• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Coffee Grinders

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by Brian Sheridan, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Who here has a vintage coffee bean grinder? Can you share of picture of it? I was thinking about getting one off of Ebay but wanted to see and hear recommendations from all of you. I'm guessing that most are the hand-cranked kind. Do those work well? Thanks for posting.

2. vitanola

vitanola My Mail is Forwarded Here

The Arcade Crystal No. 3 or Crystal No. 4 are by far my favorite coffee mills. They are adjustable to any grind, and are quick and convenient to use. arcade 1927No4Ad.jpg

The original Hobart KitchenAid A-9 electric grinder of 1939 is also easily available, and is a good grinder, though not quite as simple to use as the Arcade.

il_570xN.780528679_97un.jpg

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  3. robrinay

robrinay Practically Family

I've got a vintage Peugeot hand crank grinder missing its lid but it still works. They made bikes and these before they turned to auto manufacture. Interestingly the sections of the grinder are attached by shortened bike wheel spokes. They have a great Art Deco look are adjustable and grind well although it takes me around 26 full turns to grind 1 measure - good exercise though! They grind slowly they don't overheat the coffee grounds as do some electric grinders so the flavour is good.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Hurricane Jack likes this.
  4. BobHufford

BobHufford My Mail is Forwarded Here

My daily grind ... it came from my wife's great-grandmother's small grocery store.

[​IMG]

5. robrinay

robrinay Practically Family

I saw one similar to this on American Pickers - or possibly Pawn Stars?

BobHufford likes this.
  6. I had a hand-cranked grinder, but got rid of it, as it took me about ten minutes to grind a pot's worth of coffee. That's not the sort of thing I need to be doing before I've even had my coffee.

KarlCrow likes this.
  7. vitanola

vitanola My Mail is Forwarded Here

A cheap or poorly designed hand grinder is a vexation to the spirit in the morning, but a quality unit like the Arcade or Enterprise mills are no trouble to use at all,. Grinding coffee becomes a pleasant ritual, with the odor of the freshly ground beans heightening the anticipation of one's first heavenly cup.

BobHufford and St. Louis like this.