Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coffee/ Espresso/ other

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
Percolater? The worst way? Surely this is worse:

I've made cowboy coffee with a boiler, just dumpa in coffe and boil away to desired darkeness/bitterness. Drop an egg in to settle the grounds, and drink away. GOD its awful! But I'll still make a pot every once in a blue moon for nostalgia.

CH

Lorena B

Practically Family
Nothing better for me as my Spanish favorite, the cortado,
Nice expreso with a dash of milk, a la Spanish way, hmmm.
Off to make one now!!!:)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I love a good cup of coffee - and to me that's a strong cup, iced or hot. I add only half & half and prefer it saddle tan in color.

The dam'dest good cup I've had lately was iced cold-infusion brewed at Ninth Street Espresso in NYC. Imagine iced joe with ALL the deep smoky flavor of a dark roast - no watered-down taste!

I'm going to learn to cold-brew myself. You have to refrig it overnight in a special pot, but from there you can serve it on ice or heat it up.

Till recently my dental hygienist always chided me about coffee stains. I switched electric toothbrushes and pastes - my current one has baking soda plus peroxide - and that seems to keep Lisa happy. (You want Lisa happy.)

You may not know it but: Coffee, is the life blood of many Lutherans. The Sacramental wine maybe in an unlocked cabinet but the coffee is under lock and key at many a Lutheran Church.

I like an espresso now and then but tend to make my regular coffee at home thru a Mr. Coffee type drip set up. I have my mom's elegant Danish drip server but haven't taken it out for a test drive yet. A little milk and sugar 99% of the time, now and again just black.

Out this way I can find Don Francisco's Hawiian Blend or MJB's Hawiian Blend in many stores. Both I like a lot, but I usually have a second brand in the house so I can change up and not get bored with the one flavor. Trader Joe's has some interesting ones and they are not super expensive so you can try out some nice whole bean coffees. They have really good grinders there in the coffee section usually. However most flavored coffees make my stomach hurt so I steer clear of them.

Anybody remember the A&P coffee isle with the grinder there too? I have always loved the smell of fresh ground coffee and that is a pleasant memory from childhood.

You're the cream in my coffee!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
ClothesHorse said:
Percolater? The worst way? Surely this is worse:

I've made cowboy coffee with a boiler, just dumpa in coffe and boil away to desired darkeness/bitterness. Drop an egg in to settle the grounds, and drink away. GOD its awful! But I'll still make a pot every once in a blue moon for nostalgia.

CH

Cowboy coffee is similar to French Press - ground beans in the glass pot, almost boiling water (don't want to break the glass) a strainer and a few minutes of patience. Very rich and nutty. I put cinnamon in the grounds and sometimes a dash of vanilla in when I pour the water.
french-press-coffee-maker.jpg

SpatzKat

New in Town
Call me strange but I grind it by hand and then put it in a french press. No flavorings for me but my Lady does like the Torani syrups to add after the espresso has steeped in the press. It's actually quite nice without the mess of using a machine.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
While I dabble in the occasional Latte, or cappuccino, mostly I like my coffee to just taste like coffee.

Sometimes that is very hard to find in the era of fast food. Sometimes, I walk in to the local gas-n-go, and am immediately given heart burn, from just the aroma of burnt coffee in the air.

Lately, I've been buying a German import called Jacobs Krönung. Very smooth, and doesn't have the acid that a Columbian has.

Lone_Ranger said:
I walk in to the local gas-n-go, and am immediately given heart burn, from just the aroma of burnt coffee in the air.

From a technical point of view for the best coffee you are supposed to make new pot every 20 minutes to be fresh and taste fresh. That was the 7-11 policy some time ago.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
From a technical point of view for the best coffee you are supposed to make new pot every 20 minutes to be fresh and taste fresh. That was the 7-11 policy some time ago.

I agree! John, we have two big chain stores, the one has very good coffee, and they do keep it fresh. The other chain, well, all I can say is that, you can eat it with a spoon.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:

It's also the Tim Horton's approach. They advertise their coffee pots as having a 20 minute life expectancy!

There is a place called La Mill in the LA Area that was the subject of an entire Huell Howser show on PBS that's a super gormet coffee house.

They don't make pots or urns of coffee to serve, each cup is brewed fresh! Looked like a cool place and they have this science club vacuum brewer that looks pretty wild.

LA MILL
1636 Silver Lake Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90026

(323) 663-4441

I am hoping to check it out some time soon. I am brewing coffee as I write this!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
You may not know it but: Coffee, is the life blood of many Lutherans. The Sacramental wine maybe in an unlocked cabinet but the coffee is under lock and key at many a Lutheran Church.
I know that Louie brew from my dad's people. I call it Klatschkaffee - kinda weak, so persons of all ages and stomachs can drink cup after cup and "visit."

Besides church fellowship hours, you can get it at any pancake house or main street tin-spoon joint in Iowa or Minnesota.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I love coffee..and I like to try all different types too. Haven't found a favorite yet. One of these days I am going to fork out the cash for some Kopi Luwak.

jack2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda