Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cologne and perfume

Grant Fan

Practically Family
My perfume is most certainly not vintage it is Vera Wang Princess it pretty much only smells like vanilla (my favorite smell) but not that syrupy sweet vanilla, it's quite nice , and it stays all day which is also great.
product_s499.jpg

Annichen said:
I am curious to know about popular 1920s/30s perfume brands for men? Anyone..?

I don't know much about them but I had heard that the use of colognes and aftershaves for men have gone thru great pendulum swings of use and little use over time and in various regions. There is a reference to aftershave in the book "Day of the Jackal" where the customs guys are perturbed by some in the Jackal's toilet kit.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My current Favourites...

Mostly, I like scents with leather, coffee, tobacco, chocolate in them. Three of these suit that and have that 'old time' masculine scent. Two of them (Aqua di Parma; Knize Ten) are real Golden Era scents that were worn by many famous movie stars and those in the pubic eye of the times.

Jo Malone (Black Vetyver Cafe) I love just because of that deep Parisian Coffee scent to it.

The ONE fragrance that is different (and good for daytime wear) is the light and fresh fragrance of Aqua di Parma (from the 1920's) - the other's are more musky, masculine and richly deep in their tones (which I personally like).

PERFUME002.jpg

PERFUME003.jpg

LordBest

Practically Family
I've only started wearing eau de cologne quite recently, only two bottles in my collection at present, Dolce & Gabbana 'The One' and Polo Modern Reserve. Rather fond of both of them.

Has anyone had any experience with the original eau de cologne, Farina 1709 Original?
http://www.farina1709.com/

grundie

One of the Regulars
I have a rotation of favourite scents.

Truefit and Hill Spanish Leather
Trumper's Sandalwood - My wife HATES this.
Paco Rabana Pour Homme
Brut - Yes, I know, sorry. It's a nostalgia thing foir me.
Givenchy Pi - Bought for me as a joke (I'm a math geek), but now a favourite.
Trumper's Extract of Lime.

If I had to pick a favourite it would be Trumper's Sandalwood, even though my wife detests it.

RobStC

A-List Customer
My 'everyday' is Trumpers Spanish Leather, with Trumpers West Indian Limes coming into play on summer days :).

My 'evening' is Creed Cuir de Russie (Russian Leather); an odd fragrance, but I love it. Fortunately, so does my wife..... Would be my everyday one if a) it wasn't so damnably expensive, and b) it wasn't so hard to get hold of. Apparently it is only available from the Creed store in Paris, and sometimes Harrods have had it in stock in London (anyone know any different?). Have bought it from both in the past, but unfortunately I haven't managed to get to Paris for a while now to replenish my stocks :(

RobStC

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Chanel No.5 always since i was a teenager, because unfortunately being olive skinned alot of the floral perfumes smell just plain wrong on me! Shame! Although i did recently try Stella McCartney's new nude perfume and that smelled of Lily of the Valley after it had settled a bit and was really nice, so there may be hope! I don't think you can beat the classices for men, my Dad always wears Paco Rabanne and Eau Sauvage and smell great, but then i'm probably biased!

davestlouis

Practically Family
A funeral home where I used to work used Chanel No.5 to cover unpleasant smells in visitation parlors, I've never smelled it on a live person.

D

Deleted member 12480

Coty L'aimant.

Only around £5 at my local Boots and lovely... almost soapy? smell.

xx

D

Deleted member 12480

And I wish this was a perfume. It just smells beautiful.

RBWBHW.png

Wild Bluebell and Hyacinth

xx

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
I like Creed's Green Irish Tweed. Its not vintage, but it was originally made for Cary Grant. And while Green Irish Tweed is not vintage, Cary Grant was.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I didn't see this addressed anywhere else, but I thought I'd add it here instead of starting a whole new thread. If a Bartender thinks it warrants a new thread, then they'll move it, I'm sure :)

I'm curious-- what is your favorite scent on the opposite sex?

I'm shopping for a new scent, and I like so many of them that I think it would be a good idea to make my final decision on what might be most attractive to the fellas. :rolleyes: He he-- just kidding, but I would like some input!

My favorite scent on men is Polo (in the green bottle).

davestlouis

Practically Family
This might get me laughed out of here, but I had a GF when I was about 17 who wore Love's Baby Soft, of all things. I followed her around like a puppy. I haven't smelled it since, and it's probably gross, but, ah, the memories.

My wife uses a vanilla-scented body spray that smells tasty too, but no scent beyond that.

HepKitty

One Too Many
My all-time favorite perfume is Cassini. It's really strong and heavy though, so I don't wear it often. Other nice ones are Colors (old bottle, smells better than my new one), Fred Hayman 273, Pan Ame de Patou (love this one, especially for summer), Chanel no5, Tiffany, and this stuff I found recently at the Boise Co-op, Tunisian Jasmine. Also want to get the Persian Rose, maybe next time.

For men, I love A&F and Eternity. 273 isn't bad either

I try to avoid a lot of newer perfumes though, I don't know what garbage they put in them but I'm more likely to have an allergic reaction to them. Kinda like all scented laundry detergents, can't use them at all [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails