Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Football!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Campus Hooligans

Rick Blaine said:
... sorry JJ, but I grew up in Athens (GA) & those Red & Black clad morons have spoiled more weekends of mine over the last 40 yrs. than I care to think. For some reason these jackholes think a season ticket is a free pass to trash my hometown. If the best time of your life was when you attended University some three decades ago... well, that is just sad, is all I can say.
The Sun AM collection of chicken bones, beer cans & vomit on our lovely 200+ yr. old campus nothing short of revolting. GO DAWGS? yeah, :rage: GO AWAY! :rage:

Could not agree more, there is no excuse for this behavior. Perhaps the
college administration should practice more "loco parentis."

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
ufguy11 said:
ClassicisBetter, do you still go to GS? I know a couple of people that go there now.

I graduated in 2001. I haven't been back since. I really should pay a visit to the campus, especially when my grandparents are only 30 minutes away. They'll be having a Hall of Fame induction ceremony this year, presumably for Adrian Peterson and the other players from the infamous '95-'01 period. I hope to go to that.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
GO COUGS!!

I'm a Crimson-and-Grey bleeding Washington State University Cougar!

Greycoug-redsquare-avatar.jpg

I grew up in Pullman, my dad taught at WSU for 34 years, and I was on faculty there for five years. All four kids in my family went to WSU, and all four in my wife's family went there. I'm Vice-President of the WSU Alumni Association this year, President next year.

And I created the Colorado Cougs web page for the Colorado district.

Last week they went to Auburn and took a 40-14 licking, but after watching that game, I think we're going to do a lot of damage in the PAC-10 this year. Holding the #4 team in the country to field goals on its first four posessions didn't hurt my feelings a bit.

GO, COUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Citizen Ed

Familiar Face
I LIVE for this time of year (well that and the wife). I pore over every sports website, newspaper/magazine article, and season preview annuals as if they had the unification theory encoded in them. I'll spend hours/days/weeks comparing team depth charts, roster changes, coaching staffs, strength of scheduals and look for any definable trends that occur. And after all this preperation I chuck it all out the window and pick my Beloved Bengals and Buckeys to win year after year.

It's different this year though. I'm still picking the 'gals and Bucks to win but this year it's going to happen. Ohio's gonna be doin' some serious spankin'.
Really.
I can feel it in my bones,,, again.

221b

Familiar Face
Washington State

Being a New England Patriots fan, I am a fan of Drew Bledsoe even though he is now on the Cowboys. Drew Bledsoe went to WSU so I have nothing bad so say about them:D

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
ClassicIsBetter said:
How are you guys liking Coach Johnson? He was our coach for a long time (Georgia Southern), coached GSU to a National Championship many times. His triple option play is still famous down in these parts. In fact, Georgia Tech agreed to play GSU if they did not run that play.

I wouldn't know about that, I only became really, excitedly interested last year when my house started getting the College Sports Network. I admit my love is a bit of girly asthetic in that my main thrill about the Navy in general has always been the uniform. So when it comes to the football team (besides my preference for the Navy) there's the whole lot of those wonderful boys streaming out of the stands to do their point push-up count. And the blushing doesn't end there...:) :p

I'm such a girly girl, I really do love football, but the looks are what's most important.

L_H

ufguy11

One of the Regulars
I love Dallas and Bledsoe. I grew up in Texas loving the Cowboys so I watch whenever I get a chance.

Also, who's going for South Carolina in the SC vs. GA game?

J.J.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Is it at the UGA stadium?

Not to hijack the thread, but -
Erk Russell died this morning. The defensive coordinator for UGA during Vince Dooley's reign. He also created the Georgia Southern (where I went) football program, and coached them to 3 national championships before retiring, and won 3 more since... My fondest memory of him was during the 2000 national chamionship. We were playing Youngstown State, from Ohio. They trashed talked us, threw things at us and made fun of us after they scored first. It was the only touchdown they had and we beat them by more than 50 points. Erk smoked a cigar after every win (never during a win out of respect to the other team), but this time he did during the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter. He turned around and wave his cigar, and the crowd went nuts... Saw him around campus a few times. Very classy, peaceful guy. Rest in peace Erk.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
221b and UFguy11, I agree that Drew Bledsoe is one of the class guys in football. He may not be mobile, but he's a tough guy, a real gent and a very approachable, down to earth person. He's great with Cougs and alumni. I've never been a Cowboys fan, but as long as Drew is their QB I'm pulling for them every game!

WSU is known as a QB school: Jack Thompson (Bengals), Mark Rypien (Redskins, Super Bowl MVP), Drew Bledsoe (NE, Buffalo, Cowboys), Timm Rosenbach (Cardinals - now WSU QB Coach), and the much-discussed Ryan Leaf (who knew he would self-implode?).

WSU plays University of Idaho tomorrow - two land-grant universities located only 8 miles away from each other, on the Washington-Idaho border. For the past 10 years, Idaho has played their home games in WSU's stadium. The game is made much more interesting because Dennis Erickson has returned to coach Idaho after coaching at WSU, Miami, the Seahawks and 49'ers. The athletic director at Idaho got brave, called Erickson and asked if he would come back and coach Idaho (after getting dropped by the 49'ers). Erickson surprised everyone by saying yes. And last week, lowly Idaho gave Michigan State an awfully good game before losing. So they are on the road to rapid improvement.

Ya gotta love yer alma mater, don'cha?

GO, COUGS!!!

WSU FIGHT SONG

Fight, fight, fight for Washington State! Win the victory!
Win the day for Crimson and Gray!
Best in the West, we know you'll all do your best, so...
On, on, on, on! Fight to the end!
Honor and Glory you must win!
So fight, fight, fight for Washington State and victory!

Listen to the fight song here: it's a good one!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I -hate- this time of year.....

The yearly hassle that is the USC football season is upon my neighbourhood. I live 5 blocks from campus and 10 or so large blocks from the stadium.

Tomorrow's game starts at 5pm. This translates into me either being home by noon at the latest and not leaving in the car again, or leaving and not going back until well after midnight.

People will start parking in any and all available spots on my street starting about noon. Moving a car -out- of a perfectly good parking spot, can only be done in case of emergency or if I know I won't need to go back to the house until well after the horror is over.

I can't wait for January.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Notre Dame Update

:( Michigan's defense was outstanding; poor Irish execution. A time to
regroup and get back on track for Michigan State.

panamag8or

Practically Family
photobyalan said:
ufguy11,

I have been meaning to PM you for some time to confirm that you are a Gator.

Here's a photo of me in my favorite shirt.

panama10-2.jpg

People who have never seen a college football game in the south have no idea what they are missing. There is no comparison between the SEC and the NFL. I'd rather see an SEC game any day.

Heck yeah! I was born and bred a Gator. I grew up in Gainesville and was in the Gator band for 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot