Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cologne and perfume

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tourbillion said:
It is next to impossible to find Caron in the US. I've heard the NY store closed. My local perfume boutique has stopped carrying it, and I've heard that no one imports it anymore.

You may find some leads at the Perfume of Life forum. POL also has a program where members swap perfume, across the country and the world.

BigSho

Vendor
I have been wearing Aqua Di Gio by Armani since I was about 14, and I get more Jeremies you smell good than I can count. Have a GIANT bottle in my car at all times. :D

Jeremy

pablocham

One of the Regulars
I should start by saying how much I hate standing near men who smell like cologne. It always makes me think that they are covering up for some unimaginably strong body odor. So I ten to gravitate toward citrus

Three I wear really often:

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Guerlain's Vetiver
Acqua di Parma

three that I like that are very similar to Acqua di Parma:
Santa Maria Novella
Guerlain Imperiale

Some that I like, but don't wear too often:
Any decent Bay Rum
Chanel Pour Homme
Old Spice
Any thing a barber puts on my head.

olive bleu

One Too Many
My all-time favourite is "L'Heure Bleu" from Guerlain.

lheure-bleue-by-guerlain-1012319.jpg

not that i can often afford it.

Today I am wearing a sample from L'Occitane, "
00000211.jpg

it has a definite "lemony" smell... I smell like i have been soused in Limoncello lol

Grace

Vendor
I must have very strange body chemistry, as most perfumes completely change scent once on my skin. I wore Clinique Happy for years. Now, I don't like how it smells.

After lusting after a bottle of Chanel No. 5 (one of the only perfumes that actually smells good on me) my husband bought me a bottle last Christmas. It's not even half gone yet, because I only wear it on special occasions. I feel it's a waste if I wear it with jeans and flats!

My grandma wore Shalimar, and whenever I smell it I am taken back to her giving me a big bear hug. I love scent/memory connections. :)

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
I mostly wear Hugo, Obsession, Clinique Simply and Mary Kay Genji.

I'd love something new, but the perfume counters are almost overwhelming! :rolleyes:

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I'm pretty sensitive to smells. Strong perfume literally takes my breath away...:eek: A light scent is fine though...something that smells natural. For myself, Bay Rum is the stuff! ;)

My dad used to wear Pinaud Clubman. I always liked that too. He hasn't had any in a while.....Hey, I'm thinkin' Christmas gift!!!

Daniel

Familiar Face
For me, it's Eau Savage by Dior, introduced in 1966 (not Eau Sauvage Extreme, as that's a much newer scent.) It goes on lemony, and completely goes away quickly -- unless you're physically very close to someone. Before I discovered this scent, I also liked Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch.

I adore smelling Chanel No. 5 on a woman. My eight year-old son wanted to try cologne/scents, so I bought him a stick of Old Spice deoderant. Can't go wrong starting with the classics, however proletarian!

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
I like Chanel Chance...it's sorta my signature scent. I was wearing it at a weekender a few years ago and had some of the OLSC boys running up to me asking to sniff my wrists all night so I guess it works for me!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kinder, gentler, cheaper...

I am a big fan of Yves St. Laurent's Paris, and also Dior's Poison, but soooo much money... plus, many of the real perfumes still use civet as a fixative, to hold the scent. Now civet is the scrapings of the anal glands of civet cats, a wild cat from Asia. Two icky things about that, wild cats should not be shut up in cages and scraped daily, it's evil. And anal glands? Puh-leese...
So, every time I go to Mexico City (about once a year) I stock up at the local perfumeria - they make brilliant knock-offs, using all the same floral and woodsy stuff, that smell identical and have no civet! And so they are kinder. Granted, they wear off in about half the time, but since it costs 1/20th the price, it is not a problem, you can bathe in it.
They are not all foul and acrid like the drugstore knockoffs that are all chemicals, either.
I have done comparisons with the real thing and the fake and asked the salesgirls at the perfume counter at Saks to identify, and they can't tell the difference! So I stick to my knockoffs.
My hubby tends to wear the knockoff version of Aramis, which should creep me out as my dad wears it too, but somehow it doesn't...

Edward

Bartender
I use a scented anti-perspirent, the theory being that if the anti-perspirent effect fails, the scent might help a little. Otherwise, nothing. I dislike aftershave and such immensely - I don't know exactly why, it's just not my bag. I did wear aftershave years ago, but never sicne I grew old enough to shave regularly. [huh] I'd love to be able to find a post-shaving balm that would have the soothing effect without the smell - alas to date I've not been able to find anything unscented in that deaprtment.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Nivea for Men Extra Soothing Balm, rather easy to get (Sainsbury's for instance).

The inevitable "unscented" scent that all lotions have is very weak and, more importantly, short-lived. What I like about this is that it's absorbed by the skin really fast - I hate the shmear and smell of creams and lotions and with other after-shave balms, I used to go and wash my hands in mild disgust every time I accidentally rested my chin on them.

deelovely

Practically Family
Well I am a perfume addict [huh] continuously buying different ones, but my all time favorites and the ones I get the most compliments on are Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel, Hypnotic Poison by Dior and Euphoria by Calvin Klein. Ahhhh... HEAVEN!!!lol :D

deelovely

Practically Family
CharlestonBows said:
Sporty daytime - Z Zegna or Sean John Unforgivable (new, but I like it!)

Dressy daytime - Classic Polo or, more recently Polo Double Black

Evening - Floris No. 89
Oooohhhh, Unforgiveable... I LOVE the smell of that one!!:) And I haven't smelled any of the Polo colognes that I haven't liked a LOT as well! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy