Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Very cute new av Lizzie!:eusa_clap I love your dress

These are such great stories!

BegintheBeguine said:
I want to see the red shoes, CanadaDoll!
A picture of my lucky red shoes as you requested:) here they are at last!(the camera cord has been MIA)
IMG_0135.jpg

Kimberly

Practically Family
Beau, I understand what you mean about appreciation for fine clothing, tailroing, etc. I have a fairly good amount of non-vintage clothes I have accumulated over the years (but never wear surprise, surprise) and I am now going through it all figuring when I am going to sell it all on eBay. What I am realizing is that it is a lot of designer stuff (Chanel, Fendi, Leonard), etc that I bought (at a thrift :D ) because of it's tailoring. Let me tell you CoCo Chanel was a genious when it came to tailoring. I still look at my Chanel Suit in complete awe of how perfect everything is from the chain at the hem of the jacket, to how you can't see any thread on the lining because it is sewn so well. A lot of the clothes out there today lack that unless you are willing to spend big bucks.

Kimberly

Practically Family
I was just told that I look like I belong on a Perry Mason episode, why do I bother. :eusa_doh: lol

On another note, I went to go get coffee this morning and the guy who owns it is a huge big band fan. He asked me about what I was wearing, had to touch it and look at it in detail and said it was stunning. He said he could tell it was vintage because it was made so well. :eusa_clap

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I was having a photoshoot at a harbour yesterday and there was this ship from 1958 where we just had to snap some pics. A older man from the society that restores the ship was letting us on the ship and was amazed on how authentic and natural our photos where (I wore red capris, net-stockings, heels and a shirt with red and white stripes). He was so amazed that he asked me to write down my website-adress and this morning I got a nice mail from him that it brightened up his day when we went visiting him on the ship and I promised to come again some time :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I've been getting a lot of wonderful feedback from the ladies at my church.

Many of the older ladies will come up and ask me about what I am wearing. The most common question I get is "Where on earth did you find your (fill in the blank)?" I have been questioned about my shoes, my stockings, my crinoline, and most recently my gloves. Then, they tell me about how they wore something similar in the past. It is so sweet.

I also caused quite a stir with the ladies when they found out that I made a few of my own dresses. They were very impressed and lamented how sewing is becoming a lost art.

I think my favorite comment was from another of the little old ladies from church who came up and told me how lovely I looked and said that it was so nice to see a young lady dressing with femininity because she so rarely saw it. She oohed and awed over my dress, crinoline and baby doll pumps, and at the end of our conversation she clasped my hand and said "Keep it up!"
I think she made my week!! :D

Shearer

Practically Family
I've been really excited to wear my 50s PORCUPINE blouse :D that I got recently, so today for work I paired it with some vintage high-waist cuffed jeans, a cardigan and some bobby sox with mary janes.

In between chauffeuring my boss around I was in sore need of some coffee and stopped in an unfamiliar Starbucks. The girl there raved over my sunglasses and blouse and jeans... and then as I was leaving told me, "Your my favourite customer ever!" I told her she really made my day... she was very sweet.

Then, screwing around on the computer back at work, I found that the Fug Girls had a rant about high-waisted mom jeans :eusa_doh: I don't care. I still like my pants! :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I will say that that is not a very flattering pair on her. But I don't care what the Fug Girls say--high-waisted jeans are much better choice than those low-waisted monstrosities on most people. ;)

I’ve noticed that I receive more comments (and again, mostly positive) when I am with other people dressed the same way. Walking about Boston with Hemingway and Daisy generated a lot of nice comments (the predominate one being “Are you in a play or movie?”) I will say that is fun to be the most stylishly dressed pair or group in the room; we commanded a lot of attention. ;) (It is also fun to have friends who let you raid their wardrobe—thank you Daisy! I borrowed her brown purse, hence the reason she received the strange comment she mentioned in another thread. :))

When going through security at the airport on Sunday, I received a very enthusiastic response from one of the TSA workers, who wanted to know if I was a model or an actress and told me that he loved the retro look. I do model and told him so, and he asked for my Web site address. lol

Esther May

New in Town
Since living in Miami where people wear almost to nothing, I usually get looks and remarks on why I'm so overdressed. It's ridiculous to think that gals here think a dress with coifed hair and flawless red lippy is too much![huh]

I also get bad remarks on being called snobby. After people get to know me they tell me their first impression of me was they thought I was above them. Maybe it's the way I dress or how I don't slouch over when I walk, but that really irritates me how some people right off the bat judge you..

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
I will say that that is not a very flattering pair on her. But I don't care what the Fug Girls say--high-waisted jeans are much better choice than those low-waisted monstrosities on most people. ;)
What is the deal with young girls with NICE FIGURES who wear these ridiculously low jeans, that make their naturally female, but not oversized by any means, shapes spill out in a way more than unflattering manner??? It's like they're trying to make themselves look downright revolting!!!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
What is the deal with young girls with NICE FIGURES who wear these ridiculously low jeans, that make their naturally female, but not oversized by any means, shapes spill out in a way more than unflattering manner??? It's like they're trying to make themselves look downright revolting!!!

It's often because we have no choice!! Until a couple of months ago, I was one of those gals! I have big hips and a teeny waist, so with low rise pants my hips spill over making me look much bigger than I am. They've only really started making high-waisted pants mainstream in the past couple of months.

The higher waisted jeans I have now, that cover my hips, are designer and were originally $200, but I got them on sale for $60. High-waisted Levi's won't be coming out until mid-June, and I'm sure they'll be expensive too. So don't blame the girls, blame the manufacturers!

Jovan

Suspended
It's true. They don't make many high waisted jeans for women anymore. Levi's has a few that are, but as pigeon toe remarked in an IM conversation of ours, some of them almost cross the line into "mom jeans." Link.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today I'm wearing a black satin puff-sleeve blouse with tiny polka dots and radishes with peplum, a black pencil skirt that hits mid calf with a kick pleat in back, and babydoll maryjanes. It's pretty 40s. Quoth my coworker "You look so 60s today!"

Nashoba

One Too Many
HUGE Ego Boost

I went to the flea market at the state fairgrounds yesterday and wow. I don't think I've ever had so many complete strangers tell me I was beautiful, or that they loved my outfit and hair or that they thought I was cute or lovely. The older ladies and gents would stop me and comment and even the guys my age were doing double takes. Now I don't consider myself the prettiest gal out there but this was almost exhillerating! I had one guy about my age I would guess stop me and ask me if I was a WWII reenactor. I said no, I dress like this pretty much every day. He eyed the vintage blue star pin I was wearing and started to tell me how he was in the Army and would be an officer soon. I told him that the blue star was for my husband who was currently deployed and he actually looked a little dissapointed! Then apologized hoping that he didn't offend me! It was really sweet. I wasn't even dressed to the nines. I was wearing a simple dress (actually it was a black with white floral pattern that I bought at TARGET a couple of weeks ago) simple white shoes and gloves and I found a sweet halo hat early in the day that I decided to wear to complete my outfit and I had my hair up in two reverse rolls. So I've decided that at least once a month when I need an ego boost, I just have to go to the flea market :). I havn't actually felt that pretty in a long time. talk about an ego boost! It just goes to show that when you take even a small amount of time to look presentable it can change your entire outlook for the day!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, last night at the dinner....

A real ditsy woman came up to our party as we were sitting down and just started about our clothes. She meant well, but kept putting her foot in her mouth. "You all are wearing clothes that are antique!?" "They must be so old..." :eusa_doh:

At first we said thanks and continued on with our party, but she kept going, and we got real quiet...She kept in on how 'old' our clohes were. Then MK said "My suit is from 2003." We laughed on the inside. :)

It was so strange, and brash of her to just come up and comment on 15 people like we were in 'costume'.[huh] We were just dressed for dinner, and I guess she could not understand that concept.

LD

pigeon toe

One Too Many
The other day while riding the bus back home from Santa Monica a seriously enthusiastic girl comes up to me, sits down and screams "Oh my god, you're in my film class, I've always noticed you!!!!!! You dress so 50's!!!!!".

She then starts chattering away and says, "The other day, I saw you walking with that guy that dresses like you too, and I though to myself, in these exact words, "THEY MUST BE GOING TO A SWING PARTY!!!!!!!!"

I responded, "Uh, actually, we were just going to class."

She was a theater major, which explains the enthusiasm, but it was still a little frightening!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Tinseltown said:
Is that hebrew writing on your foot?
What does it say?

No it's not Hebrew Tinsel (at least I don't think it is:eek: lol ) according to my research, it's Tibetan script and means 'Happiness':)

Etienne

A-List Customer
Benefits of being "older"!

I attended a ladies' high tea yesterday afternoon at our church. There were about 120 women there and the guest speaker was a prominent political person's wife. I was the only woman there in a hat, gloves, stockings, etc.! Not that I am surprised by that really, though I would have thought that some would at least wear a hat! I wore a very cute wrap dress (vintage inspired but new, with a small print of black, white and a little bit of red.) I wore a 40's red hat with black feather, red gloves, black vintage handbag and black platform ankle-strap, peep-toe high heels. I felt very appropriate for the occasion, as the speaker was well-dressed in a beautiful suit. Many women arrived in jeans! I actually felt a bit sorry for them; there we were at tables appointed to the nines--gorgeous china, silver, collectible tea cups, etc. and they sat there in jeans! Every single woman at my table said very lovely things about the hat, general outfit, etc. but they were all my age or older and were "dressed up".

Also, today at services, the man behind us in church told me I looked beautiful but he missed my hat! (I didn't wear one today.) Guess he must be of the old school! The most important thing is that I feel very feminine in my clothing and my husband can't stop complimenting me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick