts, polos and T-shirts need to be trimmer in order to look great and feel great. Solids are great, but for a more lengthening effect choose vertical patterns or prints. If you like horizontal stripes, choose stripe combinations that are thinner and/or more subtle in color contrasts. Be aware of shirts that are too long and have the shirt hem shortened.
When wearing shorts, choose styles that are above the knee. Avoid shorts with too many cargo style pockets. It just looks like you have a bunch of material wrapped around your waist. Cleaner styles like short rise walk shorts or tennis shorts are good.

Lastly PastimeSteve, It's all about your self-confidence. A confident man will look good in anything! You seem to be a rather confident gent. I'm sure you wear your clothes well.

I'm 5' 7" and am always arguing with everyone here because they post these general 'rules' (always use a 4 in hand) that simply don't cut it for men under the national average.

- What are some general clothing/attire tips for short dudes like me (btw, we short guys need a term like the Big and Tall people have, instead of just "short")?

Short or tall, no one looks good in baggy clothes.

- Should casual shirts and t-shirts be tucked in or left out?

I've never noticed any difference.

- Should we avoid jeans all together (something I've heard)?

Huh? Again, avoid baggy and you'll be fine. Best is slim fit, if you're weight allows you to get away with it.

- What about ties? Most ties are too long, no matter the not style.

I've gone on about this enough. Vintage ties were cut shorter, and even then, you may have to use a (double) windsor. Don't worry about the knot being fat. It won't. Modern ties don't look good on ayone, anyway, so why buy them?

- What do you do if you're on a limited budget and can't afford professional alterations?

Save money and get them altered. Even with vintage suits, I've rarely come across one that I didn't have to have something altered.

Shirts - Shirts from the 60s and earlier fit shorter men far better than the modern fare. Forget about buying a modern shirt that's going to fit off the rack. My friend is about 5'5" and I brought him to Joe Hemrajani for the first time. He got 2 shirts for $110 and he couldn't believe the difference. No saggy underarms - no billowing waist. if you don't want to hunt for vintage, just go custom.

We need to hear from Baron Kurtz.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
I'm 5' 7" and am always arguing with everyone here because they post these general 'rules' (always use a 4 in hand) that simply don't cut it for men under the national average.

I still say 5'7 isn't short. ;)

DaveTheDude

Suspended
Zig2k143 said:
I still say 5'7 isn't short. ;)
Well it sure isn't tall!

Like I said on this thread just a couple of posts ago, it's not how short or tall you are. It's how confident you are.

A confident man stands tall no matter what the number on the tape measure or ruler says.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
DaveTheDude said:
A confident man stands tall no matter what the number on the tape measure or ruler says.

Well said Dave, well said. :eusa_clap And, thanks to everyone for your excellent advice so far.

I do have to say that no matter how confident one is (and I'm pretty darn confident), I believe shorter men have to fight a little harder for respect from both men and women, but that's a whole different discussion. I remember my sister-in-law mouthing off years ago that she could kick my butt, simply because I was shorter than her. Yeah, right. lol I also think it can be an issue in the professional world.

Steve

I've never found a sartorial "rule" i couldn't break. I suspect the Senator is in a similar boat.

At 5' 3" (moi) the advice would be to 'always dress big' and 'try to offset the shortness'. I ignore this completely. I am short. If i dress big it just looks like i've raided my father's wardrobe. I take a leaf from the Duke of Windsor's book - he was even shorter than i am - and usually dress slim. Close fitting jackets with natural shoulders are the best for me.

The big patterns and horizontal stripes thing is a red herring. The only people who look bad in horizontal stripes are fat people. Shorties can easily wear such patterns. (If you care about looking taller, bold pinstripes will make you appear taller).

I look short because i am short.

The one and only thing i've come across that's actually accurate - and i fear from your avatar that you're an Indy fan - is to not wear a hat that's dimensions are too big. I've found the Indy hat to be too big for most short men.

bk

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
The one and only thing i've come across that's actually accurate - and i fear from your avatar that you're an Indy fan - is to not wear a hat that's dimensions are too big. I've found the Indy hat to be too big for most short men.bk

Thanks Baron -- yes, I'm an Indy fan, but have always just liked the hat. Honestly, does it look too big on me?

June16pictures004.jpg

Steve

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
PastimeSteve said:
I do have to say that no matter how confident one is (and I'm pretty darn confident), I believe shorter men have to fight a little harder for respect from both men and women, but that's a whole different discussion.

Amen, brother. I know I have a hell of a time some days. I was a manager of a major pet supply chain store and everytime a disgruntled customer took their first look at me, they almost laughed. Of course, they soon knew that I knew what I was talking about and gave me the respect I deserved, it was just that first few minutes every time that really wore on me. And still does some days.

There are some really great tips on here that I am going to have to start trying. I totally agree that the size of the shirt/pants do not matter, it is the fit.

Feraud

Bartender
Most of the sound advice has already been given. Try not wear clothes that are too baggy or too tight. I would suggest this to men of any height or weight. Leather or suit jackets with shoulders that hang, pant legs bunching up, and shirt necks that are too tight or loose should be avoided. Try to dress per your proportion.

When it comes to buying suits, a trip to the tailor is an inevitability. Check if there is a family member who can alter pants or jacket sleeves if money is an issue. I tend to find good sale deals on suits so having the pants and sleeves altered is required and goes into the cost of the suit. Search for slim cut dress shirts if you find modern ones too baggy. Keep in mind a custom made item (shirt, suit) when your spouse asks you for a gift suggestion.

PastimeSteve said:
I believe shorter men have to fight a little harder for respect from both men and women, but that's a whole different discussion.
I have never believed this is true.

PastimeSteve said:
Thanks Baron -- yes, I'm an Indy fan, but have always just liked the hat. Honestly, does it look too big on me?

June16pictures004.jpg

Steve

The brim width is good. I'd say the crown was a bit high. (what's the word on indy hats? Can they be got with varying dimensions? I know how nuts people are about the accuracy . . . for example, is the crown height on an AB hat the same for size 7, 7 3/8, 7 7/8 etc? This would not make sense to me)

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats