Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cologne and perfume

vintage68

Practically Family
Gotta admit I have a weakness for a woman wearing Channel 5. Of course it's all a matter of personal taste and the way the perfume reacts to your body chemistry.

A lot of the modern fragrances have WAAAAAAY to much alchohol in them, you can smell 'em a mile out! I'm a firm believer in the notion that one should wear it for yourself and that certain someone close enough to smell it on your neck...but then I'm old fashioned.

Regards! Vintage

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
vintage68 said:
Surprised no one has mentioned it, but I strictly wear the cologne favored by Bogart and Cary Grant–– Acqua Di Parma.

Cary Grant wore Green Irish Tweed as well. Creed created GIT for CG and only offered it to the public after his passing.

olive bleu

One Too Many
this is my favourite by Guerlain, but i can't really afford it...maybe santa will bring me some( L'Heure Bleu)

produit.asp

i also like

f04893_dt.jpg

My favorite for men is "Grey Flannel"... Brings me to my knees;)
thumbnail.aspx

lindylady

A-List Customer
VargasGirl said:
I wanted to buy Chanel No. 5 for the vintage/classic connection, but I took a wiff and was not impressed. Is it an aquired smell, or am I nuts?[huh]

I think it is an acquired smell. I know a few women who don't prefer the powdery scent. Some also claim that it reminds them of their grandmother lol It depends on your personal preferences.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Special occasion ones:
Drakkar Noir - My wife's favorite
Ferrari Black

Everyday ones:
Art of Shaving Sandalwood or Caswell-Massey Sandalwood. This depends on which aftershave balm I use.

I do want to try some Bay Rum though.

absynth

New in Town
VargasGirl said:
I wanted to buy Chanel No. 5 for the vintage/classic connection, but I took a wiff and was not impressed. Is it an aquired smell, or am I nuts?[huh]

Oh I totally agree with you VargasGirl. I think that Chanel NO.5 just stinks!!! I worked as a perfume rep and could never figure out why so many people liked that smell so much. One little piece of info on it that most people do not know is that Coco Chanel never even created it. She had her perfume people come up with a bunch of scents and then just chose the 5th bottle in the row because she had this obbession with the number 5. I find that so funny. I do agree that it smells nice on some people because it works well with their body chemistry but most of the time, I just think that it smells like a church full of elderly ladies got squeezed into a bottle, it is so strong and cloying.(you know, cause they all tend to wear floral scents like rose, lilac,lily etc.) Sorry if there was any offense taken. None was meant:)

Brooksie

One Too Many
I wear Shalimar, I like that it was created in the 1920's. It has the tendancy to go kind of powdery on a lot of women, so a lot of women do not like it but it seems to work well with my chemistry.

Brooksie

Tourbillion

Practically Family
It seems that most of my current favorites are vintage ones, but then the ones that are sold for many years are usually the good ones.

My favorite house is Caron:
N'aimez que Moi - 1917 violets and vanilla, from WWI for the soldiers to give to their sweethearts.

Tabac Blond - from 1919 for androgynous 20's woman, it smells of tobacco and leather, intense.

Or et Noir - Amber and Rose from 1949

Narcisse Noir 1911 and the beautiful Farnesiana from 1947 too.

My favorite Chanel's are Bois de Iles (1926) and Cuir de Russie (1924).

Creed's Angelique Encens from 1933 is wonderful.

Then there's Guerlain, my favorites are Apr?®s L'ond?©e from 1906 and L'Heure Bleue from 1912.

I don't know how I lived before Habanita by Molinard, from 1921. It is meant to evoke the scent of Cuban cigar girls. I don't know why, but I certainly love tobacco scents and leathers.

Speaking of leathers let's not forget the unusual Bandit by Piguet from 1944.

Arp?®ge (1927) by Lanvin is lovely when I need something entirely different, so light and powdery.

My favorite modern perfumers are Serge Lutens at Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido, Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle, and Montale.

I have rather expensive taste, unfortunately. :(

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I used to wear LouLou regularly, but gave up wearing perfume when I had a roommate who was allergic to many perfumes. For a while, I wore Egyptian Amber perfumed oil, which didn't make the roomie sick...always a good thing!

Recently, I have decided that a nice perfume would be an appropriate reward for myself when I've reached my first weight-loss goal. I haven't smelled perfume in a very long time, so reading this thread and the "Confessions of a Fragrance Junkie" thread is giving me a lot of ideas.

At the local high-class mall, I stopped by a perfume kiosk and asked the young lady if she had Bain de Champagne. She had no idea what I was talking about. :eusa_doh:

Does anyone know where in Dallas I can go for educated perfume service?

--Leslie

Project20.png

Some scents from the "Regular Guy Collection" available at a drug store near you!

4711 the original Cologne from Cologne Germany the 4711 is the street address. Clean scent.

Agua Lavanda Puig fabulous, noted as a Frank Sinatra favorite.

Pinaud Lime Sec lovely Lime, Pinaud Bay rum. Bay Rum is a manly scent and barbershop favorite, some people find it compelling.

Murray & Lanman's Florida Water - a classic scent Orange Blossoms, citrus and spicy.

Pinaud's Clubman - another barber shop favorite with a musk & vanilla version.

Pinaud is classic barbershop.

P

Phaedra

I have several right now: Liz Claiborne (original), Ann Taylor, DKNY Red Delicious, Obsession and Realities.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
RaasAlHayya said:
I used to wear LouLou regularly, but gave up wearing perfume when I had a roommate who was allergic to many perfumes. For a while, I wore Egyptian Amber perfumed oil, which didn't make the roomie sick...always a good thing!

Recently, I have decided that a nice perfume would be an appropriate reward for myself when I've reached my first weight-loss goal. I haven't smelled perfume in a very long time, so reading this thread and the "Confessions of a Fragrance Junkie" thread is giving me a lot of ideas.

At the local high-class mall, I stopped by a perfume kiosk and asked the young lady if she had Bain de Champagne. She had no idea what I was talking about. :eusa_doh:

Does anyone know where in Dallas I can go for educated perfume service?

--Leslie

It is next to impossible to find Caron in the US. I've heard the NY store closed. My local perfume boutique has stopped carrying it, and I've heard that no one imports it anymore.

Plus Royal Bain de Champagne was sued and is now called Bain de Caron. I bought a bottle at a perfume store in Torrance, CA last year that still carries Caron, but not the exclusives. Your best bet is ebay or www.perfumebay.com.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Tourbillion said:
It is next to impossible to find Caron in the US. I've heard the NY store closed. My local perfume boutique has stopped carrying it, and I've heard that no one imports it anymore.

Plus Royal Bain de Champagne was sued and is now called Bain de Caron. I bought a bottle at a perfume store in Torrance, CA last year that still carries Caron, but not the exclusives. Your best bet is ebay or www.perfumebay.com.

Thank you for the info, Tourbillion! That's what I meant by "educated".

I hesitate to buy perfume without smelling it first, so if I find something at Nieman's that I like, I may see if Perfume Bay has it for less. I wonder if I can get a sample of Bain de Champagne/Caron for a resonable cost?

--Leslie

Edited to add:

Yes, Perfume Bay has samples! Yay!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21