Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit 100 Mission G-1

Todd M.

One of the Regulars
Absolutely not the case. I am a partner at Cockpit USA, we have our own factory, and do absolutely nothing with Schott. We manufacture our stuff only, here in the USA.

this whole thread is great, and I will try to give you guys some answers if you're interested in hearing them.
I'm a huge fan of your Cockpit collection and so are many on here! How about a group discount for your loyalist?;)

Brettafett

One Too Many
Can I get a 100 mission G-1 in a Long size? :)
Welcome to the Lounge, BTW.
+1
Why do the make them so short!
My 100 missions G-1 was superb, but returned it cause it was too short in the back.
Search the web and most pics of guys wearing Cockpit jackets look short in the body (although the sleeves are nice and long)...

I am trying to contact Cockpit and have connected with Jackey, enquiring about long sizes for a Forrestal, Mils Spec G-1 and /or 100 missions...
Have also asked for actual measurements for these jackets.... but as yet no def replies...
I don't want stock numbers, I am convinced these jackets vary by at least an inch in body length depending on production batch. I have corresponded with a number of vendors who have corroborate this.

Apparently a long size is possible for the Forrestal/ 100 missions, but at 30% on top of regular price! That plus postage to UK and import duties, may as well get an Eastman G-1 or M422a.
Pity, Id love one these Cockpits...

Brettafett

One Too Many
Just to push the point (for sympathy ;)

Cockpit Mil Spec G-1 b.jpg
cuj080603110_1.jpg cuj080603108_1.jpg
4640804535_caa36d6d0e.jpg
Cockpit Forestal.jpg
IMG_4851.JPG 871E7358-6BCE-48F1-8FE9-F2CC70ADD08D_zps9qfptw7b.jpg

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
+1
Why do the make them so short!
My 100 missions G-1 was superb, but returned it cause it was too short in the back.
Search the web and most pics of guys wearing Cockpit jackets look short in the body (although the sleeves are nice and long)...

I am trying to contact Cockpit and have connected with Jackey, enquiring about long sizes for a Forrestal, Mils Spec G-1 and /or 100 missions...
Have also asked for actual measurements for these jackets.... but as yet no def replies...
I don't want stock numbers, I am convinced these jackets vary by at least an inch in body length depending on production batch. I have corresponded with a number of vendors who have corroborate this.

Apparently a long size is possible for the Forrestal/ 100 missions, but at 30% on top of regular price! That plus postage to UK and import duties, may as well get an Eastman G-1 or M422a.
Pity, Id love one these Cockpits...

Same postage & import issues here. I'd love one of those 100 Missions, would probably change out the mouton for some 'rust' that I've got tucked away, maybe swap the zipper for a NOS period version...starting to get very expensive by this point in a Regular fit....

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Deacon, it was I who blew up at G&B their so-called 'USN G-1'.
I was interested in purchasing one because of their reputation for quality, but since I'd read on the Lounge about their sizes being generous, I mailed them for measurements.
The reply blew me away; a label size 48 jacket was 22 inches wider across the waistband than my issue E-series G-1s ( which themselves represent 'looser' fit G-1s).
I couldn't just order a smaller size because the chest and arm lengths would be too small.
I strongly suggested that it was misleading to call this jacket a 'USN G-1', and they informed me by mail (I could likely find the mail and post it) that they were forced to change the cut from the military pattern to a 'looser one for today's body types'.
I told them they should put it on the website as 'Fat Guy's G-1'.
I recently bought an early 80's Flightsuits (later G&B) G-1 and it's not bad at all.

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
Deacon, it was I who blew up at G&B their so-called 'USN G-1'.
I was interested in purchasing one because of their reputation for quality, but since I'd read on the Lounge about their sizes being generous, I mailed them for measurements.
The reply blew me away; a label size 48 jacket was 22 inches wider across the waistband than my issue E-series G-1s ( which themselves represent 'looser' fit G-1s).
I couldn't just order a smaller size because the chest and arm lengths would be too small.
I strongly suggested that it was misleading to call this jacket a 'USN G-1', and they informed me by mail (I could likely find the mail and post it) that they were forced to change the cut from the military pattern to a 'looser one for today's body types'.
I told them they should put it on the website as 'Fat Guy's G-1'.
I recently bought an early 80's Flightsuits (later G&B) G-1 and it's not bad at all.

Ok.... not to be rude, but three words, "Made To Measure". You"ll receive a jacket that fits like a glove from G&B. Just take the extra time and work with them, they're great people.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I am really sorry you have been having problems with this. If you able to message me here directly, I can get you in touch with the right person.

I have received personal emails from Cockpit, and always in a timely fashion. They are great at communications.

Deacon211

One Too Many
G&B no longer does any custom work. None. Period.

Yes, I was about to point out the same thing sadly.

But for all that, Big J has a fair point. For those who had (and now necessarily have) stock jackets, the G+B line starts venturing into that area where it doesn't really fit like a "historic" G-1. To Tex's point though, if DoD sizing has increased then in fact the G+B G-1 does fit like a G-1, though perhaps a "modern" one, if we are making distinctions.

But, having tried both a 2012 G+B G-1 and a Cockpit G-1 of around the same vintage, the Cockpit fits much trimmer. Interestingly, the Cockpit is labelled "mil-spec" while the G+B is no longer labelled as such.

This is why I tend to be somewhat dubious at times with various claims. It's not that I believe people are being particularly deceptive. But I do think people may only know what they've heard and always wisely protect the brand.

So, Tex speaks to one person and is told that G+B is following DoD sizing, BigJ speaks to another and is told that G+B has broadened the fit to accommodate the enlarging customer base. I spoke to the very pleasant sales manager and he didn't really know how sizes had changed over time.

That's really why I find these discussions valuable. Believe one perspective, believe another. Believe what you wish and choose the jacket based on the criteria that is important to you.

But at least you will do so informed. :)

thor

Call Me a Cab
Sadly I was informed by a G&B sales rep that they no longer offer their M-422a :(

If anyone wants to part with their's (size 42/44/46 long, depending on actual measurements), please let me know.

My Cockpit 100-Mission G-1 looks like an early '50's G-1 but I also love the russet brown/red lining WWII M-422a. I need to add a nice repro 422a to my collection :rolleyes:

kojax

Practically Family
g&b jackets always ran big . i have one of there a-2 jacket goatskin the goatskin leather is real nice my friend works at G&B he told me they are moving and they will start making jackets soon

Deacon211

One Too Many
g&b jackets always ran big . i have one of there a-2 jacket goatskin the goatskin leather is real nice my friend works at G&B he told me they are moving and they will start making jackets soon

Interesting! It would be nice to see them stick around.

I had one of their older M-422a jackets from the mid '90s. It was not big at all. I can't say for certain if that was peculiar to the 422a. I really think they got bigger over time when they got tired of gentlemen my age returning jackets (which they did for free) because they didn't fit them like some skinny lieutenant or ensign fresh out of Pensacola.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo