Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coffee/ Espresso/ other

It's a great thing to get to try a wide variety of coffees from all over.
I haven't been to a local roaster yet.
I tried the Jamaican Blue Mountain and it was nice but I like the Kona coffee better.
Some of the Cost Plus stores have unusual coffee.
Trader Joes had a Peaberry that was a favorite of mine.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
As a newbie to this thread, let me introduce myself. I'm a wine professional, not a coffee professional, although I would argue that coffee can be judged like fine wine. After decades of drinking every style of coffee I find myself back to the basics.

I start my day with coffee made in a French Press, I use Kirkland Signature House Blend coffee beans which is actually Starbucks French Roast (roasted a hair lighter) at less than half the price. I feel the French press makes the best coffee because it does not filter out the oils and fine matter that gives coffee it's rich mouthfeel and flavor. I use a drop of Half & Half to tone down the tannins and bring out the flavor and absolutely no sugar or sweeteners.

During the day at my wineshop I make espresso using a Nespresso machine which uses their proprietary pods. The Nestle Co of Switzerland is actually the worlds largest roaster of coffee beans and they make about a dozen different pods ranging in strength and flavor profile, but all top quality coffees. As much as i would love to learn to be a "Barista" and pull a perfect shot from a Pavoni, I don't have the time or the money(for the Pavoni) plus no matter how you handle it you will end up with a clean-up and wasted beans. The Nespresso machines have a sophisticated heating element and pump which produces a perfect shot in 10 seconds on demand. You get a perfect crema and just the right serving temperature.

I know I'm going to take flak from the hard core home baristas but if you want a very good espresso drink fast and easy with no mess or waste then the Nespresso system is the way to go, the pods cost $.55 to $.60 which is not a lot if you calculate how much espresso beans you will waste or throw away trying to do it the traditional way.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I used to be a coffee professional (primary taster/buyer for a high end coffee store and cafe before Starbucks hit the East Coast). When drinking drip coffee, I like a Kenya AA or the Tanzanian Peaberry. My preferred coffee drink is Turkish coffee, served with lots of sugar and a touch of cardamon.

Digger4Glory

New in Town
Coffee with French Chicory root

I like most people started to drink coffee to do the wake up and work thing. Years ago, I worked at a Cajun place that made their coffee by adding chicory. This is how they stretched coffee at war time but the flavor it adds is deep, so its still used in New Orleans. If you like a strong but flavorful cup of coffee, pick up the french/Italian Roast from Zabars and you can get the pure chicory from orleans coffee exchange. Get the beans whole and grind them to do this right, so you get the cream of the bean. Serve this with a dark chocolate cake with rasberries. Do this with that special gal and all is right with the world!

RedPop4

One Too Many
I love coffee so many ways, but all of it is dependent upon time.
As a snob, to a certain extent, most "grocery store" or pre-ground coffee is stale from the moment you open the bag. If you've ever had fresh roast, you can immediately smell the difference.

I've roasted my own for about five years, but in the past 9 months or so, I haven't had the time to sit outside and do it. So I've actually regressed just a little, but I've also found that my palate just isn't THAT demanding, after all. Of course the next best thing is whole bean coffee, and grind fresh, which I do.

I've also, in the last couple months started buying the local "grocery store" coffee brands again. We have some REALLY good ones here in New Orleans. So I'm back to Luzianne, and RT, as well as the Rouse's Grocery house brand which is every inch as good. What we've taken to doing is blending a bag of dark roast with a bag of medium roast (with chicory)

My only other issue is that I can get a pound of green beans for the same price, or close to it, as a 12 or 13 oz. bag of low end (but still potable) grocery store coffee. That's how they get you, they''ve decreased the old pound bag by three or four onces, but still charge the same for it. So I have this dilemma every time I run out......"I SHOULD go outside and roast, I SHOULD go outside and roast and save myself some money."

My French Press at home is cracked, so I"m using an Ibrik (it's all I have) and an AeroPress in my office. The morning coffee klatsch uses a Mr. Coffee.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
As a young single guy with lots of time and some spare change, I used to hit the Tea Leaf and Coffee bean chain for Kenyan beans. I ground my own, and brewed it in a Mr. Coffee type set up.

Then, as young newly-weds, the Missus and I splurged for this Braun tower rig that ground the beans and brewed the coffee, all with a timer. You could hear the grinder from the other side of the house, sort of like a motorboat accelerating.

It broke down several times, then when it was discontinued we couldn't get it repaired anymore.

Now, as an established family man and commuter, I've gone back to the Mr. Coffee, now with built-in timer, and Folger's heaviest roast. We have a little grinder some where, but we don't indulge in beans any more.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
I'm more of a tea drinker myself, but sometimes noting beats a good cup of coffee. There is a splendid tea and coffee merchand near where I live that does a splendid coffee named 'Haiti Voodoo Comet' which is my absolute favourite. It is very dark with lots of depth of flavour and very smooth with only the faintest bitter edge.

My espresso pot went the way of the dodo and I currently have a cafetiére and an ancient enamel coffee pot that sits on the stove and that does me nicely.

cupcake

Familiar Face
RedPop4 said:
most "grocery store" or pre-ground coffee is stale from the moment you open the bag. If you've ever had fresh roast, you can immediately smell the difference.

Yes yes YES! Coffee goes stale about 2 weeks after roasting so it's best to find coffee roasted locally and grind as you need it.

cupcake

Familiar Face
BinkieBaumont said:
"Heaven knows i'm definitely a tea person but I do have,coffee, chez Binkie, but then I do, Grind , and store it in the Ice Box, I never have complaints, after Dinner"

Binkie, I'd suggest storing it in an airtight container at room temperature. Extreme temperature changes cause coffee to go stale. You'll notice a difference in the flavour, promise.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
cupcake said:
Binkie, I'd suggest storing it in an airtight container at room temperature. Extreme temperature changes cause coffee to go stale. You'll notice a difference in the flavour, promise.

That is correct - coffee gets ruined in the fridge...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
cupcake said:
simply SHOWING them the difference between fresh and stale coffee should be more than enough to convince the non believers.

Yes, thats a good idea in theory, but Im not interested in keeping weeks-opened frozen and room-temp containers of the same coffee at my place for that purpose.

Especially since its not life-or-death, if people arent interested in trying a suggestion, then so be it. [huh] :)

RC

New in Town
Mr. RC uses Arabica beans and a cold brew contraption like this: http://www.toddycafe.com/ to make our coffee. I bet you could just use a recycled mason jar though and strain with some layers of cheesecloth. You grind the beans and pour cold water over the grounds, then let the whole thing steep about 12 hours on the counter. What you get is a coffee concentrate that you can mix with hot water (1/3). The concentrate stays fresh in the fridge for a week or so, and the resulting beverage is incredibly smooth and low in acid.

matei

One Too Many
I'll chime in with my 2p (great jersey by the way scottyrocks, go Pens)...

I love a proper shot of espresso. Not burned, not diluted...

I usually start my day off with a single shot straight - no sugar. If a shot is pulled properly, it won't be bitter at all. That is enough to keep me going for most of the day.

I've tried all sorts of beans, from the exotic to the run-of-the-mill, and my favourite for consistency and taste is the somewhat less-than-exotic Illy espresso. I always manage to get great espresso, whether I use their pods, pre-ground or if I grind the beans myself. Coffee purists might turn their collective nose up at my humble bean of choice, but it works for me.

Said purists would also probably scorn my espresso machine... a FrancisFrancis X1, in shocking red. Many aficionados dismiss the X1 as all style, no substance, but one needs to know how to properly use it. I've had it for 4 years, and it works great (and looks good too). I have no problems (touch wood) with pressure or tank temperature.

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
Here is a picture of my machine. It is from Aviano Italy, the gentleman I bought it for picked up while deployed there for the Bosnian campaign.

DSC03086.jpg

Steven180

One of the Regulars
It always ends up being about the simple pleasures of life...

GREAT thread, appreciate the eclectic angles!

For what it's worth, if you don't specifically mind fast coffee in your day I highly recommend the Keurig K-Cup series. Have had one for about three years now and after enjoying a cup at the house just about all my friends have bought one themselves. I wish I had bought stock in the company. I also understand they have an exceptional points system when you buy coffee through the company that pays you back handsomely. But at the end of the day, clearly the best cup of coffee outside of an expresso machine or coffee press.

Additionally, if you're into trying different brands of whole beans, recommend the Dancing Goats Blend from Batdorf & Bronson's Roasters of the Olympia, Washington area.

Also a quick personal experience; I once had an instructor in college who was second generation Russian immigrant. He used to tell of his parents using a Samovar to brew their coffee, but they would break a fresh egg on top of the grind and then sprinkle a dash of salt on top of that before starting the process. You could just see hear the yearning when he used to speak of it.

And don't miss the chance to try a Cuban Cafe con Leche!

Best to all,
M.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran